Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are People With Simpler Names Likely To Be Better Players?

[DE]Momaw

Mastery rank 17, and I can see how this is something people may, or may not have seen themselves. Of course I have. Any time I play with someone with a awesome name that isn't a series of fancy xxx, or 1234 they tend to be more interesting, and all around creative.

edit: not trying to be mean or anything. Just I get the feeling if your name is original you may have been around longer, and experimented with alot of stuff in the game.

Edited by Arlayn

I wonder what people think of my name......I've been both dissed tremendously and congratulated for it. On my playstyle, that's for you to say. I play for fun, showing newbies the ropes and mentoring excaliburs, and I use what I like. If I don't go down and end up having fun, that's all I ask.

Well, cases like @Radford_343 are pretty common in videogames. I started to use Vykhram as nickname because there was a game that i liked, and i needed a name. Like some kiddos, i chose "ShadowKller" (yeah, with the bad english included) but was in use already and, for some reason, i got "Vykhram" in my mind and since then has been my main nickname.

Just like some people in this topic... I'm MR13, i usually use Valkyr (i love her so much :'c), i tend to help people, specially new ones... and sometimes they know more than what i knew when i was in the same stage in the game (e.g. recently unlocked rhinos). When im in high level missions too, always behind the Nekros or Frost in case they need protection.

The thing is the annoying usernames with the xXXXxxxx 420 84719384198312 and stuff is associated with younger players who are less mature supposedly. 

It's not really the username, the username is a reflection and can generally be a gauge of how old or mature the player is.

Sadface :(

Radford has been taken in every online gameI've played since Bad Company 2, so I have to improvise :D

Why not just pick something that isn't taken? If I went to play a game and noticed that SquirmyBurrito had already been taken I'd throw a temper tantrum and then (after I calmed down) I'd try out one of my other numberless aliases.

I'm only ~MR 13. I just can't be arsed to actually level weapons I don't want.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

This is pretty true in nearly every online game I've played. Shorter or more silly names tend to be much better players. This isn't true at all times, but there is definitely a positive correlation between the two. I mean if you see xxshadowlord293xx running at you, I'm betting you won't feel threatened. But when you see S#&$ like GaggleofFowl coming, well I'd be pissing my pants.

I often find that people with names like "uber killa assassin" tend to be absolutely terrible players no matter what game they appear in.

They pick the name that makes them "look" like super killers (only to them, anyone else tends to cringe physically when they see names like that) but spend most of their time either respawning or waiting to be revived (depending on the game).

9 times out of 10 they can't spell assassin either. They usually go with "ASSASIN" in all caps to highlight their stupidity.

The only reason you notice when people with short names do well is because they are easy to read so stand out quicker.

I tend to ignore long names.

Edited by Ailissa

I just follow the golden rule of old school.

My character is a representation of myself.

People that put effort and meaning into their names usually end up being more serious about their gaming experiences.

I can agree that it is nice to have a unique name that represents you. Gives a sense of identity I suppose. Edited by Vorsches

There is no correlation between the length of a username and skill level.

I've used three different tags over the course of my life depending on the situations regarding their creation. It's just what I choose to be called. Skill level will always be separate from that.

I dunno. Maybe there is something to it. Or maybe it's just a case of registering the hits and ignoring the misses. That's a pretty common thing.

My current screen name is based on my initials. I don't know that it's easy to type (most people just shorten it to arch), but it's fairly original, I would think. It hasn't been taken anywhere I've used it since adopting it, at any rate. I'm MR14, real close to being able to rank up.

I think it has less to do with 'simple' names and more with unique names, and less to do with skill and more with how it changes the way you perceive that player.

I mean if I entered a match and my teammates names were:

naruto666

1chigo15

x_Goku_x

I can't help but already picture them as obnoxious 12 year old's are going to be total noobs.

I know it's wrong to judge a book by it's cover but the fact is people do make judgement based on first impressions and even if they play as well as someone with a unique name I'm still probably going to pay more attention to what they do wrong rather then what they do right.

Edited by HappyApathy

All I know is, back when we had to type people's names to invite or send tells to people (or scroll through that huge &#! list of names) to try to get runs going, I got picked more often than LeetHaxOOORS69 or Xx_S3phiroth_xX because it's pretty damned easy to type /invite Gelkor.

Edited by Gelkor