Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Good Is Finishing Touch

Cynick

Question

15 answers to this question

Not very. The only weapon I can think it would be moderately good on is the Kogake because of their insane finisher damage and hit count, but because of how long the animation is, you end up doing less damage with that than with other mods. 

Ground finishers can be good if you have a weapon that can execute them quickly. Unfortunately there is no rhyme or reason to how fast finishers play out so you'll have to experiment.

Finishing Touch is garbage. It adds on to the existing (much larger) finisher damage bonus, rather than multiplying.  If you like the idea of huge damage hits in melee and you run with your melee weapon equipped as main weapon, take a look at Parry instead to expand your options. If you channel while blocking, Parry will make enemies stagger when they hit you and leave a brief window of opportunity to do an even more devastating counter attack.  If you don't run with your melee weapon equipped as main, just go for raw damage.

Several weapons have combos that end in Finishers as well. If you prefer a more offensive (and expensive option), Berserk and Fury on a melee weapon will let you go through melee combos very quickly to get to the delicious finisher at the end of these combos quite quickly. That amount of damage is absolutely not needed for most of the game, however, and is very niche very high level enemies and bosses.

Finishing Touch (the mod) is pretty sub-optimal. I would rather equip another elemental damage mod and increase all forms of my damage, than a single, context sensitive portion of my damage.  

Several weapons have combos that end in Finishers as well. If you prefer a more offensive (and expensive option), Berserk and Fury on a melee weapon will let you go through melee combos very quickly to get to the delicious finisher at the end of these combos quite quickly. That amount of damage is absolutely not needed for most of the game, however, and is very niche very high level enemies and bosses.

Finishing Touch (the mod) is pretty sub-optimal. I would rather equip another elemental damage mod and increase all forms of my damage, than a single, context sensitive portion of my damage.  

What combos exactly end in a finisher?

I don't know all of them; Breathless Lunge with the Nikana stance mods will definitely initiate a very high damage finisher. Coiling Impale from Crimson Dervish is another. Riding Current from Sundering Weave results in a knock-down that can be followed up with a ground finisher. There's likely more, but those are the ones that spring to mind from memory. 

I don't know all of them; Breathless Lunge with the Nikana stance mods will definitely initiate a very high damage finisher. Coiling Impale from Crimson Dervish is another. Riding Current from Sundering Weave results in a knock-down that can be followed up with a ground finisher. There's likely more, but those are the ones that spring to mind from memory. 

Are these actual finishers or just bigger strikes with special things? As far as I know no combo has finishers in them.

~reply

They are actual finishers. Breathless Lunge, for instance, will stagger the enemy and then the frontal nikana finisher will play out. For me this is usually around 10k damage applied for each strike of the finisher for a total of 20k. That is specifically how I solo higher level survival void missions when enemies start having ridiculous amounts of HP. If you haven't done absurd content like that then you probably wouldn't have noticed as melee weapons one-shot most enemies for quite some time. 

I know that Coiling Impale on the Crimson Dervish opens an Counter Finisher. There are others too on different combos, but I'm not gonna bother looking for them. Also, anything that knocks enemies to the ground can open up Ground Finishers.

Not very. The only weapon I can think it would be moderately good on is the Kogake because of their insane finisher damage and hit count

If anything, that makes it less effective on Kogake. High-damage-finisher weapons hardly benefit from Finishing Touch at all since they oneshot pretty much every enemy anyways.

OT:

I'd go for something else. Unless you're running an Ash who only attacks with Teleport+E combos (which, by the way, is not recommended. Depending on the melee weapon, that's roughly a measly one kill per three seconds at the best of times) or some gimmicky Finisher-centered build, you'd be better off adding an Elemental mod or something to the weapon. Your Finisher damage still gets a mild boost (and will generally one-shot everything anyways, including most Heavies), and all of your other attacks benefit as well.

If Finishing Touch stacks additively to base damage mods (Pressure Point, etc) rather than slapping a 1.6x multiplier onto the final finishing damage, then that's even worse-- an element will almost certainly be a direct upgrade.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. So basically, Finishing Touch is terrible, as expected. 

However, it seems like some people have had some success with applying finishing moves regularly by chaining combos into them which is interesting.