Terrible Performance On My Pc..but Only With Warframe

ukhooligan

Question

OK the tech stuff

quad 2.8ghz cpu

8gb g-skill ddr2 ram

2gig 7870 gfx card

asus p5q pro motherboard

Im hardly touching warframe atm cause the fps goes from a steady 60 to 30.Cant even play a game with a mirage cause fps goes from 40-20.

Ive tried different gfx drivers,even reinstalled the whole computer and only had the farm installed and still getting crap performance.Even changing the settings does nothing...

Its been like this for ages and at first I though it was my PC and was living with it till I upgrade.But lately Ive bought some new games (mordor and alien isolation)and both games run at a constant 60 fps on highest/ultra settings.Ok this might not mean so much for isloation,but mordor is a busy game with lots of enemies on screen and lots of nice visuals with loads going on.Also titanfall runs at a steady 60fps on max settings.

I dunno why Im posting cause (I think)Ive tried everything,but since playing all these latest games and thinking they were not gonna work that great cause of the way warfarm performs,only too find they do and work really well is kinda bugging the crap outta me.Whats so special about the farm??

For some strange reason it just seems like warfarm doesnt like my set-up.Ive talked to other players who have worse set-ups than me but are getting no problems...Im lost!

19 answers to this question

sorry,forget about the mirage comment,this happens all the time no matter what the frame.It just gets worse with mirage.

It gets worse the more enemies are on the screen,but I refuse to believe this has to do with my set-up.Well I used to think it was my set-up,but after my recent experiences with much newer,heavier spec games this is pointing to something else.

Min specs from DE for the farm:

Intel core 2 duo
2gb ram

ati radeon 3600

(basically not a lot)

min specs for mordor:

intel core i5-570

3gb ram

radeon 5850

so what am I missing here,is there an elephant in the room i cant see ;)

Im gutted tbh,all I used too play was warframe with mates,but now I cant face going back too the 30 fps slideshow after seeing how great everything else works :(

Edited by ukhooligan

Cheers Rydian and Bazools!!

Just asked some mates how they play on lesser spec PC's and they turn off local reflections,AA,bloom and character shadows.So I tried that and still the excat same fps drops.Like Ive turned nothing off ,the game just gives me the virtual finger!!

And the guys I asked couldnt even dream of playing games like mordor,titanfall on their systems but I can.....

Something I suggest you to do is download a program called "CCleaner". It's a pay-to-use program, but you can use it for free for 30 days with all functions. Basically, it lets you check and fix all registry issues and delete unneeded extensions (for example, when you uninstall programs some files are left over, even though you don't need them. When I first got this program my laptop was dying - I made this program check for such files and it deleted 21 GIGABYTE OF USELESS FILES, LEFT-OVERS AND OTHER SHIZZ. Since then I bought this program and I run scans for both unneeded files and registry issues every night and my laptop works wonder with it).

That, also try turning up Warframe's priority over other programs on your PC unless you're running something else in the background like music.

You can do that by:

1. Right click on your toolbar on the bottom and choose "Task Manager".

2. Go to "Details" tab.

3. Find "Warframe.exe, right-click on it, hover over "Set priority" and choose "High". (You can choose "Realtime" for better performance, but if for example a virus invades your PC while Warframe is running and your antivirus detects it, it won't be able to do anything until Warframe is closed, and that means the virus could delete Warframe while it is open and makes your Windows collapse on itself. So I HIGHLY SUGGEST you don't do that.)

Hello,

Could you open task manager and select the "performance" tab and play some warframe with it open in the background? It will display the amount of load every core is under while you play. If you could tell us how much load they have on average it could help me narrow down the issue.

Your CPU is very old and outdated, I suspect it is the cause.

(Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550 (12M Cache, 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) <- Is this your CPU?

Edited by Radford_343

If your CPU is the bottleneck in warframe as I suspect, actually turning UP the settings in-game could help the poor performance.

I've done some digging, and some people claim that if you have a CPU bottleneck (a situation where the CPU is holding your GPU from performing as well as it can) but have a powerful GPU, bumping up the settings in a game will trick the system into relying more on the GPU to get the job done.

I haven't tried this myself, but it sounds like a plausible explanation as to why Titanfall and Shadow of Mordor seems to run smoothly on your system as opposed to Warframe as these titles are more grapahically intensive by default. Not saying Warframe isn't a system hog, dem late waves in endless missions are a system killer.

Reference: http://abundantcores.blogspot.no/p/a-cpu-can-bottleneck-and-gpu-in-gaming.html

Edited by Radford_343

The problem is you're running a 7-8 year old CPU. I'm betting it's the Q6600 C2D quad core or something similar.

This CPU was a damned good one in its day, but it's 4 generations out of date. This matters. A lot. It's bottlenecking an otherwise potent GPU.

You could OC heavily and probably improve your performance significantly. The Q6600 was a very good OC'ing CPU. Still, the fundamental problem is it's old and obsolete.

As an illustration of how obsolete, I'm running a i5 2500K (two generations newer than your chip, but hardly new) and a 580GTX GPU (roughly equivalent to your GPU) at 2560x1600 and I generally run at 60fps with occasional dips to the 40s when things get really hectic. I run maxed settings, but with reflections turned off (they're brutal) and AA turned off (don't need it at that resolution). The CPU does make that great of a difference.

Your best bet--and you will have to do this eventually anyway--is upgrade the mobo and CPU to the Haswell generation of CPU. This is PC gaming and ultimately it's upgrade or die.

Hello,

Could you open task manager and select the "performance" tab and play some warframe with it open in the background? It will display the amount of load every core is under while you play. If you could tell us how much load they have on average it could help me narrow down the issue.

Your CPU is very old and outdated, I suspect it is the cause.

(Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550 (12M Cache, 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) <- Is this your CPU?

yea thats my CPU old I know and was gonna update soon,but like I said I can play all the latest games near on maxed the farm aint that good too warrant 300 quid for a new CPU.

My CPU is averaging about 60% when Im playing,when I play mordor(yea I keep banging on about mordor but tbh Im still in shock how well it works on my comp) CPU load is about 80-90%,and smooth as butter 60fps.

Just tried the farm again on dx9,no reflections,no bloom,basically no effects and still getting drops(well not drops)mainly stuck on 30-40fps.

If your CPU is the bottleneck in warframe as I suspect, actually turning UP the settings in-game could help the poor performance.

I've done some digging, and some people claim that if you have a CPU bottleneck (a situation where the CPU is holding your GPU from performing as well as it can) but have a powerful GPU, bumping up the settings in a game will trick the system into relying more on the GPU to get the job done.

I haven't tried this myself, but it sounds like a plausible explanation as to why Titanfall and Shadow of Mordor seems to run smoothly on your system as opposed to Warframe as these titles are more grapahically intensive by default. Not saying Warframe isn't a system hog, dem late waves in endless missions are a system killer.

Reference: http://abundantcores.blogspot.no/p/a-cpu-can-bottleneck-and-gpu-in-gaming.html

Cheers buddy.

Yea thats what Ive been finding as well,makes no sense what so ever tho.And my main game is warfarm.Lived with the low FPS till I played other stuff,now I cant stand the petrformance of it.

Tried running in DX9?

yes cheers mate no change still drops to 30 fps

The problem is you're running a 7-8 year old CPU. I'm betting it's the Q6600 C2D quad core or something similar.

This CPU was a damned good one in its day, but it's 4 generations out of date. This matters. A lot. It's bottlenecking an otherwise potent GPU.

You could OC heavily and probably improve your performance significantly. The Q6600 was a very good OC'ing CPU. Still, the fundamental problem is it's old and obsolete.

As an illustration of how obsolete, I'm running a i5 2500K (two generations newer than your chip, but hardly new) and a 580GTX GPU (roughly equivalent to your GPU) at 2560x1600 and I generally run at 60fps with occasional dips to the 40s when things get really hectic. I run maxed settings, but with reflections turned off (they're brutal) and AA turned off (don't need it at that resolution). The CPU does make that great of a difference.

Your best bet--and you will have to do this eventually anyway--is upgrade the mobo and CPU to the Haswell generation of CPU. This is PC gaming and ultimately it's upgrade or die.

Yea I know been looking at upgrading for a while,but upgrading for the sake of one game...I dunno yet.

But OC'ing might be something Im intrested in,but Ive always been wary of even attempting it.Any sites with easy too follow instructions you or anyone else would recommend.

Cheers!

I play with a weaker CPU, same RAM, and a single HD 5770, but I don't have issues with Mirage.  So I agree with the OP, there's gotta' be some config or compatibility issue.

Anyways, try turning reflections off, and try DX9 mode.

Gotta ask,what settings do you run on??

Gotta ask,what settings do you run on??

Depends on if I'm recording or playing for fun, but with these settings at least I do not get a framerate drop when I'm playing as mirage and use the first skill, nor when others do.

settings.png

For general performance, tessalation, reflections, and DX10/11 might be causing it.  For Mirage issues, it might be particle quality or something else.