Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Computer Keeps Restarting

xkillo32

Question

this is happening for the first time for me and it occurred 6 times already

this happens when i am playing LoL and warframe( will probably happen while playing on other games too) when i play for about 10-15 minutes

i can leave my computer on for hours, but when i start playing the computer restarts after 10-15 minutes

first the monitor goes to sleep, then the computer restarts after ~10 seconds

i have tried to google it, but could not find a solution

help please?

EDIT: really want this fixed soon so I can get my tactical alerts badge upgrade

Edited by xkillo32

Well, you need to try a few things. Get Malwarebytes and do a full scan, it may find some things. Do a defrag and a cleanup on your computer as well to see if that might be the issue. If none of this works say so and I can offer other fixes.

Make sure the fan in your GPU or anything isn't broken. My friend had a similar problem with his computer and, as it turned out, his GPU fan was broken, So I crammed a large fan in the case and it fixed his issue right up. Your computer isn't getting really really loud or warm, is it? If it's a desktop, open the side of the case and take a look to see if the fans are operating correctly.

The monitor going out first before the restart and this only happening when playing games makes it sound like you've got a bad PSU, graphics card, or graphics card driver. Try updating your drivers, then if that doesn't work you'll want to run a benchmark/stressor for your graphics card (a bunch available online, some games have a benchmark test as well).

EDIT: Could also simply be overheating causing a failure. If the inside of your computer is dusty, I suggest taking a can of compressed air to it next time its turned off.

Edited by Elvang

The monitor going out first before the restart and this only happening when playing games makes it sound like you've got a bad PSU, graphics card, or graphics card driver. Try updating your drivers, then if that doesn't work you'll want to run a benchmark/stressor for your graphics card (a bunch available online, some games have a benchmark test as well).

EDIT: Could also simply be overheating causing a failure. If the inside of your computer is dusty, I suggest taking a can of compressed air to it next time its turned off.

so it happened again while i was doing the stress thing

so what do i have to do to solve this?

EDIT: it happened again, but this time i wasn't doing anything

i was just looking through forums

Edited by xkillo32

so it happened again while i was doing the stress thing

so what do i have to do to solve this?

EDIT: it happened again, but this time i wasn't doing anything

i was just looking through forums

with this preliminary information, it sounds like your Power Supply is near end of life.

or, the power it's getting from the wall is inconsistent and there's dips in service that result in the PSU not being able to convert enough power. (which isn't healthy for it if it's happening, but that's a different matter)

i'd use a multimeter (or a tool like a 'Kill-a-Watt' if you're uncomfortable using a Multimeter on live wires) to make sure the power you're pulling from is stable and isn't all over the place.

keeping an eye on it for a few hours should give a good sample size for data.

if your service is fine, then i'd check your PSU. you could use a Multimeter, easy peasy if your Motherboard is awesome and has Multimeter points.

elsewise, you'll need to read from the outputs themselves - i've never had a reason to do this though, so i couldn't tell you which connections will give the correct readouts.

reading voltages from software can be unreliable and give false information, which is why i didn't mention it. because it's hard to tell if it's accurate without using a Multimeter which would defeat the purpose of not needing to use one :p

Edited by taiiat

if your service is fine, then i'd check your PSU. you could use a Multimeter, easy peasy if your Motherboard is awesome and has Multimeter points.

elsewise, you'll need to read from the outputs themselves - i've never had a reason to do this though, so i couldn't tell you which connections will give the correct readouts.

reading voltages from software can be unreliable and give false information, which is why i didn't mention it. because it's hard to tell if it's accurate without using a Multimeter which would defeat the purpose of not needing to use one :p

Ooo...yeah, and if in addition, you have a spectrum/logic analyzer and oscilloscope, etc. and know what the outputs are supposed to be like, you can really get into the nitty gritty troubleshooting exactly where the problem is in the PSU, or whatever.

Ooo...yeah, and if in addition, you have a spectrum/logic analyzer and oscilloscope, etc. and know what the outputs are supposed to be like, you can really get into the nitty gritty troubleshooting exactly where the problem is in the PSU, or whatever.

and if you go that far you could buy replacement parts and fix it yourself, if it's out of Warranty.

Unfortunately, unless clearing out any dust fixes it or you have spare compatible parts laying around, it'll take longer to get it fixed than the event lasts in all likelihood.

:(

with this preliminary information, it sounds like your Power Supply is near end of life.

or, the power it's getting from the wall is inconsistent and there's dips in service that result in the PSU not being able to convert enough power. (which isn't healthy for it if it's happening, but that's a different matter)

i'd use a multimeter (or a tool like a 'Kill-a-Watt' if you're uncomfortable using a Multimeter on live wires) to make sure the power you're pulling from is stable and isn't all over the place.

keeping an eye on it for a few hours should give a good sample size for data.

so does this mean i need a new PSU?

so does this mean i need a new PSU?

no....

it means with what information we have, you need to check it. if it's outputting incorrect Voltages and Amperes, then you check inside the PSU(read footnote before you do that) to see if / what components are not functioning correctly.

after you check your electricity service, to ensure that it's correct.

if Electricity service isn't correct... my first guess would be if someone's like, running a Welder off of your service, stealing your Electricity, or other flows of Electricity that aren't normal.

if it is correct and the PSU isn't outputting correctly, then you need to decide if whatever components are functioning incorrectly are something you're up to fixing if it's out of Warranty. if it's in Warranty, and you know it's the PSU that's the problem, then you should be able to contact the Manufacturer and get a replacement.

it's simple work. a Soldering Iron, and Sodder that isn't crap. hopefully some that has a decent amount of Flux. the bargain bin stuff tries to have as little Flux as possible and that's terrible.

Yeah, I'm usually more into mindless consumption than fixing stuff. I'd rather spend the money and buy something new if it's out of warranty. Last time I fixed something was this TV my folks liked. The solder on the flyback kept sublimating, so it needed to be touched up every few years. Finally convinced them to dump that TV and get a new one though.

(And PSUs are cheap enough that getting a new one isn't a big deal.)

Edited by CedarDpg

Indeed it's either poor energy from the power suply or it's overheating.

I'm more inclined for overheating, open the side of your case and start the pc (without touching any components mind you), if it holds on, download tools to stress the gpu and cpu and tools to manage the temps.

For example i use hdmonitor to check temps, fan speeds and voltage and then i use ati tray tools to stress gpu and core damage to stress cpu.

If i notice the temps are getting to high, i can shut the program down and then check the problem afterwards.

If there is to much dust, power off the pc and clean it, if the fans don't spin then either clean the dust, if the fan won't spin at all then check the connections or buy a new fan, if everything is working fine but the temps are high then get another cooling solution like a new cooler or fans, just make sure you change what needs to be changed, if the problem is GPU overheating then changing the CPU cooler won't do much.

Edited by KIREEKPSO

Indeed it's either poor energy from the power suply or it's overheating.

I'm more inclined for overheating, open the side of your case and start the pc (without touching any components mind you), if it holds on, download tools to stress the gpu and cpu and tools to manage the temps.

For example i use hdmonitor to check temps, fan speeds and voltage and then i use ati tray tools to stress gpu and core damage to stress cpu.

If i notice the temps are getting to high, i can shut the program down and then check the problem afterwards.

If there is to much dust, power off the pc and clean it, if the fans don't spin then either clean the dust, if the fan won't spin at all then check the connections or buy a new fan, if everything is working fine but the temps are high then get a nother cooling solution like a new cooler or fans, just make sure you change what needs to be changed, if the problem is GPU overheating then changing the CPU cooler won't do much.

fans spinning and it's good

might be GPU

no....

it means with what information we have, you need to check it. if it's outputting incorrect Voltages and Amperes, then you check inside the PSU(read footnote before you do that) to see if / what components are not functioning correctly.

after you check your electricity service, to ensure that it's correct.

if Electricity service isn't correct... my first guess would be if someone's like, running a Welder off of your service, stealing your Electricity, or other flows of Electricity that aren't normal.

if it is correct and the PSU isn't outputting correctly, then you need to decide if whatever components are functioning incorrectly are something you're up to fixing if it's out of Warranty. if it's in Warranty, and you know it's the PSU that's the problem, then you should be able to contact the Manufacturer and get a replacement.

well i got this computer as a gift and im only 14 years old so idk how im gonna get a replacement

and i dont have a multimeter

I would check all the things everyone suggested ,however something I ran into before was a bad surge protector if you pc is plugged into one try plugging directly in the wall or separate power source. sounds like heat or your Psu but worth a try. good luck!

idk why but spinning my GPU fan while it was off apparantly kinda fixed it

haven't tried playing games yet, but atleast it hasn't restarted for a good 20 minutes or so

EDIT: trying right now

hopefully it won't restart before i get to 2k points

holy crap it's working LOL

EDIT again: it is probably cause my GPU is overheating cause it happened again and when i checked my GPU it was really hot

Edited by xkillo32

if it's the GPU is overheating, lemme guess... your Case doesn't have exceptionally good Airflow (which is probably the case if it was a gift). for setups with not particularly good Airflow, Blower style Coolers are hands down what to go with.

so it's probably an Air Cooler in a poor airflow setup. welcome to prebuilts :)

without replacing the GPU (you'd need to ship the GPU to someone the manufacturer considers certified in order to have the Heatsink changed on the GPU without losing Warranty), your best bet then is probably to see if there's room for more intake fans(absolutely focus on intake first, positive pressure is always better than negative pressure), and finding some affordable ones for that.

here's a couple that i've keep in a list because they're good fans.

personally, i recommend the Silenx one, as they should last an eternity and also be dead silent.
but the Cooler Master ones are pretty good for their dirt cheap cost.

Edit: those come in various Colors, so don't choose based on that.
Edited by taiiat

>Crashing shortly after starting games

Sounds like something's overheating in your rig. Crack 'er open, make sure the fans are spanning and not encrusted with filth.

encrusted with filth.

Computer filth is the worst kind... finely "grained" pieces of yourself... yuk.

As others have suggested, check that all your fans are blowin' properly, as overheating will cause the PC to shut itself off to prevent hardware damage caused by excessive heat.

Edited by Radford_343