Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Legitimate Concern Regarding The Market Place.(Scaring New Players Off.)

grillv20

Now, imagine that you're new to warframe and you decide to go take a look at the market place. First thing you're going to notice most likely is that 90% of the items listed there can only be bought with plat. If you're a new player and you see this you're probably going to say "oh wow this game is pay to win." If you're me anyways, that would be my response. I have had several different RL friends say this to me and I had to specifically tell them that there are things there that they can buy with credits. Their responses are usually "why would they put that in their cash shop then?" Pretty legitimate complaint right?

It would also help if there was some sort of tool-tip put into this cash shop that let newer players know that everything listed there can be acquired outside the cash shop. It really doesn't help sell a game as "free" when new players are staring at all this crap that they can purchase with real life money literally before they're even out of the tutorial without any explanation that its OPTIONAL. 

For a person in their first few hours of Warframe this can be a huge deal. Nobody wants to download a game and have real life money transactions shoved down their throat right out of the gate. Especially when the game is marketing itself as a free to play game. 

There clearly NEEDS to be some sort of separation between the platinum shop and the credits shop side of the game for this specific reason. Or at least force players new players to read or listen to a whole thing about how to acquire new weapons and crap. Some sort of tutorial or something to educate new players that their game is in fact not a wallet warrior game and that they can go out and get all of these things for free with a little time and effort. 

The point of this thread is that the market needs to appeal to new players, not scare them away. Maybe they should introduce some sort of quest that points new players towards items that they can go farm rather than just purchasing them with platinum.

Do not discuss whether the game is pay to win or not. The game is not pay to win and arguing about this seriously derails the thread. 

Edited by grillv20

Ye this has been a problem for a very long time, back when I first made my account when open beta started I thought the same thing and that was when there was maybe 20+ total weapons listed. 

I reckon the new player problem will be solved a lot easier if the Ui told them these thing better. 

DE definitely needs to make it clear that plat is very optional. 

The confusion that you need plat to get most of the weapons etc in the game is a common misconception I see.

Its a common thing to see threads by new players complaining about a whole lot of things (not just the plat issue) and selling WF short before they've really begun. Then all the vets have to go explain the issue and have a hard time convincing some new players that plat is not needed.

Some more clarity is definitely a must.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

What new people don't seem to understand though is that the these seemingly good weapons mean nothing if they don't have the mods for it.  One of the biggest problems with the tutorial and new player "experience" is that the modding system is not as clear as it could be.  I don't know how many times i've seen newer players try to go for long Defense/Survivals or Tower runs with lvl 30 gear. Lvl 30 gear means nothing if you don't have the mods to bring the weapon/frame to its capacity.  The ONLY way to get such ranked up mods is though trading; doing so you'd still have to cough up at least 1000 plat for whats required.

Warframe is not play to win.   

The ONLY way to get such ranked up mods is though trading; doing so you'd still have to cough up at least 1000 plat for whats required.  

Or you could just rank them up yourself.

Anyways, what if they made a "noob tab" for the market? Put all the credit items there, and a text box that tells them to go buy blueprints. 

I empathize with new players but sometimes they make me shake my head in disbelief. A lot of the information is right in front of their noses.

Sure some things aren't that clear and you have to do a little bit of digging and at the worst, look at the wiki. The problem is many new players are so quick to jump to conclusions and refuse to investigate even a little bit before making an angry thread and bailing. You only need to explore the market and other systems for a minute or two before you realise plat isn't essential. I guess patients and good old fashion information gathering isn't a common thing these days.

Didn't have no fancy tutorials and nice little tool tips in the modding screen when I started playing.

It was literally "Sup, you're a space ninja. Heres a gun and a nifty sword. Now go kill bad guys. What are mods you ask? I dunno. What am I, your mother?"

The level of hand holding required sometimes is a bit extreme.

I empathize with new players but sometimes they make me shake my head in disbelief. A lot of the information is right in front of their noses.

Sure some things aren't that clear and you have to do a little bit of digging and at the worst, look at the wiki. The problem is many new players are so quick to jump to conclusions and refuse to investigate even a little bit before making an angry thread and bailing. You only need to explore the market and other systems for a minute or two before you realise plat isn't essential. I guess patients and good old fashion information gathering isn't a common thing these days.

Didn't have no fancy tutorials and nice little tool tips in the modding screen when I started playing.

It was literally "Sup, you're a space ninja. Heres a gun and a nifty sword. Now go kill bad guys. What are mods you ask? I dunno. What am I, your mother?"

The have stopped explaining things , is there anyway for new player to know about dragon keys?   or what Nm mode is/gives ?  the player experience is such a vertical wall  atm  

and Arcane helms - being such game changer that one could argue that they are needed , and those are a plat buy from vet players well i wouldn't recommend this game to  a friend  in it's current state it requires soo much explaining

and having player - become guides of the Lotus - just seems lazy , and DE leaning   too hard on it's player base . 

The have stopped explaining things , is there anyway for new player to know about dragon keys?   or what Nm mode is/gives ?  the player experience is such a vertical wall  atm  

and Arcane helms - being such game changer that one could argue that they are needed , and those are a plat buy from vet players well i wouldn't recommend this game to  a friend  in it's current state it requires soo much explaining

and having player - become guides of the Lotus - just seems lazy , and DE leaning   too hard on it's player base . 

This, and they only keep stuffing the game with more and more content with each update. Sure, they always tell you how to get into said content when its released on the website but there are no telling how many people out there that don't do go to the site or go online and look up information. What I a lot of people fail to realize I think is that the first few moments in a game like this is literally make or break. A lot of people will form their opinions on a game early on and decide whether or not its worth their time. If somebody is not impressed by the game then its highly unlikely that they will ever try to mess with it again. There are simply too many games out there to be having miss-steps like this. Hand holding is GOOD when you're introducing new people to a game. It gives them hope and shows them what all is out there for them to do. 

The tutorial was a good start and I'm glad that they went ahead and did that but stuff like is just not a good way to pull people into your game. There should definitely be a very visible division of the credits and platinum purchases within the store. That or just separate the currency items entirely so new players don't feel like DE is trying to rip their wallets out of their hands before they have even got out of the tutorial. 

I'm sure people out there have played f2p games before where they have the annoying little "cash shop" button on their screen to constantly remind them that they're playing a ingame money transaction game. Its a great way to break the immersion of it all if you ask me -_- when I get into a game I don't want to be reminded that I can throw money at it to get things constantly.

I am in no way shape or form against DE trying to make money because the devs gotta eat somehow and if that means the company can grow too then thats fine. As it stands the game really isn't pay to win but to new players this can be confusing.

Edited by grillv20

Maybe an added description - when you click on the item and when the detail screen comes up to allow you to purchase, it should include a small description like, "Blueprint available in Dojo (Market/Void ect.)". Should be some easy tweaks for DE, I believe.

You are new player, you see a free2play game, you arent willing to spend 100$ outright so what is your biggest concern??

Is this game pay2win.

So they go in game, login, complete 1st mission, go into market, everything plat.

Many just wait for such sign to prove their concerns right, soon after that they quit.

I would probably do the same, but back in u6 many of weapons which are now craftable were available for credits and after you got few nice weapons you quickly understood that you can craft some stuff.

Now youre immidiately bombarded with plat purchases, some of the stuff in market doesnt even have a bp which arent helping uninformed players.

Some simple info would be nice.

Making the "Blueprint" tabs larger would be an easy fix. As it stands the platinum section is the largest window which will draw the most attention by default. Making the "Blueprints" section bigger would draw more attention to it, and by extension show which weapons are free to build.

Perhaps hiding mastery locked weapons beyond your next rank would help too. I know that when I started seeing a whole market full of weapons was a little daunting, especially since so many of them are locked past rank 4, 6 or 8.

The simplest solution I can think of is swapping the position of the weapons and weapons blueprint tabs. The large weapons box immediately catches the eye and, in my case, ignores the blueprint tab.

Edited by Aerothan

New players dont even know that blueprints are sold in credits, so there needs to be a clear indication on what items can be bought in credits and what are not at the first glance.

One solution I can think of is to make it so two buttons appear when you open the market: one is labeled "credit market" and the other "platinum market". 

I think the blueprints menus should be combined with the currently plat only menus and instead of just displaying one plat price, it would show both credit prices (if the blueprint can be bought) and plat side by side. If you can't outright buy the blueprint from the market it must say that the blueprint comes from somewhere else.

You are new player, you see a free2play game, you arent willing to spend 100$ outright so what is your biggest concern??

Is this game pay2win.

So they go in game, login, complete 1st mission, go into market, everything plat.

Many just wait for such sign to prove their concerns right, soon after that they quit.

I would probably do the same, but back in u6 many of weapons which are now craftable were available for credits and after you got few nice weapons you quickly understood that you can craft some stuff.

Now youre immidiately bombarded with plat purchases, some of the stuff in market doesnt even have a bp which arent helping uninformed players.

Some simple info would be nice.

This times 1000

I defiantly agree. Though new players do have a good amount of information, they should have big blinking lights for where weapons Blueprints are. ;p

Something, that screams "HEY THERE ARE BLUEPRINTS HERE!" Or just something in general for blue prints. I think there should be a "blue print" store separate from everything that there currently is though. I think that would better everybody in the community personally. A less cluttered menu for buying things please.

New players dont even know that blueprints are sold in credits, so there needs to be a clear indication on what items can be bought in credits and what are not at the first glance.

One solution I can think of is to make it so two buttons appear when you open the market: one is labeled "credit market" and the other "platinum market". 

This would be great.

Thanks for the posts guys, hopefully more people check out this thread and give useful feedback as well.

Edited by grillv20