Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Color Blind Changes: Lockers

[DE]Rebecca

There has long been a call for better color blind accessibility in Warframe, and dev is currently finalizing some prototypes for a particularly troubled area: Lockers.

The following depicts the treatment that Orokin lockers will be receiving to distinguish open and closed Lockers for our color blind players.

I approve! 

There has long been a call for better color blind accessibility in Warframe, and dev is currently finalizing some prototypes for a particularly troubled area: Lockers.

This is brilliant. Thank you very much, DE -- I'm not colorblind, but it's always great to see developers take an active interest in accessibility.

(Now, how about an option to disable screen shake, for people who suffer from simulation sickness? My wife also loves Warframe, and it would make her very happy...)

Could you also look up to reward deploying mechanism? When you stand too close to the locker it blows in your face, changing camera angle.

Annoying as hell.

Tested with Carrier sentinel. Grineer lockers usualy work well but Orokin ones are super nasty.

Please fix it :3

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/309504-bugged-camera-when-opening-lockers/#entry3505968

Edited by Sannidor

De, please improve color customization too

Its hard to see/select what color you are looking at unless you are playing on gigantic Tv or sitting right next to the screen

ex Try spotting which color am I browsing right now

4r6EXa0.jpg

Its this

LsOeFAo.png

Edited by (PS4)iBoiz

What's it like being colorblind?

That's the million pound question, isn't it?

Well, firstly, I suppose what's important to note is that the term itself is...somewhat over exaggerating. In fairness, most of us merely confuse colours as the cones for the rest we lack. I am a deuteronope: literally, I cannot see with the second cone. True Colour Blindness is Monochromacy, and it is extremely rare but in effect? That's Black and White and all the greys between and nothing else.

So, when someone says we're 'red/green' colour blind, like myself, it means we can mix these two up without a contrast option.

Personal example: I see Dark Blue and Purple as typically identical. If you were to show me an Amethyst crystal, I would not be able to physically describe it as anything other than Blue. The fact that Amethyst is actually purple is something that honestly baffles me.

So, what's that mean for engagement with the world at large?

Imagine that every cloud you see, gets a more dirty shade of pink as time goes by.

Imagine that a rainbow only has two colours, yellow, and blue.

Imagine that when you look at a wall, you can't tell for the life of you it's painted yellow or not, and instead find it green.

Imagine that when you see gold, it's more a washed out green.

This is, of course, my own personal experience of being colour blind. The intensity of the condition varies from person to person, and there are several types of colour blindness to bear in mind. I'm sure that if you really wanted to know more about it, there's plenty of research material on the internet, at your nearest optometrists and/or doctors' to discuss it. A good place to start would be here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness - Don't cite it on an essay, but it should lead you to some good foundations, and some good further reading. Pretty darned sure the rest of us here could be happy to explain the issue more as well.

----

In as far as the changes go, that is absolutely fantastic. Like everyone else, a bit of a clue for Corpus and Grineer lockers would be fantastic, and after that the main thing I think for 'standard gameplay' is general doors perhaps.

Otherwise...colour names/labels in the palettes. I'm colour blind, yeah, but darn it I'm a sucker for being ironic and colourful. My Saryn in particular looks quite good in Dark Blue (?) and Orange (~) I think. Go Infested/Fire palette!

Still, either way, Rebecca, thanks to you and the Devs. It'll help so much.

Thank you guys, really. *\ ^ ^ /*

For the Orokin lockers, just make it simple; Unlocked: Green light with vertical light down the body; Locked: Red light with no lights at all in the body

Frankly, the mock-up looks somewhat strange and out of place for the locked ones because a bunch of striped lights and one vertical light down the middle is just too much of a difference (like two different locker types instead of one locker that toggles between locked and unlocked)

Frankly, the mock-up looks somewhat strange and out of place for the locked ones because a bunch of striped lights and one vertical light down the middle is just too much of a difference (like two different locker types instead of one locker that toggles between locked and unlocked)

The stark difference is my favorite point about it.

For the Orokin lockers, just make it simple; Unlocked: Green light with vertical light down the body; Locked: Red light with no lights at all in the body

The thing you propose however in and of itself is a stark contrast though. To have something only light up on the main body when it's unlocked, and to have no indicator when locked, would be about the same practical effect. This is just an effort to be as obvious as possible; best symbols are ones you can't miss.

Still, this is simply a case of effective usage of symbols. The more starkly a pair of symbols contrast, the easier it is for all parties to know what's going on, with or without any colour affecting the ability to assess the information.

X

O

^ this is basically what one needs when making a simple answer for a problem. O is universally accepted as a good thing, we can proceed. X is everything from 'no entry' to 'invalid' to 'you must be this tall to enter', etc.

What these mock ups show is an obvious, stark contrast that will not only improve the time of colour blind folks like myself, but everyone else because hey, that stripe v stripes is really, really easy to tell the difference of.

The stark difference is my favorite point about it.

The thing you propose however in and of itself is a stark contrast though. To have something only light up on the main body when it's unlocked, and to have no indicator when locked, would be about the same practical effect. This is just an effort to be as obvious as possible; best symbols are ones you can't miss.

Still, this is simply a case of effective usage of symbols. The more starkly a pair of symbols contrast, the easier it is for all parties to know what's going on, with or without any colour affecting the ability to assess the information.

X

O

^ this is basically what one needs when making a simple answer for a problem. O is universally accepted as a good thing, we can proceed. X is everything from 'no entry' to 'invalid' to 'you must be this tall to enter', etc.

What these mock ups show is an obvious, stark contrast that will not only improve the time of colour blind folks like myself, but everyone else because hey, that stripe v stripes is really, really easy to tell the difference of.

You know what, I just realized why I didn't like the horizontal stripes. Looked at the mockups again and realized that there's no texture for the unlit horizontal lights; it's just a quick mockup so the lights don't have those grey unlit areas.

I liked the concept but apparently that was the one thing that bothered me. So if you updated the textures to include the unlit areas for both the horizontal and vertical lines, that'd be great.

Opened locker, at the top, could have the \ / stripes, but not have the -o- stripes highlighted for easier pattern recognition. Makes for a Y shape in open position.

Having all stripes possible highlighted sounds seductive as a concept (access all areas); on the other hand patterns seem somewhat easier and quicker to see in an environment with changing lighting and effects.

This gets the job done. No need to go overboard though. Love for colour-blind people is appreciated.