Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dear Moderators, Can You Please Notify Us When Our Posts Get Hidden?

Guest Tehnoobshow

Guest Tehnoobshow

@ Tehnoobshow ... I am referring to YouTube taking down vlogs and other information outlets suppressing information during the early phase of the controversy

You know what, I don't actually care that much. I'm just worried about that part of your post, as I feel like it could seriously lead to flaming and eventual thread derailment. Which ironically makes me seem like a Censor lol.

Respectfully, I submit that "moderating" entails much more than simple policing and arbitration ... it includes guidance

Guidance is more than education as it is intended to alter behavior not just inform 

Consequently communication is the cornerstone of moderating

This requires clear explanations based upon forum rules of etiquette and behavior

To censure threads without articulated justification provides little in the way of guidance

To censure threads that violate forum guidelines without an attempt to steer the tenor or verbiage invites repetitive behavior 

To fall back on technical limitations such as finite number of moderators, lack of time zone coverage or insufficient server storage dedicated to moderator communication do not constitute logically defensible reasons to take action with out notification.

This all here is the reason why I have brought up (and maybe begged a little) for methods that make communication far more feasible.

As it stands, if I were to PM every member I moderate in terms of behavior, I would require a very large inbox to give that member the ability to PM me back, otherwise I'd have to delete it almost as soon as I send it.

I agree that communication is very important, and I try to be as capable and responsible as I can with what resources I have available, which, at the end of the day, are quite limited.

I have responded to three threads similar to this asking for more and clearer communication the last month or so that I had been knighted. These were all honest concerns. I had taken it upon myself to make it my role to try and help improve moderator->player communication.

WIth the ability to see what had taken place long ago compared to today, it has increased 20x, but it is far from reliable, and far from practical.

The bulk of this is out of my hands, and it can leave me angst to throw out points and moderation while being able to provide only limited information to much of it. 

Trying what I could to remedy what I had, I had PM'd every forum member who had created a particular thread that I thought was best to merge to a main thread. The results were the breaking of my inbox as those 20 some odd PMs turned into 40+ PMs from those same members, and other members those members told. I'm open to answering PMs, but overloading my inbox takes very little.

If there is somehow a way for an auto-notification system enacted on the forums, I could send clear cut reasons for a thread merge, removal, post editing, hiding.

Imagine me a police officer. Now imagine that such police officer is dealing with 40+ inmates in 5 cells. All those inmates have needs and wants, and they all expect you to reply to them (imagine this being like an overnight jail and there was some large party or something leading to 40 arrests. Unfeasible, I know, but this is almost the situation I'm facing.).

@ IIIDevoidIII ... your earnestness is plain and totally believable

My post was not meant to be personal criticism but rather articulate a point of view from which the community may be able to rally behind in the way of supporting the changes that you outline

To put it bluntly, it was directed at the Administrators as they set policy and establish the means for enactment

DE has been a model steward of the gaming community's trust but even a good ruler needs pointed council from time to time

Hopefully, their attention can be directed at this issue as it has arisen yet again

Edited by ElHefe

@ IIIDevoidIII ... your earnestness is plain and totally believable

My post was not meant to be personal criticism but rather articulate a point of view from which the community may be able to rally behind in the way of supporting the changes that you outline

To put it bluntly, it was directed at the Administrators as they set policy and establish the means for enactment

DE has been a model steward of the gaming community's trust but even a good ruler needs pointed council from time to time

Hopefully, their attention can be directed at this issue as it has arisen yet again

No no, I wasn't saying it as a form of fight toward your response, I was simply agreeing with you and adding my say.

It's just... 

*spends 5 minutes writing constructive feedback*

*looks away to cook ramen*

*looks back at thread*

"wtf? where did it...? Hmm, did it get moved?"

*searches for 10 minutes*

"No... /sigh... guess it got deleted."

*shrugs and moves on with life*

Edit: You never know why it dissapearred, you don't know who to ask, you don't know how to ask whoever you don't know how to ask... it's just really REALLY shady.

Well, you can always post it again and again and you'll soon learn why. They'll have to tell you eventually :)

Oh and looking at your recent activity should tell you in less than 5 seconds what happened to it...

This all here is the reason why I have brought up (and maybe begged a little) for methods that make communication far more feasible.

As it stands, if I were to PM every member I moderate in terms of behavior, I would require a very large inbox to give that member the ability to PM me back, otherwise I'd have to delete it almost as soon as I send it.

Than an automated notification is what is needed, it won't have to tell you who did it, but it shall tell you why and they can always appeal it's removal, but not via PM. This way any mod can take over.