Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vertical Progression Vs. Horizontal Progression

merryfistmas

so your saying you don't like warframe because that's all i'm getting from you your not suggesting an improvement to a single system your talking total overhaul of the entire game that i'm sure if you have a brain you know it wont happen however good a system total horizontal is its not for warframe and you should give the "it MUST be totally horizontal" thing a rest because thats good for single player games but not a mmo like warframe there are people like myself who take great joy in squeezing every last drop of overpoweredness out of every weapon even the ones you say are outclassed there is no useless weapon in this game only useless players without the drive to dig in and make them good

Other than the fact that we're in too deep to turn back now, what reasons, in your opinion, prevent Warframe from becoming a horizontal game? And when you say "squeeze overpoweredness out of a weapon" do you mean min/maxing dps? If not, what do you mean?

The issue is that there aren't all kinds of things to do for everyone at every stage of the game and the reason that's the case is that you have to spend most of the grinding in order to acquire or level weapons that are going to be outclassed by the next update.

The idea is for the coming content to fix that. It will probably never be perfect, but we can hope, and the devs seem to have good enough grasp on the idea, it's up to them to see how they'll deal with it.

The idea is for the coming content to fix that. It will probably never be perfect, but we can hope, and the devs seem to have good enough grasp on the idea, it's up to them to see how they'll deal with it.

I've been watching the latest dev stream and have now realized that they're moving to fix it and I'm happy about that.

Edited by merryfistmas

1. Another dude tried to get mods removed and Steve got mad as hell. Don't screw with that shi'.

2. Different ways to play the game? Interesting, but doesn't every frame offer a different playstyle - and Focus will now allow you to narrow that stuff down? I like what you're saying Deus Ex offers, and I think we can agree utility mode need to go. But one victory at a time, right?

3. No level scaling? Now, Hive was a step in a good direction with its hazards, but... with the sheer quantity of enemies you fight, the sheer amount of AI overload would be - holy Christ. Nasty shi'.

I do like your ideas, though. It's good to hear (relatively) constructive feedback on how to handle the game's grind, in detail.

One last thing - notionphil had this nice little thread on how to balance weapons and prevent powercreep. It might be interesting to check out.

1. Another dude tried to get mods removed and Steve got mad as hell. Don't screw with that shi'.

Correction: A guy tried to explain why he thinks Mods should be removed for something else in a way that slightly insulted the developers, and Steve got mad because of that rather than the suggestion of removing Mods.

Really the initial post (which was a bit insulting) and Steve's reaction made them both come off as pretty childish.

Edited by Sasquatch180

Correction: A guy tried to explain why he thinks Mods should be removed for something else in a way that slightly insulted the developers, and Steve got mad because of that rather than the suggestion of removing Mods.

Really the initial post (which was a bit insulting) and Steve's reaction made them both come off as pretty childish.

"Scraping the bottom of the barrel with mods"

A game with only horizontal progression works because it has been built that way

Those games are often ones where you play through multiple times, as the horizontal element keeps the game fresh even after playing through it after completing it a couple of times.

Warframe however doesn't quite work like that, as of now you can start one account and do everything the game offers on it. There is no real choice that the player has to make, meaning that starting again offers very little gameplay wise.

Simply replacing all the progression here with horizontal progression would basically require the game to be redesigned from the ground up, and even then, still wouldn't work too well.

However I do agree that some broadening of game mechanics are needed.

But my final word on the matter is thus: why limit a game to a single type of Progression? Why not offer both, it both gives a player more to aim for and more to do.

This is what DE seem to be going for now, adding content that explands on everything