Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"aiming" Melee - High And Low

BizarreFetalChimpanzee

I'm sure this has likely been suggested before, but I'll suggest it anyway.

It annoys me to no end how I'll go "sword alone," come across an Osprey buzzing around my head as an annoying mosquito, and low and behold he's a pain in the arse to hit. This is equally annoying if the enemy in question is a crawler that's below my waist.

What I'm asking for is a way that we can actually "aim" our melee so it is far less of a pain to swipe at enemies that are either flying above us or are below our waist, as these are absolute nuisances to deal with when going strictly melee.

I would actualy love the Vertical Axis of the crosshair to effect the direction of your swing with all weapons (aside from maybe certain combos that need to be grounded... like Brutal Tide when you do the break dance etc...  But it would be awesome to allow a certain amount of attacks to be directed via the crosshair either downward or upward.  I'm pretty sure it has been suggested before, but +1 to OP anyways! :-)

Its easy to hit flyers with melee, use your spin attack in the air, or your wall attack.

Enemies on the ground are easily hit too, just just have to aim at them. Turning off auto aim helps a ton.

...which both require running jumps and are situational.

As for the OP, it's a good idea and has been offered up before. However from what I remember during a few livestreams, the devs are planning on adding a jump attack that hits forward instead of downward, thus making everyone able to hit flying enemies/cameras/door lights with melee.

...which both require running jumps and are situational.

Of course its situational, theres a situation and you have the ability to handle it easily already.

So whats the problem? You cant run for 2 feet and jump attack to hit a flyer? Youre not an airplane, you dont need a long runway.

You cant aim at the cursor at the crawler on the floor? Thats too situational? Omg

Of course its situational, theres a situation and you have the ability to handle it easily already.

So whats the problem? You cant run for 2 feet and jump attack to hit a flyer? Youre not an airplane, you dont need a long runway.

You cant aim at the cursor at the crawler on the floor? Thats too situational? Omg

First off, chill it with the sarcasm. No one's fighting you nor insulting your intelligence. Don't do it to us.

Secondly, I mean situational as in: You need a wall nearby to do a wall attack. Walls aren't always close enough to use such an attack on flying enemies. A flying slide attack is also situational in that, depending upon both where you are as well as the speed of your melee weapon, you can quite easily fly right past or just bump the flying enemy before your animation can actually get to the part where it'll do damage. Let's not also forget that the enemy in question might just...fly out of the way while you're setting up your wall attack/flying slide attack.

Being able to go directly from meleeing enemies on the ground to jumping and attacking an enemy in the air that might be in that same group is a good thing. Meleeing enemies on the ground and then having to stop, gauge the angle of a wall you need to run along on to attack an enemy in the air is not a good thing. It stops the pace of the game and slows everything down, especially if you miss.

It just boggles my mind how an average player like me can quickly get used to how to take out enemies, but others call for new mechanics to be added to the game.

I mean, why does some kind of new "low attack" need to be added when all you have to do is literally just look at the enemy on the ground when swinging the weapon?

For the flyers, yeah, it was frustrating the first few encounters I had with them, and then i found out we could slide attack in the air. Then I observed their flight patterns. I never had a problem with them since, unless they were way out there like Alad's drones, when you have to wait for them to come to you. Thats pretty annoying.

I never wall attack, its too hard for me to do and im too lazy to learn lol.

I can see how flyers could be frustrating for newer players, to the point of having topics like these pop up, so adding a standing forward jump attack sounds cool.

^no offense, but some of the weapon/stance has hard time to to hit crawling or flying enemies. aim at them does NOT help.

sure it's not a problem if i use weapons like orthros, which has super long range and 360 degrees attack stance, but some weapons has awkward animation so they suffers a lot against crawling anf flying enemies.

Edited by Eric1738

aiming melee down is probably pretty easy to conceal within the existing animations. just move the hitboxes with the camera and voila. it would fit perfectly with the one button mashing gameplay that melee 2.0 essentially is.

aiming up is another story.

how about a quick fire button, either your secondary, or, to prevent just gunning it down, some sort of energy blast attack - consuming energy.

yes you can jump and down melee, but ever tried to do that out of a combo? the game strings input and then works it off, ignoring that you wanted to jump like 3 seconds ago until it's the jump button's turn.

yes, you can duck, hold w and do a slide attack out of the stand - at least that works. but ever tried to slide spin into a group of enemies that you could easily take out, just to then trigger a 5 second unabortable alerting backstab animation just because backstab isn't 'Hold E', but merely 'E'? yeah...

and yes, you can do a mid-air spin attack. but did you actually ever try to hit an osprey that is lodged in a door frame because doors don't guide flying AI properly? or one that is zipping around the place?

let's face it. the vast majority of gameplay isn't 1v1. it's horde mode. i do greatly enjoy tenchu'ing it up by sneaking - and thanks, DE, for making dethcube not attack unalerted enemies. not sure why, whethre its a bug, a feature, or just because swift deth is still unranked, but it is awesome. but mainly, melee is crowd control. a bit more dinasty warriors wouldnt hurt.

there is vast room for improvement, especially in the animation rigidity (ever had your frame just stand there and sheathe the melee weapon, while getting shot in the face, switch back to a rifle, and then break the knife back out, just because you had the gall to hammer E a bit too hastily? yeah, cost me a few revives already on fresh frames) and a melee 3.0, or at least 2.5 is needed before ever getting out of beta. we'll see what that heavy melee rebalance brings.

It just boggles my mind how an average player like me can quickly get used to how to take out enemies, but others call for new mechanics to be added to the game.

I mean, why does some kind of new "low attack" need to be added when all you have to do is literally just look at the enemy on the ground when swinging the weapon?

For the flyers, yeah, it was frustrating the first few encounters I had with them, and then i found out we could slide attack in the air. Then I observed their flight patterns. I never had a problem with them since, unless they were way out there like Alad's drones, when you have to wait for them to come to you. Thats pretty annoying.

I never wall attack, its too hard for me to do and im too lazy to learn lol.

I can see how flyers could be frustrating for newer players, to the point of having topics like these pop up, so adding a standing forward jump attack sounds cool.

Lol try doing jumping slide with a scindo. Go on.

^no offense, but some of the weapon/stance has hard time to to hit crawling or flying enemies. aim at them does NOT help.

sure it's not a problem if i use weapons like orthros, which has super long range and 360 degrees attack stance, but some weapons has awkward animation so they suffers a lot against crawling anf flying enemies.

Good point, I haven't used all the weapons in all situations so there's probably a major problem I'm not seeing with certain weapons.

Lol try doing jumping slide with a scindo. Go on.

On the other hand, I use Kronen and Furax, which are notorious for their crappy range, and can hit with slides and down attacks without a problem. I have a hard time hitting flyers with fast weapons that launch you far though, hard to gauge the distance where you have to land the hit, I need more practice.

Regardless if you can do it or find it a pain to hit fliers or crawlers, it would be very nice to be able to add more attacks to melee so you don't hVe to resort to coptoring especially with some heavy weapons and weapons that have sheathing animation that cut your distance in half.

I for one will be grateful for more Indepth combo and moves for melee

Ps. I can hit flyiers and crawlers too; still annoying

And don't forget arc traps and those magnetic door sensors for grineer tilesets

Apparently the distinction between activating an air-slash and a regular ground smash will be determined by your camera direction.

I am not looking forward to this. Combos that involve ground-smashing are about to become INCREDIBLY tedious (I'd rather not blind myself to my surroundings every time I do a ground smash, thanks), and air-slashing any enemies that happen to be below you (which, when you use lots of flips and wall-leaps in combat, is very often) is as impossible as ever.

I'd prefer a system in which you could choose your attack with the keyboard, not with the camera. Either Crouch+E for Ground Smash and just E for Air Slash, or Just E for Ground Smash and W/A/S/D+E for Air Slash.

Edited by SortaRandom

The Directional Air Attack from the latest Prime Time, pretty much covers Aeriel targets.

As for ground targets:

Reload+Melee while in stance should perform Ground Finisher

Also, finisher prompts should be changed to Reload+Melee rather than just tap melee.

If they allow manual activation of the Ground Finishers by changing the input this plus the Directional Air Melee attacks could be what is needed to hit high or low targets.

I had no idea the finisher could be toggled manually, lol

Finisher cannot be toggled manually, just prompted by pressing melee attack at the correct time.(You do not get a choice of performing a combo or finisher, if the finisher prompt is available it takes precedence over the melee combo attack ; forcing you to perform a melee finisher animation.)

I would like them to change Finishers to be activated manually with Reload+melee instead of the current normal melee tap. (Sparring and Fist weapons have a decent Ground Finisher that would be easier to use if it had a unique input, rather than just pressing melee near a downed opponent and hoping the ground finisher activates rather than just normal melee combo. And why Single target stealth kill in the middle of enemy fire? It would make more sense to Single Target Finisher when safe but in the event of a parry or Paralysis, it would make more sense to do an AoE combo with the 400% melee multiplier rather than perform a single target finisher in the middle of a group of enemies.)

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi

Ah, okay. Yeah, I was fighting Kubrows on Earth with my Galatine and I was doing a cool finisher animation. I can see both the necessity for toggling it manually as well as automatically. Perhaps a manual command for not in stance, and automatic finishers when in stance?

No it should be the opposite.

We have unused controls while in stance and limited buttons when agun is equipped.

But reload+melee to perform Ground Finisher or Steal/parry prompt both in and out if stance, would work.

Since the directinal-airbourne melee is basically repurposing Wall Attacks.

Manual Ground finisher activation sounds like a reasonable change.

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi