Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Day Cycles And Weather Systems To Each Planet? (+Node Placements)

noveltyhero

Hey there,

So a while ago I posted a thread requesting that the ice tilesets get the northern lights added in because they are just too cool to be left out: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/309621-corpus-tile-set-night-time-northern-lights-please/

Now I want to cover a wider variety of things.

Day Cycles

I think every planet should have these (why doesn't the gas tileset have it?) at least to some degree. It would be very interesting and they do change the feel of the tilesets making them feel more real and immersive.

Night time on Earth? Well its daytime on Neptune (just an example)

Weather

Now this is something more complex but it could help, what if it rained every once in a while on Earth? or we had brief sandstorms on Phobos? (affecting us as well as the enemy in visibility)

The water tilesets can have some storms above and the ice tilesets can have storms of snow every once in a while. Thus making those peaceful and beautiful moments much more visually worthy due to their rarity; i.e if you see northern lights everytime you go to the ice tilesets they get boring but if you see them occasionally you will certainly be frozen (get it?) in awe.

Not every weather system crosses over and I am aware of the work (and optimizations and AI) required but I feel it is a step in the right direction into building a more immersive world without the ever so mentioned open world. Since the Liset already has moved the game to be more immersive

Additional Suggestion of Node Placement on Planet

by Egg_Chen

The idea behind this is that each node is placed on a planet in such way that it reflects the planet's visuals. Right now on Earth you might see a dark side and a light side but if the cycle is daytime the entire planet is daytime which doesn't make much sense really.

The day time or night time will depend on specific nodes and how they are grouped together. The circumference of a planet should be split up by a grid and every hour (or half hour) the grind placement changes. So one set of nodes will become light and another will become night.

What do you guys think?

Edited by noveltyhero

No cycle, but randomised ToD on nodes, sure.

Why is every node on Earth in the same timezone?

As it is I can only see daylight on Earth at the weekend.

I and many others have jobs, studies or other commitments.

Different nodes having different ToD not only makes more sense, it allows players to experience them more often.

Win win scenario...

Edit for clarity : It makes more sense as planets rotate, and it is not night everwhere on a planet.

Disclaimer : If they ever add the moon, there can be nodes on the dark side where it is permanently night.

Edited by Egg_Chen

No cycle, but randomised ToD on nodes, sure.

Why is every node on Earth in the same timezone?

As it is I can only see daylight on Earth at the weekend.

I and many others have jobs, studies or other commitments.

Different nodes having different ToD not only makes more sense, it allows players to experience them more often.

Win win scenario...

There is a cycle on Earth based on a 4 hour rotation, I think that if it was 3 hours instead it would certainly break off the pattern so you are likely to experience both. The way it is on Earth is actually fine for most of us, if it is random you might be wondering "Well hang on a moment ago it was daylight what happened?", yes different timezones on Earth but again, it would get annoying if you are a player that prefers a single rotation. I prefer nighttime myself so I am more likely to play on Earth during night time :/

It's amazing how whenever I make a thread about X it dies instantly, but when anyone else makes a thread about X it gets attention.

D'oh well./offtopic

SOME IDEAS:

Floods on earth.

Lightning storms.

Amount of clouds in the sky.

Clouds when raining is a (duh) and lightning storm can be done from the Ceres tilesets and vice versa however floods are too ridiculous for Warframe I'm afraid, it would just break the game and AI :L

I dunno if it is fine for "most of us"...
That four hours can easily cover your gaming window of an evening.

I have suggested shorter windows to help, and the issue with instant change is already there if you run missions either side of the change.
Randomising would not create that issue, it is already there.

They could always keep the cycle, but have some nodes day and some night, then swap.

Edit: I should clarify I'm all for the actual idea, and have +1'd.

More variety in missions and environments is welcome, but that is exactly the reason I feel cycles are bad.

For some people, they actually limit variety. What is the point of new weather or ToD cycles, if some never / rarely see them?

Edited by Egg_Chen

I dunno if it is fine for "most of us"...

That four hours can easily cover your gaming window of an evening.

I have suggested shorter windows to help, and the issue with instant change is already there if you run missions either side of the change.

Randomising would not create that issue, it is already there.

They could always keep the cycle, but have some nodes day and some night, then swap.

Edit: I should clarify I'm all for the actual idea, and have +1'd.

More variety in missions and environments is welcome, but that is exactly the reason I feel cycles are bad.

For some people, they actually limit variety. What is the point of new weather or ToD cycles, if some never / rarely see them?

I like that idea of the nodes actually being placed along with some logical sense (other than order of unlocking). I will update OP :)