Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Own Review Of The Game

Draconzis

So ya, despite my better judgement, I decided to make a review of the game and post it on the forums. I will divide this review into three parts: Gameplay, Lore, and Other. My review does not praise the game as an idol. You have been warned. Also, I try to be unbiased, but of course I am only human.

Gameplay

The game puts on a twist to a shooter game, I will give it that. But of course, it has it's flaws. First off, it seems like it tries to get people to parkour, but fails to do so besides the occasional shortcut or wall climb. I find that most people just prefer to run, slide-jump, and coptor (Which I find is bad that it is such a big thing).

The combat is pretty decent. Not really a huge twist when it comes to straight up combat, but definitely not bad. Really, the worst thing about the combat is how most players get reduced to "spam # to win" in the late game. Even then it is not necessarily terrible.

PvP is not a large aspect of the game. If anything, it is somewhat neglected and seems like an afterthought. I have not had enough experience with PvP to go into detail, but from what I have seen I would put it at around decent at best.

Multiplier, when it is not bugging out, is pretty good. The only problem is that there is not much teamwork involved and more of each frame doing what it was built for.

Overall, I would put gameplay somewhere in between 8 and 8.5. Ya, lets go with an 8.5.

Lore

This seems to be that the game is trying to build itself on extensive lore. The only problem with that is that the lore is almost nonexistent. Don't give that "It is like Dark Souls where the lore is there, but is not handed to you!" crap, the devs themselves have admitted that the lore is crap at the moment. Although I can't really blame it as for the Lore is in development.

I'll go ahead and put dialogue under Lore as well, as for that is where a fourth of the lore comes from. To be honest, half of it is annoying or cheesy, a fourth of it is good or helpful, and the rest is meh.

Overall, I would put Lore at a 7. But that is only because it has the potential for good lore. They could go in and implement lore that is worse than not having any, so this can go up or down in the future.

Other

Pretty much everything else goes down here. Heck, I will even give it subcategories.

Bugs

Now, usually I do not include a "Bugs" section in my short reviews, but here is an exception. The thing with Warframe is that it is so bug-ridden! Sure, very few game breaking bugs, but there are just a lot of little ones. Crashes are all too common. Bug the biggest thing is how the multiplayer is buggy. I will be honest with you, no player should be required to do something "special" with their router or whatever it is in order to be able to play multiplayer normally, especially when almost all multiplayer games played before it did not have anything close to this problem. But this "Strict Nat" and the like is only about half the problem, with players getting DC'd, dropped from squads, and failing to connect is a common occurrence.

So I give the bugs a 5.5. Maybe just a 5. Na, 5.5. Really gets in the way.

Store

I will say this now, I absolutely despise micro-transactions. So my biased is most definitely going to show.

Micro-transactions in this game is not too bad I suppose, but still bad. Most cosmetics are required to be bought with plat, real money. The game encourages collecting frames and weapons, but you only have a very limited number of slots. How do you get more slots? More real money. I am a big collector when it comes to things like this, so this really was a slap in the face to me. Also, you can buy almost and weapon or frame (besides primes a few others) instantly using plat, as well as mod packs. I know this is an extremely unpopular opinion in the Warframe community, but I hate how players can just buy ahead.

Gonna put this is big bold letter so people will see. I am well aware that DE makes their money almost entirely on these micro-transactions. I am not suggesting an alternative to this, I am not encouraging the game to become P2P or to become a bought game. My opinion and criticism, I'm not deciding a better course of action, if there even is one.

Now that that review/criticism/rant hybrid is out of the way, I give the in game store and it's damned micro-transactions a 5. Yep, a very biased rating.

Player base and the Interaction with said player base

Player base is pretty average. Many fans of the game are very defensive about it, based on passed experience. Although that is a bad thing, it is a completely normal thing in games' communities. I have a feeling I will get a reminder of that seeing how I am posting a personal review of it.

DE's interaction with the player base is average for a non-major game company. Although I am annoyed how they give a name to their playerbase (Tenno), I cannot really say much negitive about them. I give these two subjects a 9. Best score so far.

The overall game rating I would give Warframe is somewhere between a 7 and 8. Maybe a 7.5. Na, lets go with a 7.75. That rating may look bad, but that is a rather decent number. Not one that praises the game, but does not insult it either.

That's it. inb4 rage storm, I would like to remind people that this is my opinion, and also that I am human. Please keep that in mind while commenting. Although I do expect to be insulted and mocked for little reason, that does not mean I enjoy it. 

One more thing, remember how I said that I "despite my better judgement, I decided to make a review of the game and post it on the forums" thing I said up top? I have been told by many reviews and critics not to post reviews on a game's own forum. I think you know the reason why.

Edited by Draconzis

If I had written this review, I'd have probably rated strictly the gunplay at around 7 or 8, while rating the gameplay overall at a 4 or 5. You can largely thank the farming/grinding for that, along with a myriad of balancing and general issues that are too many to list right now.

Lore I'd give a 3 as it has the baseline, but nothing substantial.

Store, I think a balance of earning warframe and weapon slots as well as buying more with money would be a good balance here, though they do have a lot of... oddly... priced items.

Playerbase/fanbase... *cringe*            I'll let that speak for itself.

I'd currently leave Warframe (in its current state) at a 5, 6 at best.

My review:

Gameplay: 9/10 - Reasoning? The number of weapon options available and the ability to customize them. People who believe there is only one cookie-cutter build are dead wrong. The best Tenno experiment and Warframe gives you a platform to do this. The combat is also engaging and fun, unless you're playing a Rhino and just pressing 4, in which case we'll all love you and leech exp off you <3

Lore: 0/10 - Reasoning? Never read any of it. I came to LEAD, not to READ

Bugs: 3/10 - Reasoning? They aren't game-breaking and I don't experience the minor ones.

Market: 10/10 - Reasoning? Perfectly allows me to profiteer. Profit numbs all feeling and I love my mega-mart :D

Playerbase: 9001/10 - Reasoning? Aside from the douches, some of them are the coolest people you'll ever meet. I love my clan, I love my alliance and I love my friends which I finally have :D

My review of your review:

While most of it is unbiased and of relatively high quality, there is something that I'd like to point out.

You didn't mention trading. I feel that, with the microtransaction-based payment system, trading should be mentioned as it allows players to earn platinum without spending any real-life currency.

Edited by fishworshipper

My review of your review:

While most of it is unbiased and of relatively high quality, there is something that I'd like to point out.

You didn't mention trading. I feel that, with the microtransaction-based payment system, trading should be mentioned as it allows players to earn platinum without spending any real-life currency.

True, trading would help the rating if I remembered it while writing the review, it would not help by much. Currently, trading is... less than desired to say the least. In my opinion, if they made a few other items tradable, such as forma, potatoes, or maybe even orokin cells, then it would be much better. If forma became tradable, that would be the main currency instead of plat. It would kind of be like keys and scrap from TF2. Orokin cells would be the same, but of a much small worth.