Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Do People Find Survival Fun?

Xamuswing

I'm gonna be honest. I find survival the most boring and dull game type.

You do nothing but sit around firing at mindless drones until the operative finds a thing every few minutes and says "Stay longer, I may be useful in the next 15 minutes..." The difficulty of the mode is waiting when we get down to it. It's the equivalent of playing the game on Zen mode. You just play until you get bored and leave or until the going gets tough.

Once that is done, what happens? You do the same damn thing for 2 hours. It's the equivalent of watching paint dry till your able to touch it and move on too the next wall of paint.

And people design builds and whole gameplay styles around this bologna! Why would you when there are several other game modes that give you something to interact with, not just guys who give you a capsule. Invading ships, changing courses, stealing high value information and even people! But no, the only thing that matters is how long your can wait for some guy to finds something in a box somewhere you can't get to.

Some may justify the play with rewards. Rewards aren't the reason the game mode is fun. Your just sitting through it to get the rewards. What happens when you don't get it though? You feel like you got nowhere. You feel like there wasn't a point or you feel cheated for how long it took to get the stuff you never actually got.

Give me a good answer... How is any of that fun?

I'll at least give the devs something; Excavation is a good start to changing how Survival works. It gives at least some priority to the enemies so that you need to kill certain ones while making you actually pay attention to how the swarms are attacking your dig sites. It's a good mix between defense and assassination without being as much of a time waster. Still can be improved, but it's a good start as I said. It sure as heck a lot more interesting than killing drones for a solid 40 minutes.

Surv is one of the best game types ill tell you why. This is because no matter what loot you get it is continuous yes it can become a drag and the farther in you go the more rewarding it is. So having a big loot drop then any other game type is why it is more fun if someone wants to say nay well then good luck i love Surv and will play it any day especially since i have a Desacrate only Nekros who some say is trash but i will out survive and make who ever think twice when we havent touched Life Support for 20-30 mins some times so that is my reasoning lets see what anyone else has to say. 

First reply :P

Survival would be more fun without the LS system. 95% of the time I die on survivals because an infested kept smacking me while i activated it. Also would be better if more enemies spawned the farther you got, not just crank up their level and keep the same amount.

Edited by DarkTails

I play Survival because I like killing everything. I wish we had a true hoard/survival mode, no LS, no extractors, just a S#&$ ton of grunts running at us like chickens without their heads. 

killing things is fun. that's why survival mode is fun to a lot of people

You do nothing but sit around firing at mindless drones until the operative finds a thing every few minutes and says "Stay longer, I may be useful in the next 15 minutes..." The difficulty of the mode is waiting when we get down to it. It's the equivalent of playing the game on Zen mode. You just play until you get bored and leave or until the going gets tough.

Once that is done, what happens? You do the same damn thing for 2 hours. It's the equivalent of watching paint dry till your able to touch it and move on too the next wall of paint.

And people design builds and whole gameplay styles around this bologna! Why would you when there are several other game modes that give you something to interact with, not just guys who give you a capsule. Invading ships, changing courses, stealing high value information and even people! But no, the only thing that matters is how long your can wait for some guy to finds something in a box somewhere you can't get to.

Some may justify the play with rewards. Rewards aren't the reason the game mode is fun. Your just sitting through it to get the rewards. What happens when you don't get it though? You feel like you got nowhere. You feel like there wasn't a point or you feel cheated for how long it took to get the stuff you never actually got.

I'll at least give the devs something; Excavation is a good start to changing how Survival works. It gives at least some priority to the enemies so that you need to kill certain ones while making you actually pay attention to how the swarms are attacking your dig sites. It's a good mix between defense and assassination without being as much of a time waster. Still can be improved, but it's a good start as I said. It sure as heck a lot more interesting than killing drones for a solid 40 minutes.

LOOT

Would you rather have them bring back the Raid mission type? Where the only thing you have to do is get an item from a specific place and extract.  No enemy interaction like the life support they drop in survival, nothing to really defend like in defense and mobile defense, the item is in a single place and you only have to get one as opposed to capture's multiple targets that move and shoot. 

I could go on, but yeah, you get the jist of it.

I like survival because it is an investment. It's not running through killing 90ish enemies and then resetting. It's running through the map, learning what resources you have around and what can be spared, working with that and running amazing streaks of death bringing for upwards of an hour and a half.

That's what I find fun about it anyway. Same with defense, but I find defense to be a little annoying on a lot of maps at higher levels.

LOOT

it depends on the person, and mostly ppl do it for the rewards........DUH

Many of the people who have stuck around for the longest times (those disproportionately represented on the forums) mostly play the game for the in-game rewards, not because they actually have fun doing the actual playing. And for rewards, Survival is the best.

Personally, when survival works as intended (aka there are lots of enemies and Life Support only forces me to move around, not to worry about it) it can be fun. That doesn't always happen though.

The only reason Survival is so popular is because of the rewards.  No other gamemode is as efficient when it comes to rewards- you can be there upwards of an hour and only bring back one reward as opposed to keeping everything the reward spinner pulls up.  Thankfully DE seems to be getting around to balancing out the endless gamemodes and adding more.

I just like that the rewards stack in survival, as opposed to Defense and Interception - neither of which i find any less monotonous than survival. Indeed, I find defense to be the most monotonous since you just have to stand there the whole time and not even move as wave after mindless wave gets deployed. I do not mind playing defense every now and again, but I definitely am not one of those guys who does nothing but play ODD (which should be renamed ADD) all day, every day when bored, 

I use survivals for 1) resources, 2) testing builds  for weapons and frames, 3) ranking up everything there is in my  arsenal.

now 4 is the icing on the cake, watch all the speed runners ill equipped rushing to their doom, because they think they can outlast or speed past the flame eximuses or the hoardes of hp/shield drainers and the army of bleed proc plus the rollers... quite entertaining.

Survivals are a great time waster, good for exp, resources, loot due to their high spawn counts as time goes on. You wont be there for 3 or 4 minutes rushing through killing a small to medium number of enemies, you will often times come out having killed 5 exterminate invasions worth of enemies.

Back when Mimas was infested survival I used to always go there when I just wanted to kill things, as it often had grineer galleon tileset sweet spot rooms where I could just stand next to life support, put up a snowglobe, and then proceed to melee the F*** out of the infested as they came in huge swarms.

Dark Sector infested survival is just not the same, especially since they are taxed so heavily that it makes me not want to do them in the first place. On top of most of the time being locked up for 12 hours every time armistice ends.

I play Survival because I like killing everything. I wish we had a true hoard/survival mode, no LS, no extractors, just a S#&$ ton of grunts running at us like chickens without their heads. 

killing things is fun. that's why survival mode is fun to a lot of people

and this is the reason i play survivals :)

I do survivals for many reason such as: cumulative rewards, fun difficulty, build making, excuse to drink coffee, make my Loki feel a billion times more useful(loki for life), forma, and the best part......those "OMFG HOLY S#&$" moments. I love it when me and friends reach 40+min in T4 survival because hp/shields don't matter, we don't run them, and it relies more on skill, reactions, and weapon damage. I love being my sexy Loki running room to room just for my invis to run out mid air into t-bag distance of a heavy gunner and seeing myself trying to escape. Corpus Survivals are my favorite more so when its ice levels. Talk about challenge and fun.

Survivals are just a classic and are good all around. You need friends with you to have the best time because laughing at each other and trying to live as long as possible smashing those keys is just too much damn fun plus it gets to the point where enemies dont get any harder and its purely based on your ability to survive and proc corrosive(voids).  Also the fact that enemies come all over and I have the freedom to move around as I please is enjoyable.