Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Possible Skill Change In The Future

OcelotVampire

Ok so let me first say that all opinions in my post are purely speculation and are founded on nothing more then a brief mention of a possible change during the last dev stream (38) at about 17-18mins in. 

I'm guessing that in update16 or so all skill cards will be removed from the game and perhaps skills will become abilities that no longer require a slot to use, freeing up slots for other mods. Skills cards are already being removed for the drop table to ease this transition. If this happens what will happen to those that forma'd the = slots to other polarities to accommodate other mods? What I'm guessing they'll do is change all = slots on frames to nothing and those that forma'd these slots will retain their polarity.  

What's going to happen to all the skill cards we have sitting in our collections? My guess (and I hope they do this) is all common skill mods will become common cores, uncommon skills will become uncommon cores and rare skills will become rare cores. As for skills that we upgraded maybe we'll get a few more from it. In anycase we should have enough cores after the transition to last a life time. I know I would.

Would also be neat when ranking up a frame, skills will get stronger with the rank of the frame rather then having to upgrade the skill card. Or they can just be max level from the moment we get our frames. I doubt anyone would actually want to have a lower level skill when they can have a maxed level skill with no mod slot used for it. If some players do infact want a smaller snow globe for example they can use a corrupted mod to reduce the range.

Currently though, skill cards are kinda a waste of space and time. You either use a skill depending on if it's useful at the cost of a mod slot on your frame, or you don't. However, I always thought mod slots were there to modify something. Not to allow you to do what your frame should be able to do on it's own. Could you imagine if guns needed to waste a mod slot just to fire? I might actually use some of the less useful skills If they didn't take up precious mod slot real etate on our frames.

Some might not like the removal of skill cards as they like the current pick and choose style of making builds for our frames. That's all nice and I like that myself, but it would be nicer to have more space to pick more mods to bring. We still wouldn't be able to bring everything, as there are still plenty of warframe mods to choose from. They also need to update the UI so that when you equip a stretch mod for example, that it would show you which of your frames skills got a bonus from that mod.

I personally would like them to remove skill cards very much, but at the same time it would be nice if skill cards stayed and new versions of skill cards were introduced. Such as skill cards with bonus stats that applied to that skill only, or skill variants that do something completely different or add new trates to a skill. Like a snow globe skill variant that stays with the caster for example. I understand that there's about 80 skill variants that they would have to come up with, but it can be done.

Once again this is only my speculation and thoughts, nothing has been confirmed. Update 16 is a very long way away so we'll have to wait a long time to find out. Forgive me if my title misled anyone in any way.

Thanks for reading.

I believe they said something like : ability mods will be removed from droptables, with crafting a warframe you'll get one set of mod skills, if you want more you will have to craft another warframe or trade for it.

How are we supposed to do this for mirage or hydroid? RNG determines the latter while the former can only be obtained once via a quest

I believe they said something like : ability mods will be removed from droptables, with crafting a warframe you'll get one set of mod skills, if you want more you will have to craft another warframe or trade for it.

How are we supposed to do this for mirage or hydroid? RNG determines the latter while the former can only be obtained once via a quest

Don't ask me ;] IDK

Mods will be underclockable supposedly, and Steve hinted at not even needing ability mods anymore come U16.

Mods will be underclockable supposedly, and Steve hinted at not even needing ability mods anymore come U16.

So long as they keep the 10 mod slot total on warframes (not counting the aura slot) I'm fine with that changing.

• 2 weeks later...