Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Mission Type: Train Raid!

LAGpWND

What have always bugged me in Warframe is that all the missions types feel very static. You drop in ,kill stuff ,drop out. Nothing ever happens mid mission that would require us to change our play style or strategy ,nor are there any mission types which change up things a little (excluding Nightmare mode ,but that’s a poor example). On top of that the tile sets themselves have barely any moving objects or animated scenery ,which makes the world of Warframe feel  a little lifeless.

I was browsing the forums and few posters gave me an idea for new mission type: Train Raid! So ,general premise of this mission type would be like this:

You drop onto a MOVING train. You start at the last wagon and your goal is to stop the train/ hijack the cargo. You need to fight your way until the locomotive ,where you would access a terminal  to stop the train. During hacking the terminal would have to be defended. Or ,the goal would be to reach and destroy the engine ,which would be heavily fortified and defended by the enemy.

What makes this mission type so cool ,in my opinion , is that it’s so highly modable and could be easily updated/upgraded/changed in the future. Because of the mission structure plethora of crazy ideas could be implemented and mixed together. Here is why:

• Each wagon is a separate tile. Because we are talking about Warframe here, the wagons would be of gigantic proportions, so we would have enough space/room to move about.
  • Each wagon could have different type of hazards and would pose new surprises and challenges for the players. For example: we could have Open Deck sections ,where it would be difficult to move forward, but moving backwards would make us go with the wind and ,if not careful, players could be even blown away from the train! Radioactive cargo wagons, which would slowly drain Tenno health, so players would likely want to leave such compartments as fast as possible. ...And this is just from the top of my head, the possibilities here are endless!
  • To make things more interesting after clearing the first wagon , enemy reinforcements would start arriving, delivered by a drop ship. The mobs could spawn from all directions: they could jump down from the roof, jump inside through the windows etc. At some point the players could fight (and need to destroy) the drop ship itself!

At higher levels difficulty could also be easily added. A timer could be implemented: you need to stop the engine before the timer runs out. Or the longer you stay inside the train the higher level mobs will spawn etc.

The drop onto the train could be a halo jump, which would create a mini game at the start of the mission. While falling down we would have to aim for the train, avoiding AA fire at the same time. If a player misses the train... SPLAT! .. mission fail ..haha

Well, to me this mission type in Warframe would feel  like a wet dream. What do you guys think? Thumbs up if you like and/or support the idea. =D

the Only problem i have would be this

Radioactive cargo wagons, which would slowly drain Tenno health, so players would likely want to leave such compartments as fast as possible. ...And this is just from the top of my head.

(i like having time to explore & not rushing all the time, it could be a nightmare mode thing though!) other than that, add a train conductor as a mini-boss (for each faction) and i'll be satisfied :3

+1 sir!

Love the general framework of this idea.  This could be a very fun addition.  It would be awesome as well if there were overland sections where you could "cut the train off" and jump back on.  Rather than forcing everyone forward via radioactive cargo, perhaps each mission has a time limit that you extend by "slowing" the train, diverting it, what have you.

This strikes me as more of a rush-type mission because trains always have destinations.  Your goal as a Tenno is to stop things that aren't Tenno, and trains fit nicely into the category of things that are not Tenno.  I know a lot of people are vocally anti-rush, but allow me to add my voice to people who love sliding into finish just ahead of the timer.

Wouldn't it be cooler if the train cars were infinite, and with each car that is decoupled, the Tenno receive a new reward, but the enemies grow stronger and stronger?  Kind of like a defense meets cryotic event survival, only the map doesn't end when the defense object is destroyed, and there's no O2 supply to worry about, just legions of bad guys and something important that they drop?  

Since trains usually have destinations, it could be a matter of removing the endless portion, and instead racing a clock.  The more trains decoupled, the more rewards, and the better the rewards.  It takes 2 minutes to decouple a car (30 more seconds before it actually does) and Tenno can speed up the decoupling process by delivering power amplifiers (energy packs) to their decoupling device.  Likewise, the enemy can destroy the decoupling device, resetting progress.  The train will arrive at its destination in 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes, the Tenno are forced to extract within a minute or basically are forced to face off against a horde of unbeatable hostiles (levels 100+, well prepped in advance to take out a Tenno.)  There is also the option of early extraction in case things get too hot.

The good thing is that this can work out for both Grineer and Corpus, even on Jupiter.  A train needn't be located on tracks situated on the ground.

Heh  ,and I was wandering where is my thread. I see now that the Holy Moderators moved it here, to Fan Concepts.

Anyway, I’m glad that so many like and support this idea.  I think it’s safe to say that players would welcome with open arms some fresh experiences/missions in the game. I know that the Archwing is coming ,but I wouldn’t want DE to stop there.

Like I said, I think the beauty of the concept lies in how easy (figuratively speaking)  it could be adjusted and/or expanded upon depending on the players feedback. It reminds me of the “on the move” levels from the 8-bit games era. I have always liked those levels, which changed the dynamic of the game from time to time.

Sounds interesting, but with Archwing coming out the question must be asked when thinking about making mission types:

Why don't we just blow it up, or fly straight to the objective?

Because the objective area is heavily weaponized and flying in would turn us into piles of swiss cheese?

Make it a SPACE TRAIN. Some kind of interplanetary cargo convoy, each 'car' about as large as a Void defense/interception mission. Cars are linked to one another by magnetic couplings. Some cars are enclosed and have atmosphere, other cars are open to space (a big, open, modular framework that allows cargo to be loaded and unloaded in zero-G from any direction) where you have to kill enemies and take their life support pods to survive. As you progress forward, you can destroy the car's power generator, which activates a countdown before the magnetic couplings to the next car fail.

Mission types could include stealing particular cargo, "endless offense" style missions where the goal is to destroy as much of the train as possible, one car at a time; and maybe a hijack mission where you have to get to the locomotive without destroying too many cars so that you can run the train into something (a ship, maybe a solar rail—new Dark Sectors PvP type?) like a giant missile.

Random events could occur on a per-car basis:

:: The car you're in gets smacked by an asteroid, opening it to the vaccuum

:: Car has been infested

:: Another group of thieves are stealing something from that car

:: A friendly Red Veil cell is hitting that car and you have to help them escape

• 4 weeks later...

Well, with the Archwing reveal behind us I hope DE will take note and and will try to implement new game modes like this.

To me Archwing is disappointing. Not because of bugs ,but because of the game play style. And this is saying me - a space sim fan ,who played every single space sim game since Epic (anyone remembers this ancient game?).

C'mon DE we need some dynamics in our missions, something new and fresh.

What about the train being headed for a solar rail to a key point through space and you arching onto the back and try to fight your way to the front to stop it. If you fall off, your arching reattached and you have to board it again. The train would have to be moving almost as arching sprinting so you couldn't just fly to the front.