Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corpus Frame/boss 3.0 - Digital Revenant - Eithne

Dunedin

It's a really awesome concept but she just feels like she has slightly too many powers. I mean her Avatar state has 5 abilities, and then each of her other states have varied abilities. It's pretty cool but I feel the chances of it happening are slim because it's so many powers.

Kinda came about to my own answer to the flight question a while ago. XD

The thought process that went into it is that foremost I wanted her to have a different perspective on fights. This isn't a frame that should be sitting in the middle of stuff most of the time, only ducking in occasionally to mess with enemies and then skirting out and around them to use her other abilities. It enables something of a stepped back and at times aerial view of what's going on to let you assess the situation as well. Something that's necessary with this frame so players can know where to use their powers best.

On top of that is the mobility concern. Eithne doesn't have a travel power otherwise as well as she would have melee lunges/techniques maybe only accessible 1/4 of the time. Even Trinity would move faster than her through a level if not for having some kind of means to more freely move through complex zones.

As for corpus being male dominated, yeah that's part of why I wanted her female. It ties into some commentary DE made a while back too about adding more female foes and bosses into the game, and since Corpus is still rather lacking on that front and I wanted to make a Corpus frame, it kinda fit the idea nicely.

And on the powers thing, yeah I know. XD

Avatar state actually should only have three abilities effectively as in that state she plays like a relatively normal warframe. In her "Normal State" and when Digital Domain is active are the only occasional where the action replacements are accessible, and those are fill-ins for the lack of access to normal weapons and move actions.

She is a rather complex character from the design end as well as the gameplay end, which I agree kind of makes her have a bit of a slim chance of implementation.

Like I said in the concept section though, she's supposed to be something different. While I could aim for "different" in a simpler context, there is a point at which that difference becomes negligible when you introduce yet another frame that parkours around the room and presses a couple buttons to protect themselves in some way or hurt things.

The complexity comes with a bit of freedom in choice of playstyle a bit as well as a chance to play with a more in-depth and manipulative style than we're used to with the other frames.

It may very well be over-ambitious, but this concept can at least be a launching point for DE or others to come up with a similar concept that sits closer to what they think is reasonable.

Yeah I've been a bit busy-busy recently. >_<

Got done with a cooking competition and midterms, and most class stuff left is pretty light work, so I finally have some time again to tinker with things.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading through the entire thing, as well as reflecting on our heated debate in-game, I have come to the conclusion that the concept in itself isn't bad, but it is far too involved in the general lore and setting of Warframe to be introduced out of the blue without a great deal of exposition and lorebuilding on the part of the developers. 

It would also be throwing a great deal of existing lore into question on how exactly thorough the Corpus' understanding of Orokin technlogy is, given that in our current setting, their focus has been almost entirely on robotics, energy weapons, and repurposing of existing technlogy, rather than innovation. Alad V has been a maverick in his interest of the Tenno, with his creation of Zanuka and modification of Valkyr, the latter of which is interpreted to be a failure, given her temperament and rebellious nature against her captors. Zanuka itself appears to be no more than a robotic servant that has been made piecemeal of existing Tenno and Warframe parts.

Alad V has also been disavowed from the Corpus board due to his extreme methods and employment of the Infestation of all things to further his own research, which would leave others skeptical and cautious at the least to explore his line of research as far as the Tenno are  concerned.

This aside, the Corpus have cared very little for the Tenno beyond their frustrating tendencies to muck up their plans, much less for what information they may or may not possess. Frohd Bek even goes so far as to say that the Tenno would be "Too costly to provoke," indicating that the Corpus Board has some aprehension, or even fear, of invoking the Tennos' ire. This is understandable, given that the Orokin Empire, which is implied to be greater than either the Corpus or the Grineer, was brought to its knees by the Tenno during the ceremony of the Naga drums, during which the Tenno began massacring the Orokin.

If the Corpus were to still proceed with this project, it would be at tremendous risk to themselves for what may be of little to no gain, as Tenno are very mobile and independent, making intelligence on their current positions, destinations, or general status of less use than it would for a larger force. If the Tenno caught wind of it, the result would be absolutely disastrous. The Corpus are also a thorough bunch, leaving little to chance or variation, and wouldn't likely "hip-hip hooray" at the apparent success of experimental technology that would appear to be the first of its kind, while failing to notice such an anomaly as the one Eithne gains.

There is also the matter of how Eithne would become a usable frame, which would imply that she had to be destroyed/killed in the first place for us to craft her, as well as causing another conundrum in the eternal "what is a Tenno, anyway" debate, whether we are beings of energy, flesh, some meat soup simply drained into the frame, or what have you. 

All that said, I am not against the idea of such a frame, and the powers in the concept would certainly allow for interesting gameplay and building choices, but the sheer amount of mind****ery involved in the lore behind it would probably be at the very least cut down into manageable chunks, or scrapped entirely in favor of something more fitting to the current setting of "discover ancient remnants of Tenno, build said Tenno."

Edited by Gyrard

A lot of that ends up falling into what is the nebulous nature of the Warframe lore. 

Like we already have the issue of frames having many body types, and more extreme cases like Nekros that kind of skews human anatomy pretty hard. Or Limbo that either has a really stumpy head/neck, or something strange going on.

That the frame are all interchangeable ends up making it really awkward.

I figured on going the same route DE does on the matter. Namely I wouldn't comment on it.

That would leave people to speculate if you're remote connecting, an energy form or meat soup inhabiting the core, or maybe just you're that frame/tenno and they pretend whichever one you're playing as happens to be the only one on the liset at the time. It's intentionally up in the air so as to not define something DE has avoided defining themselves thus-far.

As for the Corpus lore. It does kind of range. While Alad V is somewhat out of the picture for Corpus interests, I was more so leaning towards taking the "lessons" in a sense from his research and applying it towards Nef Anyo's interests. Because Anyo has been seen as driven pretty closely by interest in profit, going so far as to run massive scams and fabrication operations.

Coupling that with the recent success of Alad V in the Tubemen of Regor event, Anyo may be given a reason to spite or alternatively borrow Alad V's research as a way to spite both Alad and the Tenno.

This goes into one of the points you said. The anomaly in Eithne did get noticed, that's why the AI gets installed and her body gets dismantled. Her flipping out and luring the Tenno in to sabotage the Corpus plans to produce more of her to employ against them and the Lotus is a considerably more subtle event that follows that corrective measure. She's intentionally very subtle in that endeavor until she retaliates outright to get the Tenno to find/fight her.

Even if the Corpus as a whole find it a bit of a risk, they could still probably see the value in seeking out just what the central hub that the Lotus utilizes against them is. The amount of data they could access in real-time about Tenno and there whereabouts would potentially be immense, as it's not at that point just a matter of looking at some information, but looking at the active communication of the Tenno agents and being able to pinpoint where potential threats from them are coming from and when, if not turning and hunting the Tenno directly that encroach on Corpus territory.

But Nef Anyo provides an alternative as well, as if the Corpus as a whole don't wish to follow such an endeavor, a sub-faction that Anyo leads to developing this as a personal retribution for the events of False Profits and Tubemen of Regor may have a chance.

This also fits pretty largely with the intended design scheme of Eithne, as you can see in the image she is heavily influenced by MOA design as well as her lore attributing an AI to her eventual functionality.

Pocolla is the artist I commissioned that picture from, it's not one I made. My drawings are the scribbly pencil things in the appearance section.

Which is a good example of why I need an artist either interested in or that I can commission to do some images for this. Q_Q

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...