Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Orokin "boss"

Draconzis

I feel like the title does not reflect the character I am about to suggest, but I'll be honest with you, I could not think of a better title. If you come up with a better vague title to give this character, it would be appreciated. Also, I encourage you to ask questions about this character. I will answer the question the best I can and it will improve the quality of this post.

I would also like to mention that I just came up with this while daydreaming, and made it most likely for fun. Just keep that in mind when commenting, OK?

Currently, the few reoccurring characters in game seem.... shallow when it comes to their relationship with the Tenno. The bad guys are like "Rawr, Tenno will die,(insert taunt here)" and Lotus is like a bloody robot being like "There is a security force ahead". Just bland, if you ask me. But, I am not here to fix that, I am here to suggestion a new boss, or reoccurring character.

Forgive me as for I am horrible at coming up with original names, so for now I will just be referring to the character, quite simply, as the Orokin Boss. I think that the Orokin Boss should be much more lively when it comes to his personality and interactions with the Tenno. You would get to know each other better, perhaps he would even form a little bit of an emotional connection to the Tenno. He would try to act like a friend to you after a while, at least in his communication. He will try to trick you every now and then, but he would never go about trying to manipulate you. He would also be somewhat laid back and perhaps a bit silly in his personality.

Underlings

I am giving this character the temporary title of "Orokin Boss" for a reason, and that is because he controls the corrupted. How he goes about doing this, such as hacking the Neural sentry, I explain down below at "Origins". His underlings would not be limited to the corrupted, however. He will accept anyone who is willing, such as some Corpus would join him for the promise of immense profit, he would buy Moas and other Corpus robots from the Corpus, he would even accept rebel Grineer, or maybe even rogue Tenno. Of course, these new recruits would be changed and given new and much different equipment so the player could easily differentiate between normal enemies of a faction and those under the Orokin Boss.

Reasons he is everyone's enemy

Now for his goal and relations with the other factions. Like I said above, his relations would be very mixed. He has to be have a reason to be fighting against everyone else, and not to mention against the Tenno. I propose that his aim is to rebuild the Orokin Empire, or perhaps just conquer the solar system just for himself. Of course, this is more than enough reason to be enemies to the Grineer and the Corpus, but I think there needs to be a bit more reason for the Tenno to be fighting him.

Perhaps the Orokin Boss is well aware of the Tenno's betrayal of the Orokin, but does not seek to kill all Tenno like the Stalker, but to eliminate the root of the Tenno problem: Lotus. Him being after Lotus's life is more than enough for the Tenno to be sworn enemies to him. Or perhaps, a more subtle reason for fighting against the Orokin Boss is that he is trying to bring back Orokin ways. Add either of those reason to him wanting to conquer the solar system and then the Tenno have a big reason to try to bring him down.

Origins

There are a few different origin stories I came up with. Please, give your opinions on them and share your own ideas if desired.

The first one I came up with starts the Orokin Boss before the Orokin Empire even started. He was already laid back and a bit silly in his personality. He owned a very successful business (Or perhaps just a test subject), but he was not content with the then current state of the world. So he got himself a cryopod (Or volunteered for extended cryopod testing) and slept away for many years. He was awoken by the Orokin. He shared knowledge of the past he lived through and lived a few years during the Orokin era. Eventually, he decided to be put back into stasis to see what the far future was, but not before swiping some small things of interest to take with him. When he awoke next, it was due to the cryopod malfunctioning. He then proceeded to hack into the tower's systems, either with the knowledge he gained, the items he swiped, or perhaps the tower just mistook him of an Orokin of high commanding power. Either way, the tower was his.

The second is a bit less exciting in my opinion. He was a high standing member of the Orokin empire and decided to set himself into stasis. Maybe he done that as the Orokin empire was falling apart, or perhaps he had done it just to see what lies in the future. When he awoke, the systems recognized him as a person of power, and he was able to take control.

The third also takes him as starting in the Orokin era. Before the Tenno's betrayal, he was working to betray the empire. After his acts of betrayal have failed, he set to escape punishment by slipping into stasis. When he awoke, the Orokin was gone. Using his extensive knowledge of Orokin technology, he hacked the tower and took control.

Interactions with the player and other characters

I feel as though he should not really initiate a full on invasion of another faction's area, but instead be mainly defending his areas from outside attacks and invading only certain nodes. When he invades certain nodes, it would not be an Invasion as we know it, but they would be carrying out an objective. Sometimes their objective are in line with the Tenno's, sometimes they are against the Tenno (Such as them wanting to destroy an Orokin artifact, which the Tenno must defend), sometimes the Tenno has to pick a side (a bit more like an invasion mission). Of course, the Orokin Boss will still initiate invasions on other factions, but it would be less common than the current factions.

I feel like this is the type of character that would like to interact with other characters. He could start short conversations in game with the Lotus or other characters. He could also say little comments directed at the Lotus, rather than the Tenno. Some little examples of possible dialogue:

"Tenno, why must you fight against me! Tell you what, stop fighting now and I will let you join me." while doing an invasion mission against the Orokin boss.

"I do apologize, Tenno, but you have committed acts of aggression against my empire, and I am afraid I cannot let that go by." Something he would send to the Tenno's inbox to show that he is marked for his assassin (similarly to the G3 or Zanuka Hunter).

"Ha! HA HA! Get REKT HA HA ha... ha... ha... I miss the internet." When you get defeated by his assassin to show both is ancient age and his silliness.

"Oh. OH. Well, uh, this is awkward." Upon defeating the sent assassin. Perhaps, instead of the assassin dropping something, you receive a 'gift' in the inbox from him, saying something like, "No hard feelings, right?"

"Hey. Hey Alad."

*Alad V tries to ignore him*

"Alad, why doth thou treat me with such coldness? Come on, we have done some business together, you don't have to act so hostile."

He would say this during an invasion on areas controlled by Alad V, or perhaps during other events, to show both that other in-game characters tend to not like conversing with him and that he has done business with Alad V.

"A flower, however so pretty and nice, slowly dies once cut. You may take it elsewhere and its beauty will remain for w hile, but it will turn dark and shrivel with time. You may water the cut flower, but it would only delay the inevitable." An example on how he could be talking to the Tenno, but referring to Lotus.

(After getting badmouthed from Ordis) "Now, I'm not a engineer for Tenno ships, but I would say yours has some bugs in it's code, if you get what I mean."

"Tenno, I feel like we have known each other for a long time. Practically best buds now. Do you really have to go through with this?" When the Tenno is on the assassination mission to kill him or maybe one of his favorite subordinates/creations. It shows how he does have some sort of relationship with the player's Tenno.

Perhaps one of the bosses he has could be a Zanuka he bought from Alad V, which he customly modified with Orokin and other technologies. Upon killing it, the Orokin Boss could say something like, "What?! No, (pet name for the Zanuka)! Gah..... Why, Tenno? Just... why? After all we have been through..."

I would like everyone to know that I am not the best with coming up with dialogue, so these probably are not the best examples to accurately reflect the character.

As you can tell, I am aiming for a character that appears to be more 'involved' with the player as well as other characters, someone who is a bit silly and likable, but you are still OK with murdering his underlings and him when the time comes.

Taking over for Lotus

Rarely when doing a mission against any faction but his, the Orokin Boss will block the Lotus from communicating with you and take her place. The chances of this happening will increase the more you support him (Aiding him in invasions and the whatnot). He will still relay any important mission information to the Tenno, but will also talk to the Tenno a bit. Examples of some possible dialogue during one of these events:

(Fuzzy as he is initially blocking Lotus) "Relax, relax will you, I'm not gonna try to kill them right now. (Communications stabalize) Oh, hello Tenno. That Lotus? Oh she is such a killjoy, I made sure she won't listen on or interrupt our little talk. So I'll be taking over for now." "....So how have you been?"

(As enemies are approaching) "Oh, watch out, some baddies up ahead."

(Infested approaching) "They're here!"

"More infected are hobbling... and crawling.. to you. Prepare yourselves." (Calling them 'infected' was intentional)

(Grineer approaching) "A heavy unit, yadda yadda, you know the rest"

(Idle chatting) "Tenno, your Warframe looks splendid today! Did you do something with your, eh... You look nice!"

"Your not much of a talker, are you?"

"We should do this more often, Tenno. Just us chatting... well, one of us chatting."

"Hey, Tenno. I would like to say...*some background sound is heard* ...what was that?" After this, an explosion is heard, he falls towards the 'camera' before it fizzes out. After a while, he comes back. "Sorry about that, Tenno. Now, where were we?" This speech can only occur once per mission he interferes with and is very uncommon.

(When there is fire/ice) "There seems to be lots of fire! I assume you already know that..."

"From what I can tell, it is very cold over there. In case you did not know, shields and cold do not mix too well."

(G3 attack) *Fizzles* I told you I'm not gonna *Fizzles* to the Tenn-*fizzles* Wait, this *fizzles* not Lotus. Oh *fizzles*, Tenno! Get *long fizzle* -on't care about her orders, just *fizzles* Tenno, retrea- *fizzles* Get out *fizzles* GET OUT OF THERE! *fizzles*"

(Defeating G3)

"Ya, you go Tenno! Showed them the good ol' what-for!"

(Fleeing from G3) "You may have just ran away, but at least they didn't get their grimy hands on you."

(Zanuka attack, after Alad V's first line) "Alad, what are you doing?! Not now!"

(Stalker attack, way before the Stalker's first line) "Hmm? Oh dear... Well, nice knowing you, Tenno."

(Successfully fending off the Stalker) "Ya! I had complete faith in you the whole time, Tenno!"

(When nearing the core of a sabotage mission) "Yep, that's it. That is the thing you are exposed to destroy, right?"

(After completing an extermination) "Congratulations, Tenno, you killed them all! Not one survivor!"

(After getting all the things in a spy mission) "You got them all Tenno! Now... Can I sneak a peek at that data? No? OK..."

(At the end of the missions) "Ya, good talk, good talk. Hope to see you again, Tenno. Goodbye!"

"Already? Well, I guess I will see you later, then."

TL:DR

I am suggesting a new, somewhat silly likable reoccurring character that is the head of a new faction taking control of some of the Corrupted as well as accepting people and things from other factions as his underlings. He is from ancient tines, and could possibly be a good source of little snippets of lore. He interacts with the Tenno, as well as other characters. Overall, he is much more lively. I also mainly made this for fun.

Edited by Draconzis

The Void/Orokin is the one faction/area that doesn't have a boss-type character, though you could make the argument that Void-Vor kinda sorta fills that role now. On the one hand I like that all things Orokin are things left over from so long ago. On the other hand, this does seem like a neat idea and a new way to branch out some game lore. I keep hearing rumors of DE working on a new faction, maybe that'll help fill some of these holes.

And the famous "neural sentry" Lotus talk about? the one that corrupt who goes into the void?

fighting this "core robot" and then escaping the ship before everything explodes because the "heart" of the orokin ship has been destroyed

...that would be cool

i dont think an orokin boss is designed to be silly better make a rebel of the red veil a silly char you encounter or create an independant tenno that appears in your missions to steal your objective or aid you( based on how he feels at the moment) that doesnt like the lotus that much

I see where you're going with making the Neural Sentry have an amiable personality, but I think we could try something other than "silly" while still holding an emotional connection.

Perhaps if he seemed more robotic, like he was less a full AI and more a simple interface program between the Tower and its user(s). Sure he wouldn't sound very emotional, but after a while of hearing his monotone system-diagnostic-like responses, the player might notice by its choice of words and the way it responds to certain events that this thing is somewhat self-aware, albeit that it knows its a station defense network designed to protect the tower while its Users are away, and will do its best to fulfill the duty for which it was created. It may or may not even be aware that the Orokin are gone, and some of its responses may indicate either it expects them to return someday and is just doing its best to hold the fort until they do, or it may be aware that its former Users are all dead, so the tower and its job is all that it has left and will not just surrender it to these invaders.

All in all, his voice lines could be monotone and machine-like, but still give the sense that this poor thing has been abandoned and may or may not be in denial of it. It's protecting the tower out of loyalty to its creators, and it's not going to let them down, even if they won't be there to see how good a job he's doing.

some example voice lines:

"Hostiles detected, initiate evacuation protocol. All units, intercept intruders and clear evacuation routes"

"Invading force: stand down and submit to arrest. Lethal force not required. Repeat: invading force, please stand down and termination will not be necessary"

"Intrusion detected. Initiate distress protocol. Tower overseer has been alerted to intrusion. Awaiting response...  Awaiting response..."

"ALERT: Unauthorized user in neural core chamber. Leave the area immediately or security will be alerted. Repeat, unauthorized user-"

"Primary systems damaged, maintenance requested in Neural Core chamber-- ERROR: Maintenance not responding. Dispatching emergency security platoons"

"CRITICAL ERROR- REQUESTING MAI*bzzt*RROR, REQUESTING MAINTENANCE- PLEASE RESPO*bzzt*"

(winding down) "Awaiting response... awaiting... response.... w a i t i n g.... r e s p o n d...."

i dont think an orokin boss is designed to be silly better make a rebel of the red veil a silly char you encounter or create an independant tenno that appears in your missions to steal your objective or aid you( based on how he feels at the moment) that doesnt like the lotus that much

The reason I thought the title "Orokin Boss" was misleading because he may or may not be Orokin, maybe even pre-Orokin. To be honest, if I was a being with access to immense power and had lived through multiple eras, I would kind of stop sounding serious all the time.

A very large sentry bot guarding a portal.  That would make for a cool boss if done right.  Defeat it, collect whatever it drops, then move through the portal, revealing an Orokin city.

You personally have 2 minutes and thirty seconds to loot the place all while fighting off hordes of bad guys and avoiding traps, then get the hell out.  Dying here is an instant boot from the match, much like going down to the G3 or Harvester is - that means no rewards.  Each sequential run reduces this time by 30 seconds, down to a minimum of 30 seconds, until the next daily reset.  There are of course "oxygen" tanks in the form of void repulsion cells, but only randomly from loot crates and lockers.  The enemies won't provide void repulsion cells since the Neural Sentry doesn't give a crap about its little minions.

Call it... Void Raid.  Actually, just call it a raid!

Edited by Littleman88

maybe he could be an Orokin guardsman that was left over to watch over the sleeping Tenno, and now he wants them back?

It could be like this:

we`re infiltrating an Orokin tower as we do in normal missions... once we spawn Lotus could warn us that " I`m getting multiple weird frequencies from unknown source, be careful, Tenno."

Then as we progress towards the objective, he can talk to us saying:

-"Looks like some run-aways are feeling guilty about escaping their home".

-"Aw, did you miss your house, Tenno?"

-"You`re not safe, Tenno, come home. Forget about the mis-leader you`re serving".

As you said, he could have some other factions as helpers, i suggest that the tennos serving him are to be made a bit smart like the stalker or something (Not that lethal though, there should be plenty of them)

When we reach him, he can say:

-" Why must it come to this? I am all you have left".

-"Betrayers, do you really like leaving your homes and killing your masters?"

-"That impostor you`re serving, is nothing but a crazy source of evil, drop the quest before it`s too late".

The tennos can talk to us too and try to convince us to join them:

-"Tenno, this quest... is true! join us!"

-"The Lotus is nothing but a false master, enslaving you, free yourself!"

-"Don`t make me do this, Tenno, we can be allies, friends!"

as for the invasions part.... it doesn`t really seem exciting, and i don`t really think that him being silly and likable doesn`t really fit a guy guarding some cryopods for millennias, eh? But the rest seems cool, and i`d really like a new boss....

But..... What warframe will he drop? Good question.

Overall... gj, nice idea! ^_^

maybe he could be an Orokin guardsman that was left over to watch over the sleeping Tenno, and now he wants them back?

It could be like this:

we`re infiltrating an Orokin tower as we do in normal missions... once we spawn Lotus could warn us that " I`m getting multiple weird frequencies from unknown source, be careful, Tenno."

-"You`re not safe, Tenno, come home. Forget about the mis-leader you`re serving".

As you said, he could have some other factions as helpers, i suggest that the tennos serving him are to be made a bit smart like the stalker or something (Not that lethal though, there should be plenty of them)

-"That impostor you`re serving, is nothing but a crazy source of evil, drop the quest before it`s too late".

as for the invasions part.... it doesn`t really seem exciting, and i don`t really think that him being silly and likable doesn`t really fit a guy guarding some cryopods for millennias, eh? But the rest seems cool, and i`d really like a new boss....

I could see that, or even perhaps it isn't actually aware of the Lotus or the fact that the Tenno killed the Orokin, so it thinks the Tenno are just being disobedient and breaking into restricted areas of the tower and doesn't understand why its Orokin masters aren't responding to his alerts. Maybe even he's in some sort of conflict of interest in that he remembers the Tenno as protectors/heroes of the Orokin empire and doesn't want to have to sic the Corrupted on them even though protocol requires he respond that way to intruders.

It could be like this:

It wouldn't make much sense in my idea if he was a source of authority back in the Orokin days. I think that, my version of the character, would have possibly been just a wealthy and powerful member of the Orokin empire, or perhaps acting in betrayal of the Orokin before the Tenno acted their betrayal, and froze himself away to escape punishment. Either way, he would have been put into stasis and awoke with all Orokin gone. Having knowledge of how to control the Neural Sentry without anyone knowing a direct way to stop or harm him, the power would have gone to his head a bit. I think it is about time I revised the OP....