Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should We Get A Better Trading System?

Pandaman444

Is the current trading system not as efficient as it should be? Imagine instead of using the trade tab to get all your trading done, an object for a dojos/ship that will allow you to be able to post a trade post on what item you want to sell/trade. It would be a whole lot simpler if we had 1000s of trade listings all in a click or two away? 

"Auction House" is the word you're looking for. I believe a search on the forums will yield plenty of results as well as the downsides. I'm pretty sure the word from the devs was that there isn't one coming. 

As you state, a list of 1000s of trades... except the negative impact of immiedate depreciation of value. A market too easily manipulated as well, but most of those other threads expand upon it. Basically it has very little positive impact.

"Auction House" is the word you're looking for. I believe a search on the forums will yield plenty of results as well as the downsides. I'm pretty sure the word from the devs was that there isn't one coming. 

As you state, a list of 1000s of trades... except the negative impact of immiedate depreciation of value. A market too easily manipulated as well, but most of those other threads expand upon it. Basically it has very little positive impact.

can you link me one?

While an auction house it nice, it makes prices crash too quickly.

If you're able to instantly see what other are selling, and for how much.. You going to undercut them, without a doubt; only to sell faster and drop the price.

The only game that has had success with an auction house style of market, is WoW. Simply because it was one of the first games to have one. Shockingly enough, it behaves similar to how most actual markets do, with prices going up and down due inflation and deflation. And that's using in game currency.

But honestly, I enjoy trading much more that I get to talk to the people I trade with.

As opposed to Scroll, scroll, scroll, buy, list, profit, repeat....

I prefer the Warframe way of Post message, Talk to buyer/seller, negotiate price, buy/sell, Thank for trading, flip if buying/profit if selling, repeat.

That little bit of player interaction plays a HUGE role in the game's economy. DE knows this, hence why they keep it as is. It's a much more stable market this way too. Personally, as an active trader, I like interacting with the people I trade with.

Edited by Ruby_Rose_

I personally think the current trading system is highly inefficient. I find it often takes far more time than is worth to sell or buy anything.

I would much prefer if we had an auction house or something like tf2outpost. That would make matters so much easier with trading. Hell, if it weren't for the fact there are many players that play on a standalone client external from Steam, I'd go as far as suggesting making the game compatible with Steam trading.

I don't want auction houses. Why? Prices would get deflated fast. If you can see all the prices of others, many tries to go lower (for understandable reasons), which would affect my chances of selling things for a proper plat price. I know this sounds honestly selfish, maybe even evil but let's look at it this way: those that purchase things through platinum has plat to begin with. I don't care if this makes things a bit more expensive to them.

That's it for my personal, cunning reasons (as you can see I'm an honest guy).

As for logical reasons against deflation: Diablo3. Sure, there Blizzard shot the game right at the beginning by considering the Auction House as a possible income and actually made farming in-game pretty much impossible to normal people but the auction house can easily result in the same thing here too: if the prices go down, people will rather buy it for 1-10 plat, instead of farming 30+ missions (Hikou Prime Pouch... geh) to get it. Understandably.

DE might profit this way (though I guess considering the currently higher plat prices, they might actually lose profit) but I believe in the long run this would make the game suffer.

Again, this doesn't mean an auction house would be a problem - but I pretty much know (believe) that it would mean that DE starts considering it when calculating drop chances and that would make farming even more tedious.

So how I imagine a working auction house within the game? The main thing is that getting certain things that would actually become the mainly "wanted" items on the AH should be possible through other means than farming day after day or pure RNG. By pure RNG I mean that any enemy can drop it or something - if it drops from a certain spot, rarely, that is normal (and inevitable in a game like this).

Either crafting from multiple, hard to aquire substances (so making that item is actually costly for the one selling it - much like fusion a card to max, but not exactly since that you can do from cradits and any mods you find) or just plain make the item itself hard to aquire. Something that you cannot get by just playing a lot but instead you need skill.

Best would be if players would be awarded at the end of the mission according to their performance.

You would need a certain skill level to have a shot at the good stuff (like bronze, silver and golden reward at the end) and/or depending on your stats and/or your team's stats you could be awarded with items connected to your achievement (health packs to those that are good teamplayers, damage mods and hard hitting weapon bps to killers, speed stuff, fast weapons to speedsters, etc.).

This way those that cannot play 24/7 but are actually skilled could still have a shot at good stuff. Maybe limit special/rare drops to 1 per day. This would be the daily first win reward (instead of the meager credit bonus).

Hell, so many ideas, so little patience to write them all down...

Yes

Introducing the market:

An actual place, like the dojo, where players go to trade.

1) split up categories

Prime stuff

Mods

Other

2) you post what you're selling or looking for

Other players browse the names until they come upon a seller or buyer

Format:

Name----------item(s) for sale/looking for

3) removes dojo requirement (which is dumb)

4) add more tradeable items

Regular blueprints

Weapons

Forma/catylist/potatoes

While an auction house it nice, it makes prices crash too quickly.

If you're able to instantly see what other are selling, and for how much.. You going to undercut them, without a doubt; only to sell faster and drop the price.

The only game that has had success with an auction house style of market, is WoW. Simply because it was one of the first games to have one. Shockingly enough, it behaves similar to how most actual markets do, with prices going up and down due inflation and deflation. And that's using in game currency.

But honestly, I enjoy trading much more that I get to talk to the people I trade with.

As opposed to Scroll, scroll, scroll, buy, list, profit, repeat....

I prefer the Warframe way of Post message, Talk to buyer/seller, negotiate price, buy/sell, Thank for trading, flip if buying/profit if selling, repeat.

That little bit of player interaction plays a HUGE role in the game's economy. DE knows this, hence why they keep it as is. It's a much more stable market this way too. Personally, as an active trader, I like interacting with the people I trade with.

I disagree with WoW being a good example. EVE is a good example of a working in game economy. Games like WoW and Warframe can never have one since an item, once acquired, lasts forever.

That said, whether there is an AH or not only matters to those selling and only out of purely selfish reasons (prices will drop to a sensible level since in games where items cannot be destroyed supply will far bigger than demand demand since the former is infinite while the latter isn't)

The current trade system is so horribly inconvenient that addition of an AH in the long run seems rather inevitable. That, or removing trading entirely. (I'd be in favour of getting rid of trading, but alas, I don't see it happening)

Everytime this comes up, I say the same thing.

Use the bloody forums. They exist y'know.

That's how I conduct all business.

You don't need to be online all the time. You can work through pms. It's convenient. Just TALK to people.

An auction house will only create price ceilings and floors that'll hurt newer traders while giving farmers the advantage because they have the stock-piles to endlessly flood. it will also eliminate negotiation and bartering, which is how I get to know people.

So NO, trade system doesn't need to change. Tenno who can't use it are the ones who need to upgrade their skills.

There has been quite a lot of discussion about this. Personally I think gaining the ease of use and avoiding being cheated and the ability to see price averages without using out of game tools is well worth some degree of devaluing of prices.

What should also be said is a lot of people want an auction house. 

But...

DE has said "The community does not want auction houses".

I find this hilarious.

There has been quite a lot of discussion about this. Personally I think gaining the ease of use and avoiding being cheated and the ability to see price averages without using out of game tools is well worth some degree of devaluing of prices.

What should also be said is a lot of people want an auction house. 

But...

DE has said "The community does not want auction houses".

I find this hilarious.

s/The community/a vocal minorty that is getting rich off of trading/ ;)

I'm still sitting on most of my of my Grandmaster plat and I really cannot be bothered to deal with the market chat, so unless something makes trading more convenient I don't see any reason to bother with it and I'll just continue grinding for my gear. If trading were sufficiently convenient I would likely be tempted to just buy the stuff I'm missing (and I am *very* certain that quite a lot of people feel this way)