Dagger Exclusive Mod Idea

Just so you know, I did read a bit of the post about reworking the dagger, but realized that its not exactly what I was thinking about. Sure daggers would have more appeal if they had a faster attack speed, better status chance or a Perry chance, however I thought about something else that could add appeal, without all the work needed to change the stats of all the daggers currently in the game. True it may still put it behind a regular sword by a little bit but I think my idea is still a valid idea.

I was looking at the reach mod and I thought "why doesn't it just go to +%100 range?" I soon realized how cheap the longer weapons of the game may become with that, but since I was leveling up a dagger at the time It sparked an idea. What if they added a Dagger specific mod that adds range. They have already made a mod specific to the throwing weapons (referring to "quick return" currently) so they should be able to do the same for daggers right? Anyone else think this idea has any merit or am I missing the current appeal for daggers?

Why not just leave daggers as daggers?

Buffing their speed and crit chance would make more sense than having daggers which hit slower than great-swords (I'm looking at you, Sheev...)

Extending the blade is supposed to help, how exactly? They will still be slower than the heavy weapons and deal the worst damage in the game?

what if it were a channeling mod that projected an energy blade to extend the daggers range essentially turning it into sword similar to the look of the silva sword from the sword and shield combo

That could look really cool.

Why not just leave daggers as daggers?

Buffing their speed and crit chance would make more sense than having daggers which hit slower than great-swords (I'm looking at you, Sheev...)

Extending the blade is supposed to help, how exactly? They will still be slower than the heavy weapons and deal the worst damage in the game?

Daggers don't swing slower than great swords, that's just the Pointed Wind stance, and Johnny Boomstick mentioned that they were going to rework that stance in at least one of the big dagger threads. Melee attack speed numbers can't  be compared between weapon types that way. The quick attacks are fairly quick (assuming maxed Fury and no Spoiled Strike), even to a degree on the Sheev, which is at the extreme end of the spectrum.

And reach is one of the bigger issues facing daggers. With many frames and many of the dagger models you can literally stand next to an Infested charger (and if you look at crawlers, not even Mirage with a maxed reach Karyst can reliably hit them) and miss almost every swing if you aren't using Reach. So yeah, that's kind of a problem. And even on the enemies you can hit, you still miss some hits due to range with most frames, and misses do have a significant impact on DPS.

They shouldn't become swords no, certainly not, but they do need to be able to hit reliably.

And while a blindingly fast crit dagger is something that many people want (and something that certainly needs to be in the game), not every dagger should necessarily have to be like that across the board. Having some variety in a weapon class isn't a bad thing, they just need to start filling out the other side of the dagger line up (whether that be by adding new daggers (a pocket Ichor perhaps?) or repurposing some of the older weaker ones).

...so the dagger's reach could be as long as the sword's and the sword's remains as a sword's?

That's what I was thinking. Seems a bit silly for a new mod.

A better idea would be to simply alter Reach to boost range additively instead of multiplicatively (so that a Longsword + Reach would have about the same range that it does now, but a Dagger + Reach would have about as large of a range as a stock Longsword. Or something of the sort).

Right now, Reach is only useful on melee weapons that already have long range right from the start-- which is the exact opposite of what you'd expect from a mod that claims to improve melee range. That's like creating a spread-tightening mod that only works on weapons that already have tight spread (e.g. Snipers) instead of, you know, the weapons that actually need it.

Edited by SortaRandom