Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Heavy Melee Has Failed Us

XxMAGGOTxX

Just as the title says. The Dakra Prime (which is a much faster one handed weapon) deals quite a bit more damage than Reaper Prime and the Galatine. Heavy weapons are slower, so shouldn't they have the damage to balance it out?

Sadly in this game, that's a no. Dragon Nikana and Dakra Prime do so much more damage than the Reaper Prime or the Galatine. Yes, the major damage on those two one handed swords is nice. But where's the damage on slower weapons? Heavy melee right now has no viability. 

You just get torn to shreds because for some reason, the heavy melee weapons can't back up their intimidating size and weight with the power related to them. This isn't a call to nerf the Dakra Prime or the Dragon Nikana. They are fine where they are.

But the heavy melee, not so much. They are outclassed by their smaller counterparts. Take for instance Skyrim. In that game, heavy weapons are a bit of a risk. Yeah, they are slower, but if you connect, you see huuuuuuuge damage done to your target. This is a balance issue, and a pretty big one if you ask me. Only the Scindo Prime and Bo Prime (if you consider that a heavy) have damage that only sliiiiiighty surpass the Dakra and Nikana. 

This would be similar to giving the Vectis or the Lanka the same amount of damage as the Boltor Prime. Yes, the Boltor Prime is extremely powerful for it's class, and the go-to weapon for many people. But what purpose would the Vectis or Lanka have in the game if it was reduced to that? Or what if the same happened to the Paris Prime?

There would be no use for those weapons. It already punishes missed hits and they are slow. So are the heavy melee in this game, yet they don't have the damage to balance out the slow speed of the weapon. Heavy weapons are not viable in the game currently, and are in need of a rework. 

TL;DR - Heavy melee are slow and only as powerful as Dakra Prime and Dragon Nikana. Only Scindo Prime and Bo Prime (if you count that as a heavy) slightly surpass these weapons in damage. Why is that? Vectis doesn't do the same damage as Boltor Prime, so why is something similar happening to Heavy Melee?

Heavy melee weapons are getting a rebalance. We don't know the specifics yet though. 

heavy weapons went out the window with melee 1.0... but i think they are doing a rework...

Really? That's quite reassuring. As it stands, they have no purpose, no reason for them to be picked up. It honestly saddens me, because heavy melee was always one of my favorite playstyles.

Really? That's quite reassuring. As it stands, they have no purpose, no reason for them to be picked up. It honestly saddens me, because heavy melee was always one of my favorite playstyles.

Well... no purpose without their stances... and the one that is basically the only one that is the most effective is Cleaving Whirlwind: Broken Bull... aka Spin2Win... but then again... it's a rare mod... so it will take some time to get it by grinding the same missions over and over again.

Well... no purpose without their stances... and the one that is basically the only one that is the most effective is Cleaving Whirlwind: Broken Bull... aka Spin2Win... but then again... it's a rare mod... so it will take some time to get it by grinding the same missions over and over again.

the Scindo prime apparently out Damages the dakra and Dragon with that stance 

Meh, got it and it's just not fun. I've never heard of anyone grabbing a sword or an axe and spinning around with it, at least not sane people. Or adults. Not a very visually appealing stance, yeah it does damage, but spinning just doesn't really excite me. Reaping Spiral, now that's a stance. Something that is visually appealing, and it actually has a use (far flung combos). Cleaving whirlwind is a 2/10, would not use again.

Meh, got it and it's just not fun. I've never heard of anyone grabbing a sword or an axe and spinning around with it, at least not sane people. Or adults. Not a very visually appealing stance, yeah it does damage, but spinning just doesn't really excite me. Reaping Spiral, now that's a stance. Something that is visually appealing, and it actually has a use (far flung combos). Cleaving whirlwind is a 2/10, would not use again.

The spinning animation was created as the Jat Kittag charge attack, so it was faster and was rocket-powered. That is sort of the issue with the heavy stances in general, they have a fair amount of repurposed animations from Melee 1, minus the power.

The spinning animation was created as the Jat Kittag charge attack, so it was faster and was rocket-powered. That is sort of the issue with the heavy stances in general, they have a fair amount of repurposed animations from Melee 1, minus the power.

It's just aesthetically un-appealing to me. Makes no sense to me why a highly trained operative would spin in circles like a child.

I don't know if it's just me, but heavy weapons seem to slow me when I'm trying to copter (out of habit). That means they not only don't have utility, they have negative utility. Could just be me though.

Dragon Nikana can't copter, but it definitely doesn't feel like I'm slowing down when I do.

Heavy melee weapons are getting a rebalance. We don't know the specifics yet though. 

I've actually been worried this whole time that my galatine might get nerfed so this very concerning. Almost thought I was in the clear when scindo prime was released.

Anyway.

Isn't Dakra Prime just as slow as heavy weapons?

Are scythes still awkward and needlessly small? They used to be. I don't have one.

Why is clashing forest way better than flailing branch?

Why do polearm stances each have only two combos?

Why does orthos prime feel awkward now?

Edited by Seanjuju

I think a more important question is when the rework is coming and what it will do to our big, beefy weapons. Let's face it, Frost looks kinda funny with a Dakra Prime. Been using it lately (I'm less likely to die, because heavy melee curently just tickles enimies) and I find that it looks goofy on Frost or other bigger frames. Bigger frames need the heavy artiliery. Heavy melee desperately needs more damage.

Charge attacks were the reason to own heavies on melee 1.0, the least they could have done for them is make them have better channelling dmg.

Weapons like dragon nikana and dakra prime would remain with the 1.5 channelling dmg and weapons lik the reaper prime would get around a3.0 or 3.5 and the galatine should still be king with 4.0 or 4.5.

Charge attacks were the reason to own heavies on melee 1.0, the least they could have done for them is make them have better channelling dmg.

Weapons like dragon nikana and dakra prime would remain with the 1.5 channelling dmg and weapons lik the reaper prime would get around a3.0 or 3.5 and the galatine should still be king with 4.0 or 4.5.

That seems like a good idea. However, damage needs to be ramped up. When one handed weapons can deal more damage, or come close to it, we have a problem.

heavy weapon is being looked now. personally i want them to have a larger hitbox. the damage is ok imo

The larger hitbox and the 4.5 channeling damage would certainly be a nice addition, but damage needs to be ramped up as well. There is no reason for one handed weapons to deal the same damage, or close to it. Doesn't really make sense at all.