Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please Give Launchers (Specifically Castanas) Their Ammo Back

(PSN)bjTBITS

I'm glad that launchers got an ammo nerf, because having 540 rockets/grenades in your pocket never made much sense, but the ammo nerf on them was a little drastic. Lowering them to 20 - 30 AND changing them to Sniper Ammo, which is not only the rarest ammo drop but also only gives 10 ammo as opposed to 20, is a bit overkill.

The Castanas (how are they even a launcher-type weapon?) got hit especially hard, considering that compared to other Launchers, they have a smaller AoE and a pretty low base damage - only 100. This means you have to spam them a bit more to be effective, but with only 32 rounds and a 10-round pickup here and there, it's difficult to use them.

So could we knock off one of these changes? I think increasing Torid to 60 was a good change, so I won't include it here. Here's what I think'd be best for ammo changes:

-Give Ogris, Penta, and Angstrum a 40-50 ammo cap and the Castanas 50-60 ammo, keeping them all Sniper Ammo

or

-Return Ogris and Penta to Rifle Ammo and Angstrum and Castanas to Pistol Ammo, keeping cap the same

I think the true problem here actually lies in the ammo system itself. Why should certain types of ammo be less common? Why should certain types give less ammo? I think a look at the ammo system altogether might be in order.

TL;DR: Launchers got hit hard, especially the Castanas, so one of the ammo nerfs on them should be revoked, and the ammo system in general might need a looking at.

Guest Tehnoobshow

Here's what you need to counter that:

Ammo.

Mutation.

Mods.

Have fun.

The people have asked for this nerf themselves because the system was broken.

540 rockets doing 5000+ damage each? No thank you, I rather have this and make my shots count.

Actually, for the secondaries, Trick Mag is probably better since it allows you to pickup more ammo packs at the same time, and increases the efficiency of ammo restores.

Angstrum and Castanas got hit hard, which I don't feel justified. if 210 ammo pool is overkill then 100 will be fine

100 is nice, but I think it'd just cause another outcry for an ammo nerf again, so I aimed in the middle, at like 50.

Ammo.

Mutation.

Mods.

Have fun.

540 rockets doing 5000+ damage each? No thank you, I rather have this and make my shots count.

I think the ammo system is still pretty broken. Plus, it's not like you shots DON'T count if you have more ammo.

And some dislike wasting that slot on ammo mods. I had Ogris, Penta, Angstrum, and Castanas before this, and they were a bit ridiculous before, but they still manage to be a bit ridiculous now, for me at least. I have to use mutation/scavenger with them, and I hate that I have to; I'd much rather put a damage mod, or at least a better QoL (usually reload) mod before I have to stick on a mutation. 

You could use mutation, but I think that have to proves that this ammo nerf was pretty darn drastic. But to each his own.

Edited by (PS4)bjTBITS

*coughs* Mutation mods work just fine *coughs*

Increasing the ammo or changing the type so it isn't ridiculously high or low works just fine, too.

Plus, it pretty much a wasted slot. Increasing the ammo A LITTLE wouldn't hurt anyone. 

Edited by (PS4)bjTBITS

I'm sorta inclined to disagree, I just took the Castanas out for a spin myself and didn't really have any trouble with the ammo (the closest I came to running out was 11). The only real difference compared to pre-nerf is that you have to be a tad more perceptive of when and where you throw them instead of mindlessly tossing them around, which is fair given that they still do extremely high damage, have an AoE, and a forced electrical proc. on top of a decent chance to proc anything else.

And that was without a Mutation mod equipped. I guess maybe at most they could change it so that you can pick up pistol boxes instead of sniper ones (but still only 10 ammo a piece) but otherwise I think the ammo economy for the Canastas is still easily manageable if you play it smart and make your shots count (as it should be given their power).

P.S. I learned the joy of attaching Castanas to your dog and having it sick a Napalm this evening :)

I'm sorta inclined to disagree, I just took the Castanas out for a spin myself and didn't really have any trouble with the ammo (the closest I came to running out was 11). The only real difference compared to pre-nerf is that you have to be a tad more perceptive of when and where you throw them instead of mindlessly tossing them around, which is fair given that they still do extremely high damage, have an AoE, and a forced electrical proc. on top of a decent chance to proc anything else.

And that was without a Mutation mod equipped. I guess maybe at most they could change it so that you can pick up pistol boxes instead of sniper ones (but still only 10 ammo a piece) but otherwise I think the ammo economy for the Canastas is still easily manageable if you play it smart and make your shots count (as it should be given their power).

I just recently used the Castanas last night, and playing conservatively, I ran out. It's up to RNG whether you get the ammo or not, which it shouldn't be, since it can decide to be the sweetest thing ever or a humongous pain in the rear on a whim. 

And the Castanas are still the weakest of the "launchers", which it really isn't one - it's a booby-trapped throwing knife. You'll have to spam them more the deeper you get into the endgame/Void, and 32 ammo ain't gonna cut it on any of them, especially Castanas.

Ammo.

Mutation.

Mods.

Have fun.

up to 40k with forma iirc <<

I just recently used the Castanas last night, and playing conservatively, I ran out. It's up to RNG whether you get the ammo or not, which it shouldn't be, since it can decide to be the sweetest thing ever or a humongous pain in the rear on a whim. 

And the Castanas are still the weakest of the "launchers", which it really isn't one - it's a booby-trapped throwing knife. You'll have to spam them more the deeper you get into the endgame/Void, and 32 ammo ain't gonna cut it on any of them, especially Castanas.

If by endgame you're referring to endless missions then you really can't argue that running out of ammo is unjustified since weapons aren't (or at least shouldn't be) able to carry you that far without their performance suffering. In the case of the Castanas, they deal extremely high damage in exchange for ammo economy. If it's that much an issue, you have the choice to sacrifice damage for an ammo mutator (you'll deal less damage per hit, but I guarantee you'll never run out of ammo).

As I said before, at most you could argue that the Angstrum and Castanas should still be allowed to use pistol boxes instead of sniper ones, but otherwise I think 10 ammo a box and the current ammo max are fine.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

If by endgame you're referring to endless missions then you really can't argue that running out of ammo is unjustified since weapons aren't (or at least shouldn't be) able to carry you that far without their performance suffering. In the case of the Castanas, they deal extremely high damage in exchange for ammo economy. If it's that much an issue, you have the choice to sacrifice damage for an ammo mutator (you'll deal less damage per hit, but I guarantee you'll never run out of ammo).

As I said before, at most you could argue that the Angstrum and Castanas should still be allowed to use pistol boxes instead of sniper ones, but otherwise I think 10 ammo a box and the current ammo max are fine.

Naw, not endless, it was a T2 or T3 Capture, not sure which.

Well, I can't really respond to this, since my opinion is the opposite and it'd just go in a circle. I just feel like we shouldn't really HAVE to sacrifice, considering these weapons are high mastery/costly clan-tech. Honestly my Castanas are now less ammo efficient than my no-mutation AMPREX. :/ 

Just a difference in playstyles I guess. I'm really glad I didn't potato any of them yet, otherwise I probably would've been a lot more whiny about it.

Edited by (PS4)bjTBITS

I'm really glad I didn't potato any of them yet, otherwise I probably would've been a lot more whiny about it.

That's probably the reason. 30 slots point means a lot, it's enough for 2 additional elements and one utility mod. Even if you don't like putting ammo mutation, it'll be strong enough to reduce the ammo consumption.

That's probably the reason. 30 slots point means a lot, it's enough for 2 additional elements and one utility mod. Even if you don't like putting ammo mutation, it'll be strong enough to reduce the ammo consumption.

Can't argue there. But I'm pretty conservative with my potatoes. I only potato what I like, and with this change... I like launchers less, and quite a bit less.

the castansas are still explosive weapons which are what launchers are so they apply to that category. i'd rather sacrifice a small amount of damage to transmute unused ammo into the ammo i need. you guys are just too concerned with Minmaxing, chillax and enjoy the game.

If that's the case, the weapon class should be called "Explosives", but that's another thing altogether.

Well, I enjoy the game by maxing damage and seeing how hard I can wreck stuff. XD And ammo mutation is one of my least favorite utility mods; I strongly prefer reload speed/fire rate/punch-through.

Edited by (PS4)bjTBITS

Ammo.

Mutation.

Mods.

Have fun.

There's no reason I should be forced to use an ammo mutation mod because some people feel it's "too easy" otherwise  You want it done that way?  Feel free to make your shots count another way, like maybe by refusing to use it after you fire twenty shots til you pick up ammo. 

Edited by DergyDergon

Funny thing is: back then people wanted that nerf. There were people who exactly demanded this level of nerf.

We got it. So we should be thankful that the devs listen so well to their community, shouldn't we?

That the castanas got hit as well struck me by surprise as well.

Basically they nerfed ODD and similar defenses. That's all they did in my opinion. You encounter an Ogris once in a while on invasions, but those people are hindering themselves more than the enemy, so whatever.

Times for semi afk odd are over. That's what we got. We told people back then, but they wanted it anyways for the sake of logic (lol) and a better world. Now we have it.