Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is Zephyr Underrated?

AridTeflon

Methinks the primary reason you dont see many Zephyrs is because of the Oxium grind.

Other than that, Tailwind is great for mobility, Turbulence is Turbulence, and Tornadoes is great for distrupting large crowds and inflicting mass status procs at the same time.

Shes my number 2 choice for Defence missions, after Volt.

The only problem i have with playing her is that you literally cannot copter with her if youre not hosting. I wish DE would fix that S#&$ already.

Oh and the unchangeable grey bits all over her. But I managed to work it into a scheme that doesnt look S#&$.

Edited by Dualstar

I doubt I'm saying anything new, and speaking only for myself:

First and foremost - 600 bleeping Oxium.

When a good solo Corpus MD gives you ~20 - if you know about it - and ~5-6 from a good other mission if you don't;

a Helios costs 300, and every G3 bolt costs 20.

This puts Zephyr in the way end of the availabilty list.

Tail wind is a lot of fun, but with slingshot and copter weapons it's mostly unneeded. (And how often do you need vertical mobility if you aren't an explorer?)

Divebomb is potentially situationally useful, but I wouldn't keep it if I potated my Zephyr.

Turbulence, which is arguably her most effective skill, has opaque, unclear mechanics/effect.

(and the only faction where its effect is clear - the Corpus - is much better countered by Mag.)

And Tornado suffers from 'tentacle syndrome'.

And I love her low-grav perk, but some people might not.

Psst... try maxing your range on a max turbulence and go stand still with it on, by yourself, in T4 Defense for 5 mins...

Don't just stand off by yourself.  Stand next to the pod for 5 minutes.  Frosts can eat their hearts out.

The caveat is that it does nothing against melee, so Turbulence doesn't help in Dark Sectors and ODD.  It's nice for Void defense though.

Zephyr's just sadly one of those frames without a snazzy exploding 4th ability at her disposal, very similar too the Nekros conversation in how the poor guy has only two skills worth bothering for many people and again not a 4th powerful ability. In fact its almost identical because both frames are awesome in their own rights and then their given these somewhat useless skills (Soul Punch, Dive Bomb), both of these hardly do a thing when the numbers start flying out let alone against one very tough enemy.

They both also have abilities not even their strongest that are ok skills, Nekros has his Desecrate and his Terrify while Zyphr's got her Immunity to damage. They both have useless major skills that would be good if not almost every Warframe had a super 4th ability, cant blame the frames for this blame the people giving every Warframe a super 4th ability that can decimate fields of enemies and then give only a few Warframes unable too do this what did you expect too happen?

If Warframe wants too keep this trend then they need too give both of these guys a super 4th ability too even the playing field, that would probably give these very controversial Warframes a break.

Don't just stand off by yourself.  Stand next to the pod for 5 minutes.  Frosts can eat their hearts out.

Turbulence is the best thing in the game by far for what it does but what it does is specialized: Creating a no-fly-zone for projectile based ranged weapons.  Because it works differently against hitscan type ranged weapons, it's not 100% reliable as a ranged defense when enemies come in a mix of types with different weapons.  In long void missions the most dangerous things are heavy gunners (guess who has hitscan weapons that will completely ignore Turbulence if they're outside its radius of effect...) and, irritatingly, grenades (completely affected).

Snow Globe is not as good at negating projectiles, but it's much better at negating hitscans and all other forms of badness.

Honestly I'm more confused why nobody wants Volt.  Electric shield can be rigged up with quite long duration and it is absolute protection against ranged weapons of all kinds.  Yeah you need to put up a few of them to form a bunker, but still....

Turbulence > snow globe for corpus and grineer.  Just put on stretch, stand on top of objective, you and it will not die ever (assuming you have energy for turbulence and tornadoes of course).  You and it will take a bit of damage sure but it's completely manageable.  That and it doesn't prevent friendly bullets from passing through and obstruct vision and it doesn't also have a maximum hp...and it allows you to revive anyone just about any time.  Plus enemies will typically focus fire on you, if you're standing on top of the thing out in the open.

Tail wind and dive bomb are good for setting up finishers.  Which negates enemy armor, starts strong stays strong.  Quick and cheap CC too.  Throw on orthos prime, color your frame purple, call yourself a dragoon.

As for tornadoes, it's not like vauban deals a lot of damage with his traps.  On infected missions he's a better choice...but tornadoes are great CC.  It's just up to the player to know when to use it, when it can kill enemies or when you're overwhelmed and that's it.  I guess there must be a lot of bad players giving her a bad rap but I still think she's one of the best frames.  

"The real problem is that Zephyr is only good at protecting herself."

Stand in a doorway or hall with your teammates behind you when turbulence is up, or cast tornadoes when you're surrounded.  You know, be a tank...

Plus the only time frame matters is on long survival missions, being able to quickly get LS in a pinch can be useful.  In 4 player defense frame selection really doesn't matter.  Wave 50 is easily achievable with any random 4 frames so long as a couple have decent CC.  Except for infested defense speed farming and well all you need is nova / vauban / trinity.

Edited by SleepingSentry

• 2 weeks later...

Quoting myself from another thread, this fits here better:

Zephyr needs a serious buff, asap.

I play her only few days but already see major flaws and holes that could easily be filled...

1 -

This power should be a charged ability. Zephyr before the flight, crouches, gathers strength and creates a whirl around her with a push back effect. Activating while running/sliding results in directional flight.

If triggered in mid air, also a similar whirl would appear, slightly elevating Zephyr, draining some energy before the actual flight.

New air Melee moves that will come SoonTM, will fit this change perfectly.

Damage on "flying through" enemies should be upgraded to balance her use in narrow corridors where she can't benefit from heights.

2 -

Range, range, more range. It has such a small radius I don't use it at all. Installing Heavy Impact makes more sense and I see no synergy when both - power and H.I. are in use.

It SHOULD be usable on the ground, having a short jump animation similar to the one activated from low hight. No more awkward stomps canceling even the early jump animation.

3 -

Creating a push back whirl at the start would be a good addition.

4 -

Enemies surviving air trip should stay on the ground longer and get up with "dizzy" effect.

I like Zephyr's mobility and bullet immunity is a nice bonus but for now she's the most awkward frame to use without decent benefits for mastering the controls. And her second ability is extremal weak/glitched.

She doesn't need to deal damage, she's the perfect 'gun/weapon-frame' if you look at her abilities and stats.

^

This.  When want to use abilities to kill things I would use my Ember Priime.  Zephyr is perfect for running and gunning and she does it VERY well.  If I'm using Zephyr I rarely ever get downed because she's so tough and so mobile.  If someone gets downed in a crowd of enemies I pop turbulence fly over to them and pop tornado.  With maxed duration I have little trouble rezzing people.

Zephyr's just sadly one of those frames without a snazzy exploding 4th ability at her disposal

People in this game are way to stuck on using abilities to blow everything up.  A warframe is 'bad' if it can't nuke the entire room.  Let them play their nuke frames.  I will keep my birdy thank you very much.

Zephyr is not a tank...

She has those stats due to the reason her role becomes useless when you play with her in a map with ceilings and making tail wind and dive bomb nearly useless. Its the same reason they gave her turbulence and tornado.

While giving her a bit of shield can be helpfull as it does for all frames, she barely needs it if you know how to play her, large crowd of enemies? tail wind through them and add slash procs, or dive bomb to knock all down.

In defense, shes one of the best, add her heavy impact, and with dive bomb, christ, that thing is insane.

She's a bird in a cage. Most level designs are closed rooms so 2 of her abilities (and her niche) are severely punished. Also, having an RNG-based Ult is terrible. I'd rate her Ult way down somewhere next to Radial Javelin. She lacks damage overall and weak on team utility so she is unlikely to win hearts in most cases.

Personally I think you dont see Zephyr much because of the oxium needed to make her. 600 oxium (200 per part) is just kind of rediculous. The only other frame that has a worse grind wall is hydriod but the resources for him are at least a bit more reasonable (although you do need a few argon).

Shes certainly a fun frame to play with her high mobility and near invincibility with turbulance up. I personally play her as a mobile rifleman with the latron wraith and lex prime to snipe high powered enemes in the middle of groups. Dive bomb can also be fun especially when paired with the heavy impact mod but its an awkward power to use, especially with inclosed maps like a grineer ship. Tornado is just pure CC and honestly other warframes just do it better. Its interesting that you can change the elemental damage they do based on your weapons elemental damage but that isnt enough to make them anything but an emergency CC power. I feel like they should be kind of like Hydriods tentacle swarm, high dot damage and good CC but maybe if they were high or garanteed status procs they could still be useful.

I love using Zephyr. The frame is just all around fun to play. Turbulence is a good skill for minimizing damage. She is GREAT for interception missions. The tornadoes don't really spread around loot like they used to and are great to spawn at an interception tower and then zoom off  to another and let the tornadoes do the defense.

Also, I don't see the problems with Tornado that seem people say. When you cast it goes directly for enemies, often spawning on top of them and then it goes towards other enemies. It is not the best skill in the game of course, but it isn't as bad as some people say.

Edited by (PS4)renosis