Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corpus Frame/boss 3.0 - Digital Revenant - Eithne

Dunedin

Yeah I'm a bit wary of just bumping, so I'm trying to hold it usually for when I do some kinda update or am doing a related doodle. But sometimes there's not much to do other than watch the thread slip to page six and go "Well shibbles." :p

I'll do zee art thread thingy and see if that helps.

Edited by Dunedin

Yeah I'm a bit wary of just bumping, so I'm trying to hold it usually for when I do some kinda update or am doing a related doodle. But sometimes there's not much to do other than watch the thread slip to page six and go "Well shibbles." :p

I'll do zee art thread thingy and see if that helps.

I know, ideas go fast if nobody gives you any comments. Ironically, it also means just commenting is supporting your idea, so somebody who comments "I disagree..." is still kind of supporting, because it bumps your thread up. And then you get ideas I just want to stab down to death, like Typhus, where they get perpetuated so long you wish they would just die.

On topic though, I'll be back later on to actively assess everything about this Warframe later and give you the feedback of everything I get out of it. I just can't focus on it right this second :P

Done some reorganizing on that thread, it also made me realize I need to poke about her expressions and stuff more which I really should add back here. Didn't think about the fact that I tend to make things in a rather mechanical manner.

Which I mean, yeah, she's mostly robot, but she's not supposed to behave entirely like a robot. :p

It's kind of a reflection of circumstance.

She feels less hate and more betrayal over her own comrades stripping her of her body and will, leaving her with no one to trust in. Unlike Valkyr she's kind of new to the whole situation too. A crewman before the experiment, and while a willing volunteer, unprepared for the extent to which the void would affect her or the subsequent decisions of the Corpus or interventions by the tenno. 

The end result is a mental break rather than revenge. She feels powerless, alone, and betrayed. It's a more like she just wants out of it all and when she snaps she kind of disconnects from the familiar, leaving her objectively aware but emotionally distant and rather fatalistic.

The reflection in the powers is how they seize control of the environment and break down the strengths the enemies rely on. To a somewhat literal degree is also the detachment with the digitized form, though it's primary purpose is to reinforce and fuel her other abilities.

In the case of the buffs to allies via the likes of Imprint, it's mostly just about utility.

But yeah, overall Eithne really isn't an angry or violent personality. Might be a bit morbid to say, but she's really borderline suicidal if not outright. Which you can't really blame for feeling like that when her allies turn her into kibble to create a power source for a bunch of copies of the frame. The tenno are enemies just the same as the Corpus become, she doesn't have anyone really rooting for her, so she kind of just accepts her fate and tries to cope with the pain.

Do y'all think a Corpus burst fire rifle might be interesting, or a bit too redundant?

My thought on a Corpus Burst Rifle was something you could charge up, and the longer the charge, the larger the burst, with a maximum burst of five and a minimum burst of one, kind of solving the missing marksman rifle and burst fire rifle for Corpus, but then my next thought was that continuous weapons kind of handle this for Corpus because one, they're point accurate, and two, they don't deal damage at the same rate of normal attacks.

A Corpus burst rifle would be interesting though, but what would it do to set it against the Burston (and Prime), Tiberon, and Hind?

My thought on a Corpus Burst Rifle was something you could charge up, and the longer the charge, the larger the burst, with a maximum burst of five and a minimum burst of one, kind of solving the missing marksman rifle and burst fire rifle for Corpus, but then my next thought was that continuous weapons kind of handle this for Corpus because one, they're point accurate, and two, they don't deal damage at the same rate of normal attacks.

A Corpus burst rifle would be interesting though, but what would it do to set it against the Burston (and Prime), Tiberon, and Hind?

Nice diea

Yeah it's kinda been my concern. I would like it to remain corpus focused, so it's kind of just poking about what weapon roles to fill or make with their theme and mechanics.

I do like the charge rifle idea. Maybe make it do electricity or magnetic damage as a base to give it a strong er distinction from the Dera. A higher base damage comparable to the single shot/marksman rifles would probably help out a lot too. Maybe electric single shot rifle that has a charge to power up a stun.

Or more loosely, the rifle could have a charge mechanic that dramatically increases status effect chance alongside a small volley, that way if you alter the damage type it'll alter the charge effect and grant a really high proc rate for a weapon that otherwise is a pretty paced shot.

Added a concept for the rifle.

SCAN0147_zps5d61a2fd.jpg

EDIT: Kind of like the solution I came up with in that I play with the % chance of the weapon to push particular elements based on the charge function.

So the standard shot will do high damage with a high crit chance so that it is primarily just a solid rifle for damage dealing, but has a low status chance.

When the gun is charged up, it drops the crit chance and damage down, but increases the status chance and fires a three shot burst. This makes it so that when the burst shot is fired, it won't do higher damage functionally than standard fire, but it generates a rather high probability of the status effect going off against the targets.

Edited by Dunedin

Think a melee weapon built on the premise of disarms and take-downs might be handy? Like lower damage, but capable of forcibly disabling enemy weapons.

That might just be a stance mod for Obex though... :\

And I need to make some poses for Eithne to show off her posture a bit. >_>

Added references for the standing poses/style into the appearance section.

Standing Poses

Noble

pose_noble_zps255f4fb7.jpg

Agile

pose_agile_zps71a10b6a.jpg

Overall the intention is to give a somewhat lazy stance to reflect her disconnect to the fighting and threats. It's not very obvious on the agile stance, but she has a strong lean in general that's only really counterbalanced by how she either holds her arms or bends her body. Weapons are all held low across the waist or around the side of her back in the case of secondary weapons, generally pointing at the ground passively.

EDIT: If I'd done a different angle on the agile stance it'd be a bit more obvious, she's basically got the rear leg bent under her and is leaning forward rather far, with her forward leg as the only thing actually propping her from falling on her face. :p

The gun in that instance is held at a similar position to the noble stance, where it's past her back kind of just being held down.
Edited by Dunedin

• 1 month later...

The Corpus aesthetic is very nice, I can definitely see the Moa influence in her design. Thematically, she makes a good deal of sense, as well. The one thing I can express concern about is her abilities--they are certainly a good idea, overall, but I worry that they might be more than a bit overpowered with the stated costs and durations. Easiest one to point that out about is her third: it staggers people (like Ash's smokescreen), it highlights enemies (like Banshee's sonar), it removes some environmental threats (can't even think of a precedent for that one), and it reduces their defense... all for a measly 25-energy activation and 1-energy drain? That is simply insane.

Edited by Siubijeni

• 3 weeks later...

Tweaked about the numbers a bit.

EDIT: So yeah, been a little while for me, got busy with school (tons of cookin') and haven't gotten to play much. Still trying to work on this concept though.

If anyone has particular questions or suggestions I think I might want to make a FAQ to address some of the more peculiar aspects of the frame as well as revisit the notion of making her a somewhat indirect method of gameplay to beating enemies and helping out in missions through methods other than raw force.

Edited by Dunedin

Addendum. I'm reworking the power set of the character to be more in-line with the established notion of being a digital spectre foremost.

I'll be loading this up as a second iteration of the frame alongside the present one as a rather extreme typification of the concept. This might end up being rather foreign for some people since the character is not going to be a combatant or caster in the way we've seen frames so far, and instead will have a much more behind-the-scenes approach in many ways, though a "traditional" option will be provided.

Several caveats will come with it. Notably, this version of the frame will always be considered "dead" for the purposes identifying the pass/fail of a mission.

• 1 month later...

Well Finally had enough free time to do the initial overhaul of the design. Dropped the weird idea of considering her functionally dead for missions as it would require way too many weird little semantics.

Goal with this rebuild largely is to be looking at a major part of my original intent with the character. That of alternative gameplay.

There is a lot of flexibility and potential for complex systems when using the warframes and their abilities, but the core gameplay that most frames provide tends to push reliance on a small subset for many players that would seek strict efficiency.

Personally, I want variety, and I want to be able to solve missions in ways that most other frames and characters would usually shake a skana at. The goal with this rebuild is just that, a depth in the powers of the character and a play style that greatly deviates from the norm, while still existing within the same framework, so as to provide a very different experience and value in the gameplay. A different kind of challenge and means to fighting. Something very simply, different.

As always though, the big thing with this is that while it might be different, is it "fun"? While I can't say in particular if this character would seem or be fun for all, I did try my best to consider the niches that some players have not gotten to fill so far and creative ways to let you adapt to a variety of demands with this single frame, but not fling it into being overpowering. The goal of alternative gameplay ends up going hand-in hand with "fun" in this case, as I wanted very much to let players mix it up and play to the pace they were most comfortable or familiar with.

There is still plenty of things for me to work on and change. My next big goal is probably gonna be the art though. Some of the details in my current art is outdated and I would really like to find a few people interested in Warframe and this concept that I could work with a bit to come up with new images to represent her.

How much yes can i give! Though, to be fair, i might get her, and keep her in my equp ment bay. Poor things been through enough! But i love this frame, this concept. Makes all the bakcstories i've built for my own frames look halfdone. Amazing job. I hope to see this frame soon in warframe :)

Powers have been updated. Swapped powers around a bit and simplified them. 

- I nixed the possession power since it was just too foreign of a concept to deal with and felt that most players would feel uncomfortable.

- Holo-Field no longer using a selection menu and instead hacking a couple basic effects that tether to complimenting the use of encrypt.

- Removed extra combat abilities from Digitize to simplify it's function and serve more directly as a support/caster form.

- Added Shards as replacement power, which serves as a defensive buff for allies and can be coupled with Holo-Field to cause damage.

- Encrypt remains largely the same, but has additional functions added to support causing additional damage to enemies as well as extra counter-abilities.

I may change Digitize further based on two points.

1 - Weapon damage might be enabled, instead taking a heavy penalty to damage output pending certain weapons with unique alt-fire mechanics are added to be utilized.

2 - Should this frame be allowed to fly at all? It stylistically fits the concept and as designed is not competitive with Zephyr in terms of range or speed, letting Zephyr remain the dominant "flying" frame, but having a second frame where that effect is a standard element, and potentially utilizing a better free-form flight mechanic than is present used on Zephyr, may still make the frame seem to butt-in on the concept.

Read the entire concept >_> yeesh :)

Thought someonelse asked this so I couldnt find it to quote til now lol

You ask should it be allowed to fly at all?

1) Do you have a final battlefield in mind? This might make a small difference or not.

I would say yes but only in "certain" situations. Possibly based on "caveat". 

If the caveat is "supporting new players" more power oooohh ooh arrrooh lol

Edited by (XB1)LordPuck