Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infested Form For Warframes

SuperMrSkully

It's possible there is a link in the Warframe suits however.

For the purposes of this conversation, are we considering Dark Sector as canon?

If so, then there's a good chance then tenno do have Technocyte. The proto armor in Dark Sector is made from Technocyte, and it's implied that the reason Hayden is able to use it is because of his stabilized Technocyte infection. 

If Dark Sector isn't canon, then I have no idea. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. 

For the purposes of this conversation, are we considering Dark Sector as canon?

If so, then there's a good chance then tenno do have Technocyte. The proto armor in Dark Sector is made from Technocyte, and it's implied that the reason Hayden is able to use it is because of his stabilized Technocyte infection. 

If Dark Sector isn't canon, then I have no idea. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. 

Dark Sector probably isn't canon. If it was you'd think DE wouldn't bother dodging the question, but they do.

Warframe is the sort of game Dark Sector was supposed to be originally, before being changed into something else over pressure from above. This is the spiritual successor of the game DE wanted to make.

As such DE makes a lot of references to Dark Sector and the worlds the games take place in share building blocks, however I don't think Dark Sector matters in the scope of the events of Warframe.

The reasoning is simple. Dark Sector would have taken place so far in the past that the events that dictated what happened would be nothing but whispers among the historic information that does exist.

Even if DE acknowledged they exist in the same timeline, the gap is staggering. The things they'd share would be names. Terms. A direct plot link would be silly.

Of course, this is my opinion. Nothing more.

kinda silly making resemblance between Dark Sector and Warframe if there's no connection whatsoever. its like DE was too lazy to bring up new concept or too lazy to explore and explain the continuation from existing Dark Sector concept. I like warframe for what it is not what it was before so yea, I'm fine with the way it is now. 

Due to the influence of a third party on the setting/lore of Dark Sector, I think of it of having a similar relationship to Warframe as Adam West's Batman does to Christian Bale's Batman.  The same characters but portrayed in very different ways and what happened in one in no way defines the history of the other.

There is 0 useful information on what the Infestation actually is. In fact, calling it 'Technocyte' is a fan-name in loving reference to Dark Sector. It's not been called by a name in-game yet.

Decription of Nanospores:  "Fibrous technocyte tumor. Handle Infested tissue with caution."  Although, this does make me think the Tenno aren't carrying the technocyte virus, or at least not the same strain, as we wouldn't need to be warned to be cautious if we were already infected.

Decription of Nanospores:  "Fibrous technocyte tumor. Handle Infested tissue with caution."  Although, this does make me think the Tenno aren't carrying the technocyte virus, or at least not the same strain, as we wouldn't need to be warned to be cautious if we were already infected.

Ah. I'd almost completely forgotten about that. I stand corrected. Thanks. Turns out there IS one place that calls it by that name.

Now my only worry is the age of the flavor text. Whenever DE lurches forwards in the plot and makes changes to the behind-the-scenes workings of the world they tend to forget to update existing information that isn't directly related.

One of the reasons I'm so skeptic of the idea that Tenno may still be Infested Humans is due to the tendency for retconned information to never end up updated.

The reasoning is simple. Dark Sector would have taken place so far in the past that the events that dictated what happened would be nothing but whispers among the historic information that does exist.

I mean, events that take place far in the past can still influence modern goings-on, even if they have no direct connection.

Maybe the Orokin heard an ancient legend about Hayden Tenno and were like "hey, why don't we try that?"

I mean, events that take place far in the past can still influence modern goings-on, even if they have no direct connection.

Maybe the Orokin heard an ancient legend about Hayden Tenno and were like "hey, why don't we try that?"

That would be a viable explanation for the invention of the Warframes IMO.

Still not 100% sold on the Tenno just being Hayden copycats. To me the link leading to them being as they are through Void exposure both sounds more appealing and more likely.

That would be a viable explanation for the invention of the Warframes IMO.

Still not 100% sold on the Tenno just being Hayden copycats. To me the link leading to them being as they are through Void exposure both sounds more appealing and more likely.

The way I figure it, the tenno and all their crazy void powers are an Orokin invention, and the Technocyte suit that the wearer interfaces with through their own infection is something they just borrowed and added on top. 

They were looking to make a super soldier, so why wouldn't they go all out?

The way I figure it, the tenno and all their crazy void powers are an Orokin invention, and the Technocyte suit that the wearer interfaces with through their own infection is something they just borrowed and added on top. 

They were looking to make a super soldier, so why wouldn't they go all out?

That's a cute idea. Unfortunately lacking anything that even approaches a timeline in regards to when the Tenno and the Infested came into being makes a lot of it hard to say. 

These kinds of talks tend to run out of information to use as fuel fast. :| I wish it seemed like an effort was being made to fix it.

There is nothing in the scraps of information we have directly linking the Infestation to the Tenno save for the knowledge they've definitely always been enemies. The use of the word 'afflicted' is not sufficient to prove much of anything.

It's possible there is a link in the Warframe suits however.

I thought everyone was clear on that we're just speculating...?

That's a cute idea. Unfortunately lacking anything that even approaches a timeline in regards to when the Tenno and the Infested came into being makes a lot of it hard to say. 

These kinds of talks tend to run out of information to use as fuel fast. :| I wish it seemed like an effort was being made to fix it.

We know the Orokin had Technocyte on hand. 

"The Derelicts may have been test sites for the original virus, which would explain the extremely developed state of Lephantis, or simply could not escape into the void in time when the Technocyte virus was released against the Sentients."

That's part of the entry for the Derelicts. So we can assume they had access to the virus during the war at least. 

I'm pretty sure that the Infested are confirmed to be an Orokin creation during the "Old War" against the Sentients; the Sentients had the ability to turn Orokin technology against their masters so they had to come up with an organic solution; a bio-weapon.

Which, as always happens with bio-weapons in vidja gajmes; it too quickly grew out of control and blew up in their faces and when both the Sentients and the Orokin bit the dust, the Infested were on the loose and free to feed on the entire galaxy.

Edited by Brimir

I thought everyone was clear on that we're just speculating...?

Even speculation needs to be able to criticized for not linking up with anything in particular. If speculation about the lore is no longer actually connected to existing lore then it's no longer really lore speculation - it's just fan fiction. 

We know the Orokin had Technocyte on hand. 

"The Derelicts may have been test sites for the original virus, which would explain the extremely developed state of Lephantis, or simply could not escape into the void in time when the Technocyte virus was released against the Sentients."

That's part of the entry for the Derelicts. So we can assume they had access to the virus during the war at least. 

It's always been my assumption that they made the Infestation as a bioweapon some time around when the Tenno rebelled (The rebellion that Stalker references in his Codex) and that the mix of three disasters - the Tenno rebelling, the Sentients attacking and the Infestation breaking quarantine - are what led to the fall of the Orokin.

It's always been my assumption that they made the Infestation as a bioweapon some time around when the Tenno rebelled (The rebellion that Stalker references in his Codex) and that the mix of three disasters - the Tenno rebelling, the Sentients attacking and the Infestation breaking quarantine - are what led to the fall of the Orokin.

I'd assume they had it before that. The passage makes reference to experimentation, that implies they didn't just find it and let it loose all at once. The tenno could have even been part of those experiments. 

Though yes, this is just speculation. 

After reading the comments I see the Tenno differently, they probably aren't infected with the Technocyte virus, or the mutated version of it because the infested's flesh isn't metallic. I think the Tenno are just a race that adopted the name because Hayden was the first to use a "Warframe". The difference is that Hayden's Proto Suit was just amplifying his powers while our Warframes give us powers. I think the frames are made out of the Technocyte, mainly cuz the components used to make it are Technocyte tumors. This explains why, even though we aren't part of the infest, why we're able to talk to the infest's hive mind and why it says we wear it's flesh. The Tenno are probably just a race of people that are able to use the Warframe, but why exactly there the only ones able to use it are on known, which makes me believe  that they are at least in some way connected to the infested. Same goes for Hayden (Excalibur) and the girl he liked (Mega mash-up of frames) are the only ones wearing the suits, because they're infected.

I'd assume they had it before that. The passage makes reference to experimentation, that implies they didn't just find it and let it loose all at once. The tenno could have even been part of those experiments. 

Though yes, this is just speculation. 

Kind of like Hayden being infected in Dark Sector.

After reading the comments I see the Tenno differently, they probably aren't infected with the Technocyte virus, or the mutated version of it because the infested's flesh isn't metallic.

...what? The Warframe itself isn't alive; there is a blood and flesh Tenno inside of it.

Sorry, that won't fly in the face of Stalker's Codex entry which gives us a relatively clear timeline as far as the Sentients/Orokin/Tenno are involved:

His Codex entry details the events at a victory ceremony (thrown by the Orokin Emperors honoring the Tenno as they returned victorious over the Sentients) which ironically ends with the Tenno striking down the Orokin Emperors; their Empire literally fell at the hands of the Tenno the very same day it was saved from destruction at the hands of the Sentients. The Tenno became the betrayers of the Orokin Empire during the very ceremony which hailed them as the saviors of it.

The Tenno single-handedly ended the Orokin Empire by striking down the Emperors; it was not a joint effort (intentional or accidental).

The Infested on the other hand is referenced by The Lotus to have been created specifically to fight in the "Old War". As we have no other wars to go by, odds are pretty high it means the Sentient vs. Orokin conflict. If the Infested were created to fight in it, it makes no sense for the Infested to have been created during the Tenno "betrayal" since that is what essentially puts an end to the Orokin timeline; the war has raged for probably quite a while at that point.

Edited by Brimir

Sorry, that won't fly in the face of Stalker's Codex entry which gives us a relatively clear timeline as far as the Sentients/Orokin/Tenno are involved:

His Codex entry details the events at a victory ceremony (thrown by the Orokin Emperors honoring the Tenno as they returned victorious over the Sentients) which ironically ends with the Tenno striking down the Orokin Emperors; their Empire literally fell at the hands of the Tenno the very same day it was saved from destruction at the hands of the Sentients. The Tenno became the betrayers of the Orokin Empire during the very ceremony which hailed them as the saviors of it.

The Tenno single-handedly ended the Orokin Empire by striking down the Emperors; it was not a joint effort (intentional or accidental).

The Infested on the other hand is referenced by The Lotus to have been created specifically to fight in the "Old War". As we have no other wars to go by, odds are pretty high it means the Sentient vs. Orokin conflict. If the Infested were created to fight in it, it makes no sense for the Infested to have been created during the Tenno "betrayal" since that is what essentially puts an end to the Orokin timeline; the war has raged for probably quite a while at that point.

It doesn't make any sense at all to say that the Sentients where defeated considering DE themselves is the source of the statements regarding the Orokin falling to the Sentients.

So the Tenno couldn't have finished off the Sentients. Perhaps we simply drove them back?

We were at a Victory ceremony that was likely held in celebration of the Tenno winning an important battle - I doubt the whole war. The Tenno took that time to strike out and kill the Orokin leadership. 

Though you are right. It's probably true that the Tenno, the Warframes and the Infestation were all create well before that.

It doesn't make any sense at all to say that the Sentients where defeated considering DE themselves is the source of the statements regarding the Orokin falling to the Sentients.

So the Tenno couldn't have finished off the Sentients. Perhaps we simply drove them back?

We were at a Victory ceremony that was likely held in celebration of the Tenno winning an important battle - I doubt the whole war. The Tenno took that time to strike out and kill the Orokin leadership. 

Though you are right. It's probably true that the Tenno, the Warframes and the Infestation were all create well before that.

It could've been a definitive victory without killing them all, sure. In fact, I'm hoping for it being the case because I'm rooting for the Sentients being the new enemy faction I hear whispers about.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm sure the Tenno underneath that fancy Warframe-suit is still a normal-looking humanoid that simply has supernatural powers.

I tend to go by the Codex-entry for Ember/Ember Prime as a reference. Those Orokin sent to investigate the ships they "lost" in the Void found what appeared to be children, just with supernatural abilities. This shouts "NOT infested".

Even though basically everything in this regard is still subject to future change, I'm sure that discussions about "shrouded mystery" of how Tenno look like without a Warframe and those discussions about Tenno being "pure energy beings that switch between Warframes at will" are just made up by those who completely ignored the few traces of "lore-facts" we have so far.

Tenno being like infested is just extremely hypothetical and by no means implied by the game. Lotus makes remarks about fighting Zanuka would be "as if you were fighting one of your own", if Tenno had something infested inside Lotus would make similar remarks when facing Lephantis or Phorid as well.

Edited by RedEyedRaven

As far as I'm concerned, I'm sure the Tenno underneath that fancy Warframe-suit is still a normal-looking humanoid that simply has supernatural powers.

I tend to go by the Codex-entry for Ember/Ember Prime as a reference. Those Orokin sent to investigate the ships they "lost" in the Void found what appeared to be children, just with supernatural abilities. This shouts "NOT infested".

Even though basically everything in this regard is still subject to future change, I'm sure that discussions about "shrouded mystery" of how Tenno look like without a Warframe and those discussions about Tenno being "pure energy beings that switch between Warframes at will" are just made up by those who completely ignored the few traces of "lore-facts" we have so far.

Tenno being like infested is just extremely hypothetical and by no means implied by the game. Lotus makes remarks about fighting Zanuka would be "as if you were fighting one of your own", if Tenno had something infested inside Lotus would make similar remarks when facing Lephantis or Phorid as well.

The infested have, in some ways, supernatural powers as well. The ancients have the ability to disrupt our energy, poison us, and heal it's allies. 

I have also seen them send out a wave of fire while in combat.

Edited by SuperMrSkully