Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Computer Keeps Restarting

xkillo32

Question

this is happening for the first time for me and it occurred 6 times already

this happens when i am playing LoL and warframe( will probably happen while playing on other games too) when i play for about 10-15 minutes

i can leave my computer on for hours, but when i start playing the computer restarts after 10-15 minutes

first the monitor goes to sleep, then the computer restarts after ~10 seconds

i have tried to google it, but could not find a solution

help please?

EDIT: really want this fixed soon so I can get my tactical alerts badge upgrade

Edited by xkillo32

idk why, but stopping my fan and letting it run again cools my GPU

could be cause the lubrication is dried up so when you re start the fan runs normal speed for a few and as it starts to build heat from spinning it slows back down from the resistance not that its the best solution take the side panel of and point a small house fan at it and see if it keeps running but if your desperate and don't have funds to fix it usually works. it will put dirt and dust in your case over time so not the best solution for long term.  

MSI afterburner will let you see what's going on with your gpu, fans, clock speeds, voltages for the card, gpu load, temps and some other tidbits, it's a handy tool. it can also be used to force the fan to 100% as well as some other tweaks. but used purely as an information tool it's very good.

why no one mentioned this, but in regards to voltages, most bios's will have a screen covering those that you can watch in more or less real time, and there is various diagnostic tools that can read mobo sensors for the same thing.

I don't think the GPU overheating would spontaneously reboot your PC.  Usually when it gets overheated the driver will fail and recover which will usually crash the game and bring you to desktop.  That being said, if you fix your fan/cooling issue and it goes away then great, easy fix.  If it doesn't, I would highly suspect the Power Supply as that will definitely cause you to restart if the voltages spike or dip too much due to fauly parts in it.  I had this issue not a month ago and that was my issue.  New PSU and all is solid once again.

I don't think the GPU overheating would spontaneously reboot your PC.  Usually when it gets overheated the driver will fail and recover which will usually crash the game and bring you to desktop.  That being said, if you fix your fan/cooling issue and it goes away then great, easy fix.  If it doesn't, I would highly suspect the Power Supply as that will definitely cause you to restart if the voltages spike or dip too much due to fauly parts in it.  I had this issue not a month ago and that was my issue.  New PSU and all is solid once again.

it will shut it down, as will any component that has temp sensors in modern PC's. they report to windows if windows detects that there is something outside of temp range *poof* instant shutdown, more sophisticated bios's can also shutdown the system if something is detected out of range. old, and i mean very old pc's may not which is why that shutdown was implemented, to save hardware from getting fried which did happen on older systems.

xkillo's system is rather difficult to diagnose because it could be a couple different things. gpu over heating, weak or failing PSU this can cause a shutdown if the PSU has a failsafe and/or mobo/windows detect out of range voltage variances caused by the sudden load of gpu going to full power, that may not be instant as components within the PSU heat up, increasing resistance then shutdown.  

if it's windows doing it there may be an event log entry (system), if the bios/psu is doing it there will be nothing except an event log entry stating that windows unexpectedly shutdown.

Edited by DeadX65