Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Community Event] Ancient Shapes: An Open Study Into Warframe Power Glyphs

(PSN)NearlyDedicated

This study has been closed. It is still open for discussion, but no more submissions are being accepted at this time. Read the OP below.

gMLakDL.png

"It nodded, its outstretched metal hand surging and pulsing in ancient shapes as blue shimmered around me..."

~Mag Prime Codex Entry 

Original art used in header:

http://kylexy8835.deviantart.com/art/Warframe-Mag-446153462

Allow me to introduce myself, for those of you who don't already know me.

My (user)name is NearlyDedicated. I'm a Tenno in the field of Poleosomology, the study of Warframe. You can find some of my studies here (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/317555-polemosomology-the-study-of-warframe/?p=3588243). These include the Tenno language, a study on the process of corruption, and most recently, a study on the reoccurring word "Evolution", hidden throughout Warframe. Feel free to read up and discuss.

I finance searches (using in-game incentives, such as rare items and blueprints) to form community events. These events serve as studies into set topics, and often provide a look into Warframe's hidden lore. We have already uncovered evidence of Hayden Tenno being directly connected to the Warframes, the process of creating a Warframe, and definite proof of why the Orokin were slaughtered.

I'm here to finance another search: a look into the Warframe power glyphs. With your help, we could discover even more in the lore of Warframe. Not to mention there are prizes!

~NearlyDedicated

Poleosomology Megathread: (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/317555-polemosomology-the-study-of-warframe/?p=3588243)

Welcome, Tenno. Today I wish to conduct another study in the ancient Warframe technologies. Every Warframe is equipped with powers - unique abilities that allow us to defy the laws of nature, giving us superhuman (er, superorokin?) abilities. 

I've noticed something: sometimes, glyphs appear on Warframes when activating a power. While at first these seemed purely aesthetic, further research in the Mag Prime codex entry has led me to believe otherwise. While the Mag Prime is using what I assume to be Shield Polarize, the author describes "ancient shapes" forming in her hand. 

So this begs the question: do these ancient shapes have meaning? It's your job to explore this topic. I will gladly finance the first cell of four Tenno, working as a team, who can prove or disprove that these symbols have meaning. If you can prove it, it would be necessary to provide a mock-up of a language key, or a chart describing example symbols with their significance.

To start you off, I have provided several images of these "ancient shapes", although you may need to go in-game and take a few screenshots for further observation. Good luck, Tenno!

Examples of the "Ancient Shapes"

Excalibur from the Warframe Alpha Teaser

fjebmbI.png

Frost from Warframe Preview Screenshots

5YW79i3.jpg

Some Helpful Language Tips

Keep in mind not all languages work in the way the English language does. Other languages are based on the placement of dots in a set area, vowel significance, and other potentially unfamiliar centers.

Take for example the abugida writing system, in which a vowel modifies the next consonant. Depending on which vowel preceeds the following consonant, the consonant's shape changes. Options like these should likely be considered when reviewing the "ancient shapes". The Tenno language itself raises vowels over consonants; advanced writing techniques have crossed DE's mind(s) before.

It is also entirely possible that the ancient symbols are not a language; take a look at Frost's waistline. The same symbol forms a belt around his waist. While this may seem aesthetic, it is also possible that the specific symbol which occurs repeatedly around his waist means "center". Compare this to other Warframes, and this may pop up as a result (unconfirmed, just a guess as typing).

Consider the options, and think outside the box...you will be rewarded, Tenno!

Best of luck,

~NearlyDedicated

One more helpful hint: Perhaps a look at the "(INSERT WARFRAME HERE) Systems" icon could be of use. If I remember correctly, this (or something similar) has been connected to the Corpus. Not 100% certain of this, though, but...all roads are worth exploring!

Rewards

PS4 Only, as Usual! (Sorry Guys!) 

Note: ALL Warframe players can participate; only PS4 players will be rewarded (I don't have a PC account anymore!)

All Tenno participating, whether they win or not, will be featured in the Poleosomology Megathread under a "Contributors" section for this study.

To the first cell of four Tenno who can provide definite proof or disproof of the above theory, I will award the following upon conclusion of the study (October 12, 2014 @ 12:00 PM EDT) to each Tenno:

(1) Rare Prime Component

(1) Forma Blueprint

(1) Stance mod of Uncommon rarity or Greater (I even have a Tranquil Cleave lying around)

Event ended on October 12, 2014 @ 12:00 PM EDT 

Poleosomology Megathread: (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/317555-polemosomology-the-study-of-warframe/?p=3588243)

Edited by (PS4)NearlyDedicated

Okay...I have NEVER noticed those glyphs before...either they have been added recently or I dont pay as much attention as i thought i did ._.

They only occur during certain powers. For example, I know they occur in Banshee's soundquake and Frost's snowglobe/freeze/ice wave. Not all abilities use them.

Why? It's your job to theorize as a potential "Irritologist"! 

My submission:

There isn't a lot yet because it's late here and I'm feeling lazy but i already have a few theories concerning booben and volt. Thoughts will be added tomorrow ^^; Have tried out a few warframes but these two definetly have runes on them, no matter what power you use.

7kBKjPz.jpgBdmUD0m.jpg775f9UZ.jpgpmAgShr.jpgx2fWUqC.jpgYwauhVF.jpg

There is some stuff I have to look up first before I write my thoughts down, these lines and circles remind me on a circuit board or maybe they are more or less the flow of energy we need to use our powers. It also kind of remind me on chi..or chakra or whatever. I make no sense right now, guess you will have to wait a little while heh...

-hopes no one "steals" his idea-

Edit: Okay, I have read a little into chakras and the like and I believe that where these circles concentrate, for Vauban it is his stomach and for Volt his chest, they might be the Manipura and the Anahata Chakra.

The Manipura ("city of jewels") chakra is located at the navel, the "place of resplendence." Associated with the color yellow, this chakra is involved in self-esteem, warrior energy, and the power of transformation, it also governs digestion and metabolism. A healthy spirited third chakra helps overcome inertia and jump-starts a "get-up-and-go" attitude so it is easier to take risks, assert one's will, and assume responsibility for one's life. This chakra is also the location of deep belly laughter, warmth, ease, and the vitality received from performing selfless service.

Manipura is considered the center of dynamism, energy, will power and achievement, which radiates prana (the Sanskrit word for "life force") throughout the entire human body. It is associated with the power of fire and digestion, as well as with the sense of sight and the action of movement. Manipura is "the center of etheric-psychic intuition: a vague or non-specific, sensual sense of knowing; a vague sense of size, shape, and intent of being.As such, some psychics recommend "listening" to it since it may help in making better decisions in one's life on many different levels. Through meditating on Manipura one is said to attain the siddhis power to create (save) or destroy the world.

I find it kind of interesting because Vauban is more or less the kind of "person" who is there to help his friends. His powers are mostly defensive and as the description of the chakra states: "Assert one's will, and assume responsibility for one's life." And "the vitality received from performing selfless service."

Now for Volt:

The Anahata ("unhurt, unstruck and unbeaten") chakra is in the central channel in the spine at the heart with its kshetram (superficial activation site).

Anahata is considered the seat of the Jivatman and Parashakti. In the Upanishads, this is described as like a tiny flame inside the heart. Anahata is so called because here sages hear the sound (Anahata – shabda. Shabda meaning "speech sound") which comes without the striking of two things together. It is associated with air, touch and actions of the hands.

Anahata is associated with the ability to make decisions outside the realm of karma. In Manipura and below, man is bound by the laws of karma and fate. In Anahata one makes decisions ("follows one's heart") based on one's higher self, not the unfulfilled emotions and desires of lower nature. As such, it is known as the heart chakra. It is also associated with love and compassion, charity to others and psychic healing. Meditation on this chakra is said to bring about the following siddhis: he becomes a lord of speech; he is dear to women; his presence controls the senses of others, and he can leave and enter the body at will.

This is pretty much all I have for now. Let me know what you think.

Edited by loln8tr

-snip-

Interesting take on it. You feature some very, very nice screenshots - they give a clear look at the effect. I'm hoping some interesting conclusions will be drawn from this. Again, the circular glyph appears around the waistline (as mentioned in OP)...wondering if this has significance.

Maybe we can map out Warframe systems...and see how they work in the future (not with science). 

The overlay when using powers is nothing more than Circuitry being highlighted. If you look up any image of circuitry, the resemblance is very clear. Not to mention that the markings are all connected, with no clear beginnings or ends, indicating a complete system, not an arrangement of separate parts. Lastly, the markings bear no resemblance to any language the Tenno have utilized, making such a drastically different writing style very unlikely.

The overlay when using powers is nothing more than Circuitry being highlighted. If you look up any image of circuitry, the resemblance is very clear. Not to mention that the markings are all connected, with no clear beginnings or ends, indicating a complete system, not an arrangement of separate parts. Lastly, the markings bear no resemblance to any language the Tenno have utilized, making such a drastically different writing style very unlikely.

I'm leaning towards this too. But I would like to note, as I stated in OP and last post, that certain glyphs seem to correlate with certain body parts. I'm eager to see if anyone draws a similar conclusion.

Note: I've personally looked into the comparison of the ancient symbols. They seem to have similarities, Warframe-to-Warframe, but the design of each "System" is unique to each Warframe itself. This also varies with helmets, skins, and energy color. I'll be posting my conclusion here soon; but please, continue the discussion! I love hearing the community's theories!

-NearlyDedicated

This was my first thought as well, when I saw this topic I immediately looked up a picture of a circuit-board for comparison.  I agree with this

This was my first thought as well, when I saw this topic I immediately looked up a picture of a circuit-board for comparison.  I agree with this

But then, where is the fun in it by just saying "meh, just circuitry" owo

Edited by loln8tr

Isn't the purpose to decipher the meaning of the patterns? The answer doesn't have to be interesting.

Well, everyone can say that it's just circuitry but it gets fun once you look more into some stuff and come up with ideas for why, what, when etc etc.

That's how I see it.

Isn't the purpose to decipher the meaning of the patterns? The answer doesn't have to be interesting.

Well, everyone can say that it's just circuitry but it gets fun once you look more into some stuff and come up with ideas for why, what, when etc etc.

That's how I see it.

I happen to agree it's a form of circuitry. However, I've noticed the placement of symbols follow a pattern.

There always seems to be a circular glyph/shape where power stems from. The remaining lines simply transport power to other capacitors (circles). I'm taking a look at components used to build Warframe systems, and maybe we can map out where said materials are on the Warframe power "grid".

Again, this could be nonsense...but I like exploring all possibilities(: