Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Question About Elemental Damage.

TallowKol

Question

Recently I started to get serious about using elemental mods, instead of the usual damage mods.

BQmmVOS.jpg

Looking at this picture, this is my Akmagnus.

I know status is the chance to proc.

But what is the chance that viral damage is going to be applied to a target? 

An example is : There is a 55% chance to proc, is viral damage 63% chance of the four procs to be applied on the target?

I feel like I am going at this the wrong way.

6 answers to this question

BQ256R3.jpg

Printout of estimates for current build shown.

It's hard to test due to the nature of RNG and lameness of recording every single proc you get in say, a 30 min run. But current concenses I believe is this:

At least half the procs have to come from physical IPS (when IPS dmg is present), only one proc can occur at a time per bullet/projectile, and the proc distribution depends on the contribution of each dmg type. The printout follows these rules.

edit: sor, quickly enter proc mods in wrong box. fixed printout. Since right now viral > physical dmg, essentially 1/2 the of the bullets that proc will be viral.

Edited by Quizel

I don't think anyone knows for sure how the game decides which one takes affect.  I have heard it is weighted by damage (more damage more likely) but I have also heard that it is split 50/50 between elemental and physical effects and then decided randomly, weighted by damage, from the types in that group.  The first option would make Viral your most common proc while the second would mean you'd get it slightly less often, 50% of procs, unless you add another element.

The status chance you see on the left is the chance that the effect of Impact, Slash, Puncture, Viral, etc etc will proc (they all have equal chance of proccing).  After that, if more than one effect procs, the higher damage will take priority.

Eh?  Not sure I understand.  AFAIK (as I understand it from the wiki, and please correct me if I'm wrong somebody, if you know) the elemental damage listed is there all the time (within a range obviously, same as the slash, etc.)

i.e. as soon as you put those elemental mods in, you get those amounts of extra damage from an elemental component added to the "normal" (e.g. slash) weapon damage for that weapon .  IOW, viral damage is just added to the standard slash (or whatever) damage for the weapon.  (Note that it's also visually represented - e.g. there are some fire-like effects from the bullets from a weapon with Heat elemental mod).

The "status" effect proc is a different thing altogether, that's a chance to have some extra trick over and above the damage - e.g. CC effects, debuffs, or extra AoE damage, or whatever (depending on the elemental type).

And it's not just the elemental damage types that have this chance to proc, the "standard" types of damage also have procs associated with them that depend on "status" chance (e.g. Slash has a chance for a bleed DoT, i.e. that's the status effect associated with Slash).

Here's the wiki:-

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Status_Effect

Edited by Omnimorph

Eh?  Not sure I understand.  AFAIK (as I understand it from the wiki, and please correct me if I'm wrong somebody, if you know) the elemental damage listed is there all the time (within a range obviously, same as the slash, etc.)

i.e. as soon as you put those elemental mods in, you get those amounts of extra damage from an elemental component added to the "normal" (e.g. slash) weapon damage for that weapon .  IOW, viral damage is just added to the standard slash (or whatever) damage for the weapon.  (Note that it's also visually represented - e.g. there are some fire-like effects from the bullets from a weapon with Heat elemental mod).

The "status" effect proc is a different thing altogether, that's a chance to have some extra trick over and above the damage - e.g. CC effects, debuffs, or extra AoE damage, or whatever (depending on the elemental type).

And it's not just the elemental damage types that have this chance to proc, the "standard" types of damage also have procs associated with them that depend on "status" chance (e.g. Slash has a chance for a bleed DoT, i.e. that's the status effect associated with Slash).

Here's the wiki:-

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Status_Effect

We're talking about the chance of the Proc effect (Viral's reduced health, Magnetic's reduced shields, Toxin's DoT on health, etc.)

The elemental damage will always be added to the damage done, yes.