Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Only In Survival

ROSING

Hi guys,

so for the lols (and because I was really excited for it), I took my Nikana and exercised some Blind Justice on some Grineer.

I had a dread and akboltos, but I didn't really use them all that much (because I wanted to use the Nikana)

At some point, when things got hot, I switched to my dread and used it for a few seconds. But since there was ice and they were eating at my shields, I panicked and switched to sword alone again. And I found that I was doing much better with just sword alone.

Personally, since the infested got their drones and toxic crawlers are a melee hazard, and because the corpus are just the corpus, I feel Grineer are the most melee-friendly at the moment. But  does anyone else feel like melee is the better option for them in longer survivals? This is all opinion of course, but I'm curious as to how people Sword Alone.

My playing style mainly involves playing melee-only.

On PS4, its far more viable, and its pretty damn fun, not to mention badass running around, slicing and stabbing like a demon.

So far, the only weapons I've ever potato'd are melee weapons, I keep building Catalysts for my guns but I end u using them on my blades.

My playing style mainly involves playing melee-only.

On PS4, its far more viable, and its pretty damn fun, not to mention badass running around, slicing and stabbing like a demon.

So far, the only weapons I've ever potato'd are melee weapons, I keep building Catalysts for my guns but I end u using them on my blades.

Melee is more viable on ps4 as opposed to what?

i don't ever use only one option at any given point. i use my 3 Weapons, i use my Warframe, i use my Sentinel.

they compliment each other, using them all works better than only some.

if we presume you use your guns to take out Problem Enemies, then how you dispatch the Trash Units is up to you. they're trash, so anything kills them fairly easily. therefore, however you want is fine.

Melee is more viable on ps4 as opposed to what?

i'm going to sound like a jerk, but the only way that makes sense to me is if he's saying Melee is easier because you don't need to aim.

i don't know either.

-OP-

Melee does not exist in this game, in my opinion.

My sword is there to make me move faster.

I do not draw it unless I have magically become suicidal.

Things die when I click my mouse button and there is really no point is meleeing a level 70+ Grineer Bombard that is going to smack you into oblivion.

So no, I feel that melee is irrelevant everywhere and hence I treat it only as utility. i.e. Heals for Kubrow, Life Strike for some frames and Coptering.

P.S. The only melee users I've met have all rushed and died somewhere far away, leaving us ranged support to have to run over and pick them up. I usually don't bother unless its void though. If they want to die charging at an enemy that is shooting them, they are welcome to it. This game isn't final fantasy after all.

Edited by Semshol

i don't ever use only one option at any given point. i use my 3 Weapons, i use my Warframe, i use my Sentinel.

they compliment each other, using them all works better than only some.

if we presume you use your guns to take out Problem Enemies, then how you dispatch the Trash Units is up to you. they're trash, so anything kills them fairly easily. therefore, however you want is fine.

i'm going to sound like a jerk, but the only way that makes sense to me is if he's saying Melee is easier because you don't need to aim.

i don't know either.

But, its the same on PC? Im not understanding.

Melee does not exist in this game, in my opinion.

My sword is there to make me move faster.

I do not draw it unless I have magically become suicidal.

Things die when I click my mouse button and there is really no point is meleeing a level 70+ Grineer Bombard that is going to smack you into oblivion.

So no, I feel that melee is irrelevant everywhere and hence I treat it only as utility. i.e. Heals for Kubrow, Life Strike for some frames and Coptering.

Thats all you tho. Some people enjoy slicing down enemies with katanas or giant axes.

Thats all you tho. Some people enjoy slicing down enemies with katanas or giant axes.

They can enjoy it as much as they want...alone.

When playing in a team game, which requires cooperation, there is nothing worse than 'that melee guy' who is constantly rushing, dying and then saying: "lul res plz".

OP asked for opinion and that is what I gave. To me, there is no situation where melee is viable for high-end gameplay. Unless you're playing a perma-invis Ash or Loki. In which case you tend to only become relevant past 25 minutes, when the non-melee boltor primers stop being able to one-shot and start panicking.

I think why it's viable for me is because I use life strike when needed. It's exhilirating wading in their and slashing and losing and gaining health just as fast and ending up still alive almost at full health. In fact usually if I take damage, i switch to melee to get me some health.

*posts*

But surely, as a man (or woman) with Loki Prime as his avatar, you're aware of how devastating said frame can be utilizing melee combat? With an invis/disarm build and a pair of Dual Ichors I've not only managed to avoid being downed on things like T4 defences, I've killed more stuff than the guys with Pentas and Boltor Primes.

*EDIT* I'm not saying you're wrong by any means. Honestly I do think you have a point, but your point is more to do with the aptitude (or rather lack of) of melee-only players you've encountered, than the validity of melee itself. That's the way I see it anyway.

Edited by Dualice

at level 80+ enemies I was still getting 4-12k crits out of orthos prime and I have the screenies to upload on my steam library. just straight up slash damage quick melee no channeling for me, along with some ground slams with that beast.

Back before the release of melee 2.0 me and some buddies decided to try out a melee only T2 survival.

We made 45 minutes without too much trouble

Melee is good and has a place in this games, saying otherwise is just ignorant.

But then again you can play however you want.

They can enjoy it as much as they want...alone.

When playing in a team game, which requires cooperation, there is nothing worse than 'that melee guy' who is constantly rushing, dying and then saying: "lul res plz".

OP asked for opinion and that is what I gave. To me, there is no situation where melee is viable for high-end gameplay. Unless you're playing a perma-invis Ash or Loki. In which case you tend to only become relevant past 25 minutes, when the non-melee boltor primers stop being able to one-shot and start panicking.

because you've encountered bad players doesn't make melee a "utility" as you said. maybe you're just bad with melee if all you see melee good for is coptering. and of course people thinking boltor prime will carry them will panic cause they are used to an easy button. when it doesn't work they cry xp