Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Tenno *were* Corrupted

(PSN)NearlyDedicated

Irritology Megathread: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/317555-irritology-the-study-of-the-void/?p=3588243

Allow me to explain. Not too long ago, I started a thread, asking if non-Prime Warframes are copies after we went to cryosleep, shouldn't we wake up in a Prime Warframe, direct from the Orokin age? I've come up with a solution to this conundrum.

I like to study the Void; often times I take my codex and look for details which hide bits of lore (and found some, too!). If you've been to the Void, you may have noticed that the Corrupted are adorned in white and gold. Why is this? Aren't they just mind-controlled standard troops of various factions? When Nyx uses mind control on an enemy, it doesn't change colors...meaning the process of corruption is more than mind control.

Through the game's tutorial, we can see that Captain Vor of the Grineer, a very rustic, decaying race, was able to use a device which he had hoped would allow him to control a Tenno. If the least advanced race could do this, the Orokin had probably perfected this "art".

What we know so far:  Corruption is more than mind control; the Orokin had perfected the art of mind control at least.

Now we start to look at the lore entries.

In Mag Prime's codex entry, the Orokin refer to the Tenno as "the twisted few who survived the Void era". 

Later, it states "The Empire, in their desperation, was going to turn these demons loose and hope for the best."

This clearly shows that the Orokin thought of the Tenno as less than themselves, much like a caste system. They were "demons", "rejects", and "monsters".

What we now know: The original Tenno were subject to Void exposure, giving them powers; the Orokin thought of the Tenno as "monsters" and "rejects", only turning to them out of desperation.

And, as we all know, the Tenno turned on the Orokin after the war. Why? I'll explain:

Final analysis: The Tenno, after returning from the Void, were subject to corruption. This, somehow, changes their physique, possibly giving them a "Prime" Warframe: adorning them in white and gold, despite their original colors. They are now under control of the "neural sentry", carrying out the Orokin Empire's wishes.

Then the war ended. They were released from the neural sentry, and addressed as heroes. But obviously, the Tenno would hold a grudge; who wouldn't? They had been mind controlled to slaughter an entire empire.

Now it was their turn to balance the scale, and get revenge while doing so. So they killed the Orokin. 

BAM! Warframe lore exposed. Thoughts?

Edited by (PS4)NearlyDedicated

good flow of thinking. but why are we now stil able to use these prime(neural sentry controled) warframes without the neural sentry trying to relink them.

as it schould stil be active otherwise the corupte would turn on each other!?, and why are these frames just found and not entered as mini bosses you take salvageble parts from?

explain please?

Sorry but it seems totally unimaginable for me for it to really be this way. Warframe is trying to be science-fiction themed.. At least to some degree. And what you wrote goes totally into the fiction bucket. "changed their forms", "changed their colours" this won't do. 

And I wouldn't look too deeply into the corrupted colour scheme. It's probably just to make you feel you are fighting a different enemy/faction. If you saw normal coloured greneer it would be a tad more boring wouldn't it?

You're not completely off the mark. The first Tenno, Hayden Tenno, was created when exposed to an early strain of the Technocyte Virus giving him warframe-like powers. To further boost that power over the war with the Sentinents, the Tenno who inherited that power tried to look for news ways to boost it even further by entering the Void. It's implied that a lot of them died doing so, but those that returned gained new powers mixed in with the Technocyte mutation.

The only things that are in the void were corrupted, so it's not far-fetched to assume that the new power gain is of Corrupted origin. Mixed in with the Technocyte Virus the first Tenno to don a Warframe was called the Excalibur.

Edited by EagleScoutman

Sorry but it seems totally unimagable for me for it to really be this way. Warframe is trying to be science-fiction themed.. At least to some degree. And what you wrote goes totally into the fiction bucket. "changed their forms", "changed their colours" this won't do. 

And I wouldn't look too deeply into the corrupted colour scheme. It's probably just to make you feel you are fighting a different enemy/faction. If you saw normal coloured greneer it would be a tad more boring wouldn't it?

I always figured that the Corrupted are colored as they are because of some prolonged exposure to the Void bleaching their armor - sort of like how the American flag that was planted on the moon is not completely white because of solar radiation.

good flow of thinking. but why are we now stil able to use these prime(neural sentry controled) warframes without the neural sentry trying to relink them.

as it should still be active otherwise the corupted would turn on each other!?, and why are these frames just found and not entered as mini bosses you take salvageble parts from?

explain please?

maybe the prime frames are sorta connected tot he towers because whenever a prime warframe goes near one of those round traps (the ones that shoot lasers and make shock waves) the tenno's energy recharges to the max so maybe there not totally connected, but they do still remain attached to some of the tower functions.

-snip-

BAM! Warframe lore exposed. Thoughts?

Hi, I just stumble on your webpage.

I think I can provide a counterargument and I think it´s a very simple concept: blueprints. We know that blueprints are drawings or schematics for constructing something, in this case warframe armors, we also know they come in 2 different forms, regular "vanilla" blueprints that come from tenno research and the "Prime" version blueprint that are found as remnants of a long lost civilization. And we know vanilla and prime have different blueprints, different constructors (tenno-orokin) and different material requirements, and we know for sure that mind-control could not affect the drawings in a blueprint we can infer that "corruption" could not transform a "vanilla" warframe into a prime model.

I think we can also assume that Nyx´s mind control and "corruption" mind control  are quite different at their core, with Nyx we have a power that needs no device, is temporal and cause the afflicted to change allegiances and fight for the tenno cause (in-game description) and Nyx powers hints at them being psychic, esper or psionic in nature, while the corrupted have an implant on their faces or brains, that is permanent and forces them to fight for a specific location (void tower).

Seeing that corrupted units consist only of current time factions we can deduce that the identity of the corrupted is of stranded units or explorations partys that perished by the traps in the orokin towers and had their corpses implanted with a device that supplants their brain functions and reanimated  by the neural sentry to a "passive" or a "search and destroy" switch (they could also be alive and the device interfere with their neural functions in the aforementioned switchs). The "corrupted" probably stems from the perversion/alteration of the faction alignment by force (instead of Nyx´s "convincing powers") and should not imply any form of mutating capability. This shows that the orokin were capable of forcing "mechanical reactions" from the corrupted and were no masters of mind-controlling in comparison to Nyx, who causes a virtual moral change in the subject.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/corrupt

We all know of DE´s inspiration in oriental cultures, we also know the word "Tenno" (from japanese "Heavenly Sovereign") denominates the emperor of japan, it´s highest spiritual lider, altough seems to be used as a pejorative in Excalibur codex, we can tell that tenno culture inherited some spiritual ideals, that of mystic warriors on a high spiritual or ascetic path looking for balance, so the idea that tennos commit genocide in the name of vengeance seems a bit far-fetched. Then why would the tenno who are sworn to balance destroy the orokin?, we know the void is the place where the science and reasonings of the orokin failed, we also know that the old war was long and cruel, I speculate that the orokin had the time to formulate new science and reasonings and learned to a good degree to use the void, the proof for this lies in use of void for fast traveling (solar rails), the use of void interference for camouflage (Liseth´s void cloak), the construction of buildings capable or resisting the void storm and possibly partially shield their occupants (orokin void towers) and the ability to encase and redirect the powers of void mutants (tenno).

Now that we know that the orokin ended up partially if not completely dominating the same unparallel powers and knowledge as the sentients or equivalent destructive powers, we could infer that the tenno would not risk and give the "cold" emperors in their arrogance (demonstrated by the ostrasizing of the tenno) a chance to wield that terrible power against the rest of the human races and a new cruel war.

After the destruction of the orokin, the tenno decided to seal all knowledge the orokin managed in the one place no other could enter: the Void (where most ships and knowledge manage to enter (orokin towers) and others possibly on automatic drive failed to enter (orokin derelict ships) and give a chance to the remaining living species to star anew. After all was done the tenno also part of the technology and warmachine they destroy follow the ships into the void and seal themselves for good. At present day where orokin technology is starting to come to light again and the system is in deep chaos, the Lotus woke you as the only capable or restoring balance.

Hope you like it.

The stalker codex entry proves that the tenno did hold a grudge and killed the orokin after the war.

But how did the stalker get his *custom* warframe and survive this long? Did he go into cryosleep too?

What line exactly indicates the grudge?, hard to prove, but what can be imply is that the tenno waited until they got in front of the emperors to kill them, what better chance than when you are allow in front of them.

It can also be imply that Stalker has been awake this whole time, in that dark place (the void?, does it prevent him from aging?), I don´t know about his suit. Also consider that Darvo said he was over 200 years old i think, and he was treated like a teenager, what does that says about lifespans.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I just stumble on your webpage.

I think I can provide a counterargument and I think it´s a very simple concept: blueprints. We know that blueprints are drawings or schematics for constructing something, in this case warframe armors, we also know they come in 2 different forms, regular "vanilla" blueprints that come from tenno research and the "Prime" version blueprint that are found as remnants of a long lost civilization. And we know vanilla and prime have different blueprints, different constructors (tenno-orokin) and different material requirements, and we know for sure that mind-control could not affect the drawings in a blueprint we can infer that "corruption" could not transform a "vanilla" warframe into a prime model.

I think we can also assume that Nyx´s mind control and "corruption" mind control  are quite different at their core, with Nyx we have a power that needs no device, is temporal and cause the afflicted to change allegiances and fight for the tenno cause (in-game description) and Nyx powers hints at them being psychic, esper or psionic in nature, while the corrupted have an implant on their faces or brains, that is permanent and forces them to fight for a specific location (void tower).

Seeing that corrupted units consist only of current time factions we can deduce that the identity of the corrupted is of stranded units or explorations partys that perished by the traps in the orokin towers and had their corpses implanted with a device that supplants their brain functions and reanimated  by the neural sentry to a "passive" or a "search and destroy" switch (they could also be alive and the device interfere with their neural functions in the aforementioned switchs). The "corrupted" probably stems from the perversion/alteration of the faction alignment by force (instead of Nyx´s "convincing powers") and should not imply any form of mutating capability. This shows that the orokin were capable of forcing "mechanical reactions" from the corrupted and were no masters of mind-controlling in comparison to Nyx, who causes a virtual moral change in the subject.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/corrupt

We all know of DE´s inspiration in oriental cultures, we also know the word "Tenno" (from japanese "Heavenly Sovereign") denominates the emperor of japan, it´s highest spiritual lider, altough seems to be used as a pejorative in Excalibur codex, we can tell that tenno culture inherited some spiritual ideals, that of mystic warriors on a high spiritual or ascetic path looking for balance, so the idea that tennos commit genocide in the name of vengeance seems a bit far-fetched. Then why would the tenno who are sworn to balance destroy the orokin?, we know the void is the place where the science and reasonings of the orokin failed, we also know that the old war was long and cruel, I speculate that the orokin had the time to formulate new science and reasonings and learned to a good degree to use the void, the proof for this lies in use of void for fast traveling (solar rails), the use of void interference for camouflage (Liseth´s void cloak), the construction of buildings capable or resisting the void storm and possibly partially shield their occupants (orokin void towers) and the ability to encase and redirect the powers of void mutants (tenno).

Now that we know that the orokin ended up partially if not completely dominating the same unparallel powers and knowledge as the sentients or equivalent destructive powers, we could infer that the tenno would not risk and give the "cold" emperors in their arrogance (demonstrated by the ostrasizing of the tenno) a chance to wield that terrible power against the rest of the human races and a new cruel war.

After the destruction of the orokin, the tenno decided to seal all knowledge the orokin managed in the one place no other could enter: the Void (where most ships and knowledge manage to enter (orokin towers) and others possibly on automatic drive failed to enter (orokin derelict ships) and give a chance to the remaining living species to star anew. After all was done the tenno also part of the technology and warmachine they destroy follow the ships into the void and seal themselves for good. At present day where orokin technology is starting to come to light again and the system is in deep chaos, the Lotus woke you as the only capable or restoring balance.

Hope you like it.

"Some have walked these desolate worlds while you have slept. Some like me. I remember what you did. I remember the day.

The Tenno appeared at the Terminus, gleaming and victorious. Our cold and gold Emperors, breathless, bathed you in savior's silk. Then came the sound.

Across all our worlds, all at once, the ceremonial Naga drums. A royal salute to the honored Tenno. Ten solemn beats to declare the suffering was over. I watched from a distance, with the rest of the low Guardians. With each beat terror began to crush my throat. The Tenno were not stoic and silent. They were waiting. They were poised. I tried to call out, but only a strangled whisper escaped.

When the ninth beat rang a torrent of blood filled the stadium, loosed by Tenno blades. The drums, the Empire, fell silent forever.

Now I hunt, dividing your numbers. Watching from that dark place, cataloging your sins, I am the ghost of retribution. You may forget but you are not innocent."

I read the Stalker's Codex Entry and as far I could understand (and this is more a speculation), it seems The Orokin were killed by the Tenno after the Old War was finished not as a way to avenge but as a way to bring balance. Because, after all, the Tenno were created to help the innocent and bring balance and peace to the universe itself.

However, so far they might have seen the Orokin race as a threat after all they have been through the Old War, and so far for them the war will never end if they were still alive. It also the Stalker seems to be part of another race that developed the Warframe suit without the Orokin help because as his Codex entry said he was with the rest of the low Guardians, and he foresaw what was about to happen and he could stop them because he knew he would never defeat the original Tenno.

Hence, he started to judge the Tenno as assassins after what he witnessed that day and began to hunt them. The Stalker, of course, first have to develop weapons to kill the Tenno and avenge the fallen. Despair's Codex entry specifically says that it can go through the Warframe suit, so it means that he became stronger after chasing the few Tenno alive before they could go to sleep.

This is more a speculation that a theory itself.

Hope you like it

I´m also incline to believe that the tenno murdered the emperors in the name of balance more than a vengeance, as for the Stalker being part of another race, well we still have to see if DE planned to have more alien races other than the Sentients, being guardians we at least know he belonged to different level of the military hierarchy.  So if the tenno also had a rank in the military hierarchy, they are indeed betrayers, but how justifiable was the murder of the orokin emperors and further collapse of the orokin civilization?, we have yet to see.

We also know the orokin had other enemies that were decapitated by scindo prime, and that there where assasin clans within the tenno, so maybe bringing peace to the universe is stretching it a bit, it could had been only peace to the empire.

I'd like to add to OP's theory, and also rebuff part of it.

My opinion: Yes, prime warframes are evidence of tenno as orokin-corrupted. But not because of color schemes, but because of their helmets.

All corrupted have these gold "crowns", plugging directly into their heads.

Meanwhile, prime frames have similar gold crowns or headgear. Frost P's lookd practically identical.

Of course, you aren't being controlled anymore, which is why you can use alternate helmets.

How does this tie into creation of standard warframes? No idea yet. Perhaps the tenno somehow realizef they were being controlled and built them ove rtime, during their moments of lucidity. The reason the neural sentry can't control us when using primes is probably because it wasn't meant to in the first place. It was meant to control low level guards: we probably responded only to the Orokin to prevent the AI is a crapshoot trope. (not that it saved them in the end).

Just my two cents.

I'd like to add to OP's theory, and also rebuff part of it.

My opinion: Yes, prime warframes are evidence of tenno as orokin-corrupted. But not because of color schemes, but because of their helmets.

All corrupted have these gold "crowns", plugging directly into their heads.

Meanwhile, prime frames have similar gold crowns or headgear. Frost P's lookd practically identical.

Of course, you aren't being controlled anymore, which is why you can use alternate helmets.

How does this tie into creation of standard warframes? No idea yet. Perhaps the tenno somehow realizef they were being controlled and built them ove rtime, during their moments of lucidity. The reason the neural sentry can't control us when using primes is probably because it wasn't meant to in the first place. It was meant to control low level guards: we probably responded only to the Orokin to prevent the AI is a crapshoot trope. (not that it saved them in the end).

Just my two cents.

What would really make sense at all is that Prime Warfrmes were not controlled by the Neural Sentry but they were the Neural Sentry. The way they helmets look like seems to help out that theory, specifically if it comes the fact they would need soldiers with no fear to die, and so the Warframes we are now were the ones controlled by the Prime versions.

However, as the Codex Entry for Karyst quote "Once the blade weapon of choice for an exclusive order of Tenno assassins, the Karyst dagger grew to become a symbol of honor and duty for all Tenno" and of course after the Old War was finished those Tenno assassins were or were not executed to restore the balance is water to another mill.

The reason why non-primed Warframes might be because even if We are low copies of the originals, there is a possibility that they were re-programed with something that could block the Neural Sentry signal and so they will never be corrupted no matter how long they stay in the Void.