Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Uploading An Unmodified Warframe Copy

Dequire

As I'm sure most of you know, especially those at DE's dev crew, Warframe's launcher has a bad tendency to use Internet Explorer's systems in order to update/download the game. This is an atrocity and a sad way to go about updating your game. IE is very well known to bug, crash, and just be stupid in general. It is a bad choice of programs to use to download, especially when the game already goes through Steam. Obviously, I would prefer a different downloading program, but DE has made it fairly clear that's out of the question due to their total lack of acknowledgement/comment.

Thus, I have grown.. I believe justifiably irritated with the process and wish to offer my own alternative to players who are incapable of downloading/updating the game from the basic download methods. Namely, by uploading an unmodified (Totally clean and untouched) version of Warframe, my own, to a free uploading source where I can update it regularly to keep up with the game's updates to allow players to continue to play, and possibly pay for the game.

I only want to help both sides by doing this. I would gain nothing. DE gets a slightly broader array of players due to the bypass of a not uncommon game breaking bug, and previously incapable players get to enjoy the game as it was intended. All I need to know is if it would be okay to upload the game to an alternative source and post a link on the forums to it, with a reminder that I am not to gain ANYTHING from it, and that it is totally untouched and clean.

I doubt this would be allowed.

People inputting their account details into a program not hosted by themselves, on a site not within their or DE's control?

In my mind, it would be too easy to add keylogging software or whatever to steal account data.

I urge people to not use such a off-site version of the game client and to only use official sources for the Warframe application.

I have 100% certainty that you will not be permitted to do that.

I'm curious what you mean about IE. Is that just a manner of speaking to say that the installer is slow and fails on occasion? I doubt a download from a browser would fare any better.

There's always the off chance. DE knows about the bug, most definately.

And the alternative download would work because it's probably not going to be downloaded through IE. IE is very notorious for having a large number of issues and breaking down frequently. Being able to manually download and install the primary game files would bypass that bug because it doesn't use the download to get them.

"I doubt this would be allowed.

People inputting their account details into a program not hosted by themselves, on a site not within their or DE's control?

In my mind, it would be too easy to add keylogging software or whatever to steal account data.

I urge people to not use such a off-site version of the game client and to only use official sources for the Warframe application."

...If I were just in it to put in a few keyloggers, why would I be asking the community, and DE themselves, if it were okay to upload a copy of it? don't you think they'd check the file? Or even upload their own copy?

Edited by Dequire

I'm still not sure what you are referencing with IE. A launcher is a launcher, using the code is was scripted in (Java, HTML5, etc). IE definitely isn't running when I run the game itself.

DE themselves have pointed out that the game actually uses Internet Explorer's coding and, in fact, REQUIRES that program in order to run and update the game. The game itself has nothing to do with IE. The launcher does.

And in fact, if you go to the help sections for this particular bug, you'll find that people will direct you to changing options in IE on occasion.

DE themselves have pointed out that the game actually uses Internet Explorer's coding and, in fact, REQUIRES that program in order to run and update the game. The game itself has nothing to do with IE. The launcher does.

And in fact, if you go to the help sections for this particular bug, you'll find that people will direct you to changing options in IE on occasion.

Do you mean that the launcher uses IEs setting or just IE as a base for downloading? The settings are system wide, and not connected to IE alone.

That's weird. I hope that's a temporary solution. I don't think this is widely known at all, though, hence the doubt from most respondents.

That's weird. I hope that's a temporary solution. I don't think this is widely known at all, though, hence the doubt from most respondents.

Considering that it's been in since the very beginning? I don't think so. Their excuse, by quote is, it makes it easier to detect problems.

And perhaps it isn't as well known as I had hoped, despite half a forums worth of topics about it when 14.5 came out.

That's not true. I don't have Internet Explorer on my pc. I hate that thing. It's slow. So then why does Warframe Launcher still work when updating? And Just because it uses the same script as IE doesn't mean it uses IE. What your saying is the same concept as a game made with C++ is the exact same game as another made with C++.

In a word, no. This is in violation of the EULA to start, specifically Section 2 License Restrictions and limitations, subsections j, k, l, and m (from what I can discern).

j.      host, provide or develop matchmaking services for the Software or Service or intercept, emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Digital Extremes in any way, for any purpose, including without limitation, unauthorized play over the Internet, network play, or as part of content aggregation networks;

k.     facilitate, create or maintain any unauthorized connection to the Software or Service, including without limitation, (i) any connection to any unauthorized server that emulates, or attempts to emulate, the Service; or (ii) any connection using programs or tools not expressly approved by Digital Extremes in writing in each instance;

l.      create any other software or content that incorporates the Software or Service or any portion thereof; or

m.    sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Software to other parties in any way not expressly authorized herein, or rent, lease or license the Software to others

Any attempts to host/ provide files of the service need to be expressly allowed with the consent of DE. In this case it would require a specific formal meeting of a sort where terms are arranged and contracts signed.
You can pursue it, but I don't see it happening, nor would I attempt to host the service [launcher updates are part of the service].