Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Auto-Targeting

iSmallfry

I'm sure everyone is aware of the issues with the current melee auto-targeting.Assuming that everyone is,i'll keep this one short.Personally, I've never understood why there'd be a need to lock us in place to ensure that all our combos are able to land properly.Enemies do have collision, right?So, why not guide our attacks to a point where said collision applies,rather than placing an invisible wall in front of us that screws us over once the target moves backwards or when we use shorter melee weapons?That should be more than enough to ensure that even our leaping/jumping/dashing combos hit the enemy.

Edited by iSmallfry

• 1 month later...

I'm sure everyone is aware of the issues with the current melee auto-targeting. Assuming that everyone is, i'll keep this one short. Personally, I've never understood why there'd be a need to lock us in place to ensure that all our combos are able to land properly. Enemies do have collision, right? So, why not guide our attacks to a point where said collision applies, rather than placing an invisible wall in front of us that screws us over once the target moves backwards or when we use shorter melee weapons? That should be more than enough to ensure that even our leaping/jumping/dashing combos hit the enemy.

You need some spaces man, makes it hard to read!

On to your topic, I actually don't really know what you're talking about. I know Archwing auto targets melee attacks and springs you forward, but normal melee doesn't lock you in, unless you turn that option on in the Config settings, locking the camera to your melee target.

That would be horrible if you played that way. All control should be maintained during melee fights allowing you to switch between targets with ease, in order to manage 3-4 targets like I normally do. Having something that locks me in to a single target would be terrible. When the target moves, you move with it, that's how I do it now. With daggers and fist weapons usually.

Auto targetting melee, the only thing I'd like to see with that would be an auto target of the nearest enemy within a certain radius, after a wall attack is used. Because right now, wall attacks are just too durn hard to be worthwhile!

Edited by Janzer

You need some spaces man, makes it hard to read!

On to your topic, I actually don't really know what you're talking about. I know Archwing auto targets melee attacks and springs you forward, but normal melee doesn't lock you in, unless you turn that option on in the Config settings, locking the camera to your melee target.

That would be horrible if you played that way. All control should be maintained during melee fights allowing you to switch between targets with ease, in order to manage 3-4 targets like I normally do. Having something that locks me in to a single target would be terrible. When the target moves, you move with it, that's how I do it now. With daggers and fist weapons usually.

Auto targetting melee, the only thing I'd like to see with that would be an auto target of the nearest enemy within a certain radius, after a wall attack is used. Because right now, wall attacks are just too durn hard to be worthwhile!

Auto-melee targeting does not lock your camera.What it does, is tracking the enemy closest to you and guiding your attacks to that target.Depending on the weapon,stance or combo this function becomes absolutely necerssary to hit an enemy consistantly.As you might know, there are quite a number of flashy combos out there, that make your character jump all over the place and make you do crazy leaps and whatnot.Well, chances are those combos will either make you miss your target completely or make you leap past,through or over your target.That's where the melee-targeting comes into play.It kind of holds you in place right in front of the target.One Issue with how it works is that the distance that's held to the enemy is not dependant on the weapon you're using but rather a flat value.For example, let's say the auto-melee targeting will always guide you to a point 3m in front of your targeted enemy.All weapons shorther than 3m would be screwed.The other thing rendering this mechanic useless is how it holds you in place.It's like it's placing a wall in front of you and you can't move forward manually either,once it's locked you in place.This screws you over royally,once your target moves away from you.Also, certain leap attacks it prevents from leaping altogether.

The issue I commonly have with the auto-targeting is that I -miss- with it, especially with short weapons. The enemy can be standing right in front of me and I can swing wildly at them. Without a reach mod, I will miss a LOT because my character is incapable of taking that half step, that little modification of the stance or swing required to actually HIT THE TARGET.

We don't need full on arch-wing lunging at targets, we just need the Tenno to adapt better to enemy positioning.

Remember: You do not aim AT your target. You aim a few inches behind your target. We don't want to graze the enemy with our weapons, we want to drive our weapons home and hurt them.

The issue I commonly have with the auto-targeting is that I -miss- with it, especially with short weapons. The enemy can be standing right in front of me and I can swing wildly at them. Without a reach mod, I will miss a LOT because my character is incapable of taking that half step, that little modification of the stance or swing required to actually HIT THE TARGET.

We don't need full on arch-wing lunging at targets, we just need the Tenno to adapt better to enemy positioning.

Remember: You do not aim AT your target. You aim a few inches behind your target. We don't want to graze the enemy with our weapons, we want to drive our weapons home and hurt them.

^This,pretty much.

Some minor auto-targeting would be beneficial to the gameplay, but not by much. Whenever I get swarmed by the infested, I just spam E. I don't aim for my enemies, and I don't really move either. The "striking multiple targets with one swing" thing kind of reduces my need for auto targeting, but for the sake of the small weps...Plus, there's that cross hair there, wall run attacking and the forward jump dash can be indeed aimed for a target. If the target is moving, just predict where the target is going next and land there. Spin attacking also has a relatively large attack range as well as the fact that it deals higher damage than just normal swinging. Slam attacks just make killing enemies the easiest thing in the world. 

Now, with the issue with the melee range not being enough, just get closer. It's that simple. If you're close enough to take a swing at them, then you're close enough to get even closer so there'll be a higher chance, if not at 100% of hitting them. If you're worried about the melee combos for stance mods, then memorize the combos and don't do them. Though sometimes stance combos allow you to get away from enemies when you need to get away.

Some minor auto-targeting would be beneficial to the gameplay, but not by much. Whenever I get swarmed by the infested, I just spam E. I don't aim for my enemies, and I don't really move either. The "striking multiple targets with one swing" thing kind of reduces my need for auto targeting, but for the sake of the small weps...Plus, there's that cross hair there, wall run attacking and the forward jump dash can be indeed aimed for a target. If the target is moving, just predict where the target is going next and land there. Spin attacking also has a relatively large attack range as well as the fact that it deals higher damage than just normal swinging. Slam attacks just make killing enemies the easiest thing in the world. 

Now, with the issue with the melee range not being enough, just get closer. It's that simple. If you're close enough to take a swing at them, then you're close enough to get even closer so there'll be a higher chance, if not at 100% of hitting them. If you're worried about the melee combos for stance mods, then memorize the combos and don't do them. Though sometimes stance combos allow you to get away from enemies when you need to get away.

Well,this issue is not limited to just Infested,though.Against Corpus and Grineer you will often find yourself pummeling away at a single target.Especially, when you're trying to focus down certain units.Heavy units,for instance.This is especially true in higher level gameplay,where certain units are a genuine threat to you and can take a punch or two.It's not as easy as you make it out to be.Some attacks just can't be hit consistantly,without AI guidance.A perfect example would be Blind Justice's Heeding Call combo.Its secondlast attack is a ragdoll.Not a simple knockdown but an actual ragdoll.Enemies will be sent flying.Now the direction enemies will be sent flying is quite random and there's no way for you to predict where to aim your last strike.That said,The last attack of the combo is a giant leap attack.If the target happened to land somewhere near you,even if you do aim in the right direction,chances are you're going to leap over the enemy.That's where auto-targeting could save the day.It does not,though.The auto-targeting fails to track down the enemie's position properly and can't seem to tell the enemy was sent flying.It will hold you in place and prevent any forward movement.Let's be honest,"avoiding to execute certain combos" is no solution.Certain combos have amazing bonuses,as you probably know.Obviously, you would want to make use of all those extra damage multipliers and free status procs.

with many melee hits multiple targets, Auto-aim could cause some problem in case of what you trying to do.

Maybe on daggers, but forget about weapons like heavy melees. 

How would that cause any issues?It's not like you lose your AoE.All this is supposed to do is guide you to the enemy you intend to hit.Go for a mob in the middle of an army of Infested and you will still hit everyone around you.To be honest,you won't have all too much a problem using AoE melees,as is.This is mostly about trying to focus down a single opponent.

This issue has also recently reared its ugly head before me. Or at least it has always been there, I've just noticed it too much and too often.

Missing targets directly in front of me, getting locked in place and thus being damaged and hurt by enemies (which does not happen without the lockon nearly as much I might add), an inability to sometimes hit multiple targets with one swing [yes with those weapons that can], fleeing enemies having the nyx-like ability to confuse Tenno into hitting thin air.

This optional mechanic/ feature is in desperate need of a revision. 

Thought I'd bump the thread. :)