Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are People With Simpler Names Likely To Be Better Players?

[DE]Momaw

Generally speaking

Players who take gaming more seriously will name themselves seriously

A player named RedFlag is likely going to be more skilled than DarthGokuverine2001

And DarthGokuverine2001 will be better than a player with a name like Azawarau

Generally speaking

Players who take gaming more seriously will name themselves seriously

A player named RedFlag is likely going to be more skilled than DarthGokuverine2001

And DarthGokuverine2001 will be better than a player with a name like Azawarau

What about my name? It's silly as all hell but I still got to MR16 and don't play many games besides Warframe.

Although I've been thinking about changing my alias to Crimson Dust, the name I use for my favorite machines when I play an Armored Core game. 

Edited by Plasmaface

What about my name? It's silly as all hell but I still got to MR16 and don't play many games besides Warframe.

Although I've been thinking about changing my alias to Crimson Dust, the name I use for my favorite machines when I play an Armored Core game. 

Id trust your name

I dont trust someone like NOVAISTHEBEST

I knew this really godly pvper in another game that went by the name zXxSakuraGGWaifuxXz.

This theory is probably mistaken.

There's a fair chance this particular player chose their name ironically.

On the whole, available evidence supports ideas similar to OP's.

Players with shorter or less complex names are marginally more likely to be pleasant companions. In generalizing by name, there is a minefield of caveats like:

- complicated names chosen by young gamers who later matured and have retained their original handle (like my own brother, who goes by BS_SlayerEX or some variation of that)

- ironic handles

- throwaway handles

- the unknown component of a player's general disposition and overall attachment to a given game. Players may behave wildly differently from one game to the next, even for emergent/temporary reasons related to certain dynamics of play.

...and others that don't spring immediately to mind.

My own experience and the limited research available on the topic suggest that players who feel attached to a standard handle/avatar are much more likely to be pleasant or mature - but not necessarily skilled. Certainly more pleasant to play with, skill level excluded. A player's level of identification with their avatar doesn't easily correlate with the length or complexity of their avatar's name.

As far as I can tell, the official Science stance is "Well, maybe. We can't say that's wrong at the moment."

Easier the name... Easier to invite. That at least one thing what I have noted to be good thing.

If I can glance at your name in chat and type it out without having to squint and differentiate uppercase from lowercase, and numbers from letters, and dashes from underscores, then you get an invite, if I have do any of those, you get an invite only if no one else responds.

I don't think people with simpler names are better, but I'm too lazy to invite anything but simple names.

Bestfly, literally every single game I have played use this same name and if you do encounter a "Bestfly" in a game 70% of the time its me. *^* I'm MR8 but most definitely higher then that in terms of exp, since I don't do MR Tests anymore there is currently no purpose of going higher then 8 atm.

Also I do agree that people with shorter names that are easy to remember are probably more dedicated and mindful of what other players and the community sees them as a whole which can also be reflected in how they play in-game with other people and parties. Since for what I've seen people who do have the ridiculously complicated names are much less pleasant and are pretty uptight about various things and generally act quite childish thats not to say all people with ridiculously complicated names are all bad.

(Atleast this is my opinion on the topic and what I've experienced in several games)

Edited by Bestfly

i dont think its the name but the experience and players that someone surrounds them selves with. I say this cause i had joined a clan with players that were mastery rank 10+ when i first started and learned and questioned. Never fought but took what they said to heart and maybe that is what helped me be the player I am not a name but another player who would like to see others advance like i have. So maybe it is the name not the player but what you guys think. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a need of feeding my ego and this is a perfect opportunity!!!

:D

A broad generalisation but it's a generalisation for a reason.

Some traits i noticed:

-Most "effective" people are people with a unique and short name often not made of existing or english words. Usually use a mix of fun and effectiveness when it comes to choosing a frame. Also my name is quite short and easy but EVERYONE keeps saying Half-Life instead of Half-Hero  T_T

Not to sound narcissitic but even though i play as Ash most often and people sometimes hate me for that i'm probably the best at incorporating multiple techniques to a situation(and use any other mechanic that is not gear related). I don't spam blade storm, but i do use teleport VERY often, sometimes more often than smoke bomb. Unless there's a player who spams M Prime or other Ults i end up being the most useful player just because of how i don't rely so much on the powers and weapons.

Instead of supplementing my abilities, my abilities supplement me.(that's what distincts a good player from a bad player)

-Most "fun" and moderately effective are those with a medium length name that is made of existing english words usually with a little humor and may contain non letters. (such as ehm... ImpressiveTaco90)

-The "bad" players (again, this isn't meant to offend and is a generalisation) are those with long and odd names which are either too serious or not seious enough and include decorative symbols. Usually they are either:

-bad player with a not very special/exotic frame. 

-a rhino(prime) player with boltor(or any OP gun at the moment), he might seem so useful but it's simply because of their powers. When it comes down to sheer skill and effectiveness they are faaaar behind.

I am not sure if there is a direct correlation, but definitely there is the stereotype that shorter names, generally those without numbers and other such symbols means you are a better player. This probably because you have to had been a more seasoned or veteran player to obtain such a desired name. To be honest, my old Warframe name use to be "Kapow_best_demolitions" and people would often find me as a noob, but when I did a name change to my current name, Valafor, I began to get more respect from PUBs.