Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur And You: A Guide To Upcoming Changes

DE_Adam

Although it’s no secret that we’re currently in process of balancing each Warframe to a particular standard, Excalibur was not at the top of our priority.  The leak of our suggested tweak to Radial Blind understandably caused a bit of panic when taken out of context.  As a result we’ve decided to make Excalibur’s balance our foremost priority, both in how we implement any changes but also in how we communicate our intended tweaks with you all.

It’s unfortunate when our experimental changes enter the wild before we’re ready, but in this case it’s given us a great opportunity to pool community opinion and find out what you guys thought of when it came to making Excalibur more enjoyable to use.  We asked, you answered, and now we’re ready to talk about what we have in mind.

Radial Blind constantly blinding enemies through walls and around corners was not only unintentional, but it was also kind of strange.  It didn’t really fit with what we wanted Excalibur to be about, which is why we’ve taken the time to look at his retinue of abilities.  It’s not about making one power less fun to play, but making Excalibur a more well-rounded experience overall.  As discussed in Devstream 38, here’s where Excalibur’s abilities are currently heading:

Super Jump:  It’s still an amazingly high jump (some would say it goes super high) but as a bonus Super Jump will now add invisibility to Excalibur while in air.  Additionally Super Jump will cause a small radial stun to all enemies around Excalibur when performed, similar to the way Ash’s Smoke Screen works.

It’s our hope that this change to Super Jump will make it less of a situational ability to reach high places, but also a utility tool for tight corridors or enemy-dense melee situations that you may not want to Slash Dash through.

Radial Blind: No longer able to affect enemies in rooms separated by walls. To encourage and facilitate different gameplay styles (like stealth), enemies aware of Excalibur within a few seconds or enemies that Excalibur can see will also be affected.

Radial Javelin:  All enemies within radius of this ability will now be hit with a javelin.  Instead of having this ability radiate out from Excalibur, javelins will now spawn directly around opponents.  Javelins will optimize to find a point on each enemy that is safe to be hit, bypassing enemies that may be holding shields or otherwise in cover. There is also no longer a target maximum for this ultimate, meaning anyone in the radius will be an eligible target.

Additionally, if the javelin does not kill the enemy then each target that survives will be put into stun for a brief period of time.

Keep in mind that all of these abilities are still under review at this time, and further changes may occur during our ongoing development.  We currently have no ETA as to when these changes will go live, but we’ll of course keep you updated with further adjustments to Excalibur as we get closer to completing his update.

Being able to crowd control any amount of enemies, even for a short while, has proven to be a really valuable tool for Excalibur.  By opening his range of abilities to be a little more functional across all powers we’re certain that he’ll be a much more rewarding combatant against the enemies of the Lotus!

Hope he isn't too OP though, a lot of people tend to forget that he is meant to be a balance between mobility and defense, an introductory to Warframe powers rather thana Power Warframe

Let us see where this leads

edit; I made an unnecessary sarcastic statement previously that was misunderstood and taken seriously here, and as usual made a complete fool out of myself. Forgive me for this...

Edited by Somedude1000

Radial Javelin:  All enemies within radius of this ability will now be hit with a javelin.  Instead of having this ability radiate out from Excalibur, javelins will now spawn directly around opponents.  Javelins will optimize to find a point on each enemy that is safe to be hit, bypassing enemies that may be holding shields or otherwise in cover. There is also no longer a target maximum for this ultimate, meaning anyone in the radius will be an eligible target.

But still simple damage dealing? Meaning ultimate skill is bound to be semi-useless against powerful enemies?

Edited by AlienOvermind

I'm all up for this, especially the jump. That was the whole reason I used it, try to stun the enemies on the way down with Heavy Impact (which doesn't always work).

Looking forward to it.

Now only if Slash Dash would get a little bit of a conical effect when moving forward so if the target in your straight line moves, you'll get a little damage in still.

Well, here's an Excal player who removed the javelin from all his builds and eventually dropped Excalibur altogether because other than spamming radial blind, there wasn't much more to do.

Changes are exciting but I miss some improvements for the dash.

seems good but 3 quick questions:

1- 1 of the issues with the experimental leaked RB was that ennemies behind other ennemies weren't stunned, is this still on or not?

2- additions to super jump seem cool, but the invisibility keeps going after you get on the ground then? otherwise I fail to see the use in tight corridors

3- does slash dash stay yhe same? you didn't mention it

kudos on radial javelin changes, it will be most useful now

HOLY COW

YOU GUYS DIDN'T DESTROY HIS VIABILITY LIKE THE Q.Q-ERS THOUGHT, YOU MADE HIM THE BESHE COULD BE, the ultimate!

WHY AM I TYPING IN CAPS

Hope he isn't too OP though, a lot of people tend to forget that he is meant to be a balance between mobility and defense, an introductory to Warframe powers rather thana Power Warframe

lol look at you talking too soon and without actual experience of the change.

Radial Javelin.  You actually listened to what everyone has been suggesting for Exal's ultimate. <-- Awesomeness

Super Jump. Is actually a slightly viable move with this change, a nice escape move. But still seems useless off paper unless it's somehow abused.

Radial Blind. It's a fair compensation with Radial Javelin, but the move was only good BECAUSE it was able to work the way it did.

Overall, Excalibur is currently the weakest frame. Which is disapointing considering you could get Volt or Mag instead when startng the game, both of which play much better then Excalibur. Even with these changes, he's still underwhelming, a little more versitile, but underwhelming.

Add stun to Slash Dash, and give him better armor rating. And label him the Stun frame >.> at least then he has a purpose outside of "Beginner's frame."

Edited by (PS4)i_illusion

Well, here's an Excal player who removed the javelin from all his builds and eventually dropped Excalibur altogether because other than spamming radial blind, there wasn't much more to do.

Changes are exciting but I miss some improvements for the dash.

yes, i was just using excal for the blind. its just his only useful ability...

im wondering if they play this game with frames with people, it took them lots of update to even notice excals flaws. 

Please, don't forget to adjust Slash Dash. It needs to add to the melee combo counter and scale off of it. It also needs a higher chance to bleed. Not forced bleed, mind you, but an increased chance in the very least.

Adding that melee combo multiplier would make Slash Dash usable in late-game content.

Well, Radial Blind stuns. And blinds too. No point using Radial Javelin for the stun.

The advantage in Radial Javelin is that it hits all targets within its area of effect, is not blocked by cover, and can hit any number of targets within range.  While they both share similar features, in function there are unique advantages to both in terms of crowd control viability.

Radial Blind. It's a fair change with compensation with Radial Javelin, but the move was only good BECAUSE it was able to work the way it did.

my thoughts exactly, he isnt a damage frame, nor i would use him if he was, thats why messing with radial blind is quite destroying the frame.