Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur And You: A Guide To Upcoming Changes

DE_Adam

There are alot of illogic abilites in the Game. Just take Mirages Prism. It has the Same effect as Radial Blind when it explodes in the end and it will still go through walls. There is not one CC Abiltie that requieres LoS, except now Radial Blind from Excalibur because he was so OP before that everyone was using him and... Oh wait that wasn't excalibur.

Yup, I used to play exca, but after this RB nerf, it might not be the warrior i was looking for :/

spend 125p in the proto armor, cause i knew i played him everyday, after the RB nerf...

Still dont get why RB is been targeted for a nerf, the ability does zero damage and zero kills.

It was an untintentional change

No not the change itself, they were saying that Excalibur not having this in the first place was unintended. That him being able to stun a room away was not intended. Thats been that way for a long time. Why now? The change "Leaked" it was always intended to be reworked but why was this "bug", this blinding through walls never mentioned.

Yup, I used to play exca, but after this RB nerf, it might not be the warrior i was looking for :/

spend 125p in the proto armor, cause i knew i played him everyday, after the RB nerf...

Still dont get why RB is been targeted for a nerf, the ability does zero damage and zero kills.

Radial Blind literally eliminates all difficulity in a large radius if you mod it for duration and range. Trinity's blessing didn't do any damage or anything, but it was still reworked since it eliminated difficulity with endless invulnerability for the entire team with no drawbacks.

Edited by Zirion_Bk

No not the change itself, they were saying that Excalibur not having this in the first place was unintended. That him being able to stun a room away was not intended. Thats been that way for a long time. Why now? The change "Leaked" it was always intended to be reworked but why was this "bug", this blinding through walls never mentioned.

Sometimes things go unnoticed for a long time, or they're just so far down the priority list it takes ages to get around to them. It wasn't a gamebreaking crash bug so I imagine it wasn't realky a priority. Remember how they fixed the colors, after they had been bugged so long people didn't even know they were bugged?

My only worry is that Super Jump and Slash Dash will turn him into Zephyr with Smoke Screen.

Considering that Super Jump is not that high compared to Zephyr's Tail Whip, I've used the combo sometimes, its not much usefull, unless they make you Jump higher by default.

Radial Blind literally eliminates all difficulity in a large radius if you mod it for duration and range. Trinity's blessing didn't do any damage or anything, but it was still reworked since it eliminated difficulity with endless invulnerability for the entire team with no drawbacks.

Nice example... not, trinity got a nerf, so bad i dont see as many ppl playing with her no more.

she was fun and you could rely on her, now she is almost nothing, fun was removed.

So for me the same thing is happening to exca, because on trin they forgot she doesn't have any offensive abilities, so her nerf hit her pretty bad.

This makes me scare for loki and others frames based on utility abilities instead of damage abilities.

I was ok with all these nerfs and re-balances, back when nova was an abomination, now DE runs the risk of hurting the game very deeply if they keep doing this. Google the meaning or history of the word nerf, and see how bad these kinda things become.

Edited by 7grims

Sometimes things go unnoticed for a long time, or they're just so far down the priority list it takes ages to get around to them. It wasn't a gamebreaking crash bug so I imagine it wasn't really a priority. Remember how they fixed the colors, after they had been bugged so long people didn't even know they were bugged?

This is plausible but the probabillity of it seems  to drop off with each pass on the new player tutorials.

I think it may have remained this way for so long because people tended not to use Excalibur this much. Maybe with the difficulty of events as people cycled through frames to see which attacks worked more efficiently it gained some exposure.

Either way lets talk more about the changed. They feel uninspired. By which I mean they are not unique and seem to be "like another ability but more limited". The new jump seems to be "like smokescreen but only in the air". The new 4 skill seems "Like miasma but with less utility and elemental damage". The new sla- oh wait there's no changes to slash dash.

Excalibur had these same sort of issues with not having a skill that acts in a way unique to him and having staying power. Radial Blind was his only ability like this and now its going to loose effectiveness with none of his other skills picking up the slack of fitting into each other neatly.

-cough- ... Radial Disarm ... -cough-

and is permament, resolves all issues if You're not glued to the floor

I still find it odd that excal is turning invisible, also the only way to stealth in warframe reliably is if you use an invis warframe. The AI is wonky and I dont understand how their awareness works. That's beside the point though, what I am getting at is that excalibur shouldnt be having invisibility tacked onto him.

Radial javelin, excaliburs ultimate still doesn't shield lancers, such lol. Basically they will shield bash you once that animation is over.

While I have no suggestions myself on how to improve either power I have to say that they don't seem complete(which they clearly aren't I hope) and you shouldn't accept these as a good enough change.

I'm glad DE is trying to help Excalibur out, and I like the buffs to Javelin and Super Jump.

But like some people have said, I don't think that Super Jump is going to be that great in general, even with these changes. In fact, if DE does decide to do the general ability mods that all warframes can use, Super Jump should probably be turned into one (I think some people have already suggested that). Even with invisibility and stun, it's still going to be about mobility (especially when Excal has 2 other abilities that are probably better for getting stun out). Plus, it's typically only used with Heavy Impact (which is kind of a general ability mod anyhow), so I think it would be great if this ability was just replaced with something new altogether.

While I get that he's suppose to be a "balanced frame," he's also the mascot of the game, and he just isn't as fun to play with as a lot of the other frames are. And Rhino just completely outclasses him at this point if you want Excal's gimmick to be stun and his subpar stats across the board aren't balanced out by any utility (anymore).

I suggest that DE takes advantage of the name, "Excalibur" and let his melee give his abilities buffs. Then I think only him and Valkry are the only two Warframes that work that way, right?

But in Excalibur's case, slash dash, and radial javelin would both be boosted by melee mods and both could be affected by impact, slash and puncture mods, instead of just damage mods.

I'd rather see Super Jump get replaced with an ability that lets Excalibur switch between two melee weapons. You cast the ability, and he uses a different melee weapon until he casts it again, but his abilities (slash dash and radial javelin) are only buffed by the active melee weapon. I think that would be a really cool gimmick for a warframe named, "Excalibur." That's kind of a big change, but it's a pipe-dream if nothing else. :)

But really, anything other than Super Jump would be better. Clearly Excalibur needs more love in how his design and concept fit with his abilities. Look at how Mirage, Loki, Rhino, and Nekros have powers that relate back to their names. Super Jump is the "thing that is not like the others" as far as Excalibur's abilities go. It looks like it was a left over from early development, and it just isn't aging well with the game.

its was also voted that changes should be made to his slash dash, where are those?

i believe the talks were centered around the abilities damage scaling with melee dmg? 

I'd REALLY like to get more attention for this. If this ability scaled with your melee weapon it would remain a viable choice for a long time and would make him quite useful.

I'm very happy with this. As someone who thought Excal has been viable all along (hipster glasses activate) this is basically the cherry on the whipped cream on the gravy on the turkey that is Warframe.

Even if the only change was unlimited Radial Javelin targets I'd be happy. As for Slash Dash if you haven't modded full duration and dashed from Mercury to Pluto in one go you haven't lived. 

Partially disappointed with these changes.

Slash Dash - I hear crickets... What about this skill then? It needs some scalability (benefit from and towards melee combo, slash proc etc).

Radial Blind - I guess this is fine, was a tad OP before *shrugs*

Super Jump - Helpful additions, for sure, but the invisibility feels quite tacked on. Would've preferred if it actually LIFTED (ragdoll) enemies up with you (think like a circular rising slash or so), so you could combo it better with Slash Dash.

Radial Javelin - *sigh* Instead of making it more unique, you made it LESS unique than ever before, joining the ranks of Mag's Crush etc (and removing its, albeit niched, combo with Mag's Bullet Attractor). While, yes, it will be more practical, it is turned into another generic nuke ultimate. Very disappointing imo.

Here are some well-received ideas of mine. Mostly take notes on the Radial Javelin and Slash Dash suggestions.

I'm okay with most of these changes, although one of my personal concerns is that Slash Dash sounds like it's being unaffected by Excalibur's ability rework.

Some people have suggested some of the following:

- Slash Dash will always have a 100% slash proc.

- For every enemy hit, Slash Dash will add 1 combo to the melee combo counter.

- Slash Dash's damage will increase with the melee combo damage multiplier.

I'm certain that there are more ideas around the table, but is it possible we could see any of these ideas being implemented (or at least considered) in order to make Slash Dash's damage somewhat more viable? Right now (in my opinion) it seems that it has little use and is too similar to Rhino Charge.

Regardless, I'm excited to test out Excalibur after the originally mentioned ability changes.

Edited by ThaMega

Nice example... not, trinity got a nerf, so bad i dont see as many ppl playing with her no more.

she was fun and you could rely on her, now she is almost nothing, fun was removed.

So for me the same thing is happening to exca, because on trin they forgot she doesn't have any offensive abilities, so her nerf hit her pretty bad.

Invulnerability=fun? Even when all you did was press 4 with the occasional 2 more than a Nova? Okay.

Oh, and I feel like I need to point this out. Trinity was never meant to be a offensive frame, ever. She is a team player who relies on her team to deal damage for her while she corrects any mistakes made and keeps them charged with energy. She can still do that, but she can not turn off difficulity anymore without real good timing or a self-damage build.

While I love the idea of adding invisibility to Super Jump (It seems to harked back to Dark Sector where Hayden's Proto Excalibur could become invisible as one of his powers - though Hayden himself could not jump at all, much less Super Jump)...

I don't see much value in it overall (unless the invisibility is subject to power duration mods and so could potentially still last after Excal lands - but the wording of the post "while in the air" seems to suggest that it only applies until he lands). I mean: does anyone actually have a big problem of getting shot while jumping? Still seems pretty useless. 

If however, power duration mods could potentially confer even 10 seconds of invisibility using a max power duration build, I could see this power having some value...

Otherwise, maybe you could spam this ability as soon as you land in order to remain invisible -- at the cost of having to be continually bouncing around, which is not the most conducive to useful stealth. 

Edited by TennoSimons

But still simple damage dealing? Meaning ultimate skill is bound to be semi-useless against powerful enemies?

True. Excalibur uses Skanas for his abilities, so the damage should scale with his own melee weapon. For a matter of logic. And maybe, return to the past, when all melee animations were made with the player own melee weapon and not a standard Skana/Skana prime. 

Excalibur should be a balance between attack and mobility. He already has mobility and he will be more, what about damage now?

So wait, the logic of this re-adjustment is completely lost on me. It sounds like they're just nerfing his CC, and then turning two of his other skills into worse forms of CC.

Why is he invisible only while airborne? Why doesn't he just turn invisible on the ground? Maybe his suit is fueled by emotions, and he uses his deathly fear of heights to power the cloaking device. And why does he need to stagger enemies near him? It sounds like a worse version of Ash's Smoke Screen (Which in turn is a worse version of Loki's invisibility). And from the sound of it Radial Javelin is going to be exactly like the old Radial Blind minus any form of actual usefulness, since nobody with any sense is going to be spending 100 energy (25 with max efficiency) to push enemies off balance for a second.

What if...

Bear with me here,

What if slash dash had a charge function?

Like how Tigris had insane firing speed because of it's trigger, but with Slash Dash.

You'd tap it to do it quickly, and you could charge it for maximum damage potential.

Also the range, speed and damage would scale based on the melee type and stats.

It would be slow, but huge and strong with the Scindo: 

but small and light but quick (multiple hits?) with a dagger.

Speaking of daggers, Sheev needs a serious buff to attack speed.