The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dera's Damage Type

SullyTheStalker

Looking back at the damage 1.0 system, the Dera had "Laser"-type damage.  It occured to me that radiation damage is the closest thing we have to lasers now, so why not introduce that damage type on some of the Corpus-themed weapons?  If the Dera had Radiation damage instead of physical damage, it would be along the same lines as the Tysis and Acrid, benefiting from a different set of damage multipliers and a good proc effect while being balanced out by being unable to use physical damage mods.

Please tell me your opinions on this as well as any related ideas you have.  And if you're going to argue against this, please come up with something better than "this would make too much sense for this game".  I'm inviting you to discuss this idea I had and how it would affect the game, not talk about how the laws of physics need not apply in Warframe.

- Sully The Stalker

Looking back at the damage 1.0 system, the Dera had "Laser"-type damage.  It occured to me that radiation damage is the closest thing we have to lasers now, so why not introduce that damage type on some of the Corpus-themed weapons?  If the Dera had Radiation damage instead of physical damage, it would be along the same lines as the Tysis and Acrid, benefiting from a different set of damage multipliers and a good proc effect while being balanced out by being unable to use physical damage mods.

Please tell me your opinions on this as well as any related ideas you have.  And if you're going to argue against this, please come up with something better than "this would make too much sense for this game".  I'm inviting you to discuss this idea I had and how it would affect the game, not talk about how the laws of physics need not apply in Warframe.

- Sully The Stalker

Well corpus weapons do fire super heated plasma (going for supra) i think it would be nice if they had a passive heat damage attribute kinda like how the heat swords have a fire damage slam attack or something. But for when it comes to pure radiation damage weapons, so far we only have: secondaries, Deron and Nukor  melee: dark series and thats about it.

I've always wondered the same thing. It would honestly make sense to have either heat or radiation dmg for all the corpus plasma weapons. Or maybe puncture and radiation/heat only. It would give weapons like the Dera a little bit of a kick as well.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

Grineer, Corpus, and Tenno weapons are generally built to attack their main enemies.

Corpus weapons tend to do Puncture to kill Grineer better.

Grineer weapons tend to do impact to kill Corpus better.

Tenno weapons tend to do slash to kill Infested better.

That said, dual-type damage weapons would throw some variety into the mix... but if all the Corpus lasers did radiation it wouldn't be much variety in the end anyways.

Corpus weapons do have a weird lack of consistency in damage type dealt. Sort of. It's either Electric or Puncture, aside from special cases (like Glaxion)

For Projectiles:

Dera, Tetra, Supra, Cestra: Puncture

But

Lanka: Electric

Detron: Radiaton

Beam Weapons:

Spectra: Puncture

Flux Rifle: Slash

Quanta: Electric

These are just guns that look like they're shooting the same thing. I don't mind variety, but it'd be nice if the projectiles were more element oriented.

Grineer, Corpus, and Tenno weapons are generally built to attack their main enemies.

Corpus weapons tend to do Puncture to kill Grineer better.

Grineer weapons tend to do impact to kill Corpus better.

Tenno weapons tend to do slash to kill Infested better.

That said, dual-type damage weapons would throw some variety into the mix... but if all the Corpus lasers did radiation it wouldn't be much variety in the end anyways.

Thats true but radiation is infinitely more effective against the grineer (alloy armor) then puncture, Heat is on roughly equal terms as puncture. So it would still fit the rock, paper, scissors status quo. I always found electric weird on the lanka and plasma weaponry.

I'd like to see energy weapons get either exclusively elemental dmg (radiation/heat/electricity) or a combo of maybe puncture/impact with an element. The exceptions being laser weapons like the Mquanta and flux rifle etc as slash dmg makes sense for them at least. 

Or maybe puncture and radiation/heat only.

Puncture/Radiation would be a pretty good combo for fighting Grineer.

On the other hand, fighting Corpus would become a lot worse if all of their weapons (and not just Detron) did Radiation damage. Tenno are pretty weak (+75%) to Radiation, after all.