Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Speedrunning Warframe

Velocikitty

To preface the following post: I am a huge fan of the Speedrunning Community, along with a huge fan of Warframe. I thought combining them would result in a rather cool little speedrun game.

The Pro/Cons for speedrunning Warframe:

Pro

- Free to Play

- RNG Maps, meaning no run is going to be the same

- Loads of fun

- So many different ideas for speedruns, from planetary speedruns, to 100% planetary speedruns, to even just boss runs.

Cons

- Takes time to get enough gear to speedrun

- Bit intensive, even more so to capture the run on a PC

- Gear plays a major involvement in the later levels.

- Prime Weapons will almost always be better then normal, again adding a bit of a paywall into it.

Rules:

Capture the Run via Twitch/Hitbox or Youtube

Timer has to be visible at all time (Find a timer at: http://www.speedrunslive.com/tools/)

Link it here, along with the time

Start the timer when you click the accept button on the first mission, stop it at the end when the timer ticks down to 0 to return to main menu.

Gear Swapping is allowed, if you want to risk losing some time to swapping gear, instead of going straight into mission.

Restores are allowed too.

Planet; Starting Locations; Boss Name; Time; Video; Runner (In that order):

Mercury - Terminus - Vor - 5:59.12 - http://www.twitch.tv/celestics/c/5293573 - Celestics

Venus - Cytherean - Jackal - 23:38.35 - http://www.twitch.tv/celestics/c/5293605 - Celestics

Earth - No Boss Node, Means no Chance to speedrun!

Mars - Gradivus - Nef Anyo - 24:44.15 - http://www.twitch.tv/celestics/c/5298348 - Celestics

Jupiter - Thebe - Alad V - 21:29.59 - http://www.twitch.tv/celestics/c/5298359 - Celestics

Saturn - Hyperion - Ruk - 33:03.14 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz6vzI95z5o by Velocikitty (Me) N/A

Uranus - Trinculo - Tyl - 10:39.23 - http://www.twitch.tv/celestics/c/5298374 - Celestics

Neptune - Thalassa - Heyena Pack - N/A - No One

Pluto - Acheron - Ambulas - N/A - No One

Ceres - Pallas - Lech Kril - N/A - No One

Eris - No Boss Node, means no chance to Speedrun!

Sedna - Kappa - Kela - N/A - No One

Europa - Abaddon - Raptor - N/A - No One

Phobos - Roche - Vor and Kril - N/A - No One

Now for the reason you came here: An actual Speedrun of Saturn!

(Ignore the first 8 minutes quietness, Twitch Auto Copyright Mute that started AFTER the song started)

Post times, and I'll get a spreadsheet up and running for records for planets! :D

(If you want to offer your services to help verify/keep this up to date, toss me a steam request at /id/Velocikitty, and we can discuss further!)

Edited by Velocikitty

Good to see that someone is trying to make this a thing.

Wow, some of you parkour (or lack thereof) is painful to watch.

I can't say I'm great at the parkour parts. Not used to using the rhino over my Zephyr, where you simply fly past anything parkour related. >.<

Trying to speedrun warframe systems is an interesting idea.  You could make it more interesting by imposing limitations on yourself like doing a pacifist run or only using only abilities and mods that increase mobility. 

You could also do a race where two players pick the same planet and see who can get to the end of the level first while seeing who can kill the most enemies.  You'd need some sort of a score system to find the winner though.

I can't say I'm great at the parkour parts. Not used to using the rhino over my Zephyr, where you simply fly past anything parkour related. >.<

Birdyframe best frame.  I don't like using anything other than Zephyr now because every other frame else feels so slow.  Giant rooms with tall ceilings are the best because you can launch yourself up and over everything.  I did that once and I was hooked.

Your post gives me an interesting idea regarding non-combat mission types where your objective would be to make it from point A to point B in a certain amount of time or find your way through an area, retrieve something and then make it back in a certain amount of time.  Granted we'd need a specially designed tileset or a much more expanded version of the void obstacle courses or Dojo obstacle course.  It would be interesting to see if players would enjoy a gamemode that didn't revolve around murdering everything.

So... use Zephyr?

For the final boss of Saturn? Eh. Also it was a Grinneer tileset, which means the doors that suck energy. Rhino with Skin can walk through them, as opposed to the Zephyr who has to stop and aim.

Trying to speedrun warframe systems is an interesting idea.  You could make it more interesting by imposing limitations on yourself like doing a pacifist run or only using only abilities and mods that increase mobility. 

You could also do a race where two players pick the same planet and see who can get to the end of the level first while seeing who can kill the most enemies.  You'd need some sort of a score system to find the winner though.

Birdyframe best frame.  I don't like using anything other than Zephyr now because every other frame else feels so slow.  Giant rooms with tall ceilings are the best because you can launch yourself up and over everything.  I did that once and I was hooked.

Your post gives me an interesting idea regarding non-combat mission types where your objective would be to make it from point A to point B in a certain amount of time or find your way through an area, retrieve something and then make it back in a certain amount of time.  Granted we'd need a specially designed tileset or a much more expanded version of the void obstacle courses or Dojo obstacle course.  It would be interesting to see if players would enjoy a gamemode that didn't revolve around murdering everything.

The limits are endless. Unless those other catagories are ran alot, I doubt I will be keeping track of them exactly.

As for the scouting mission type (Or what would pass as scout I'd imagine), would be tons of fun to do. Just please don't toss stealth into play.

For the final boss of Saturn? Eh. Also it was a Grinneer tileset, which means the doors that suck energy. Rhino with Skin can walk through them, as opposed to the Zephyr who has to stop and aim.

The limits are endless. Unless those other catagories are ran alot, I doubt I will be keeping track of them exactly.

As for the scouting mission type (Or what would pass as scout I'd imagine), would be tons of fun to do. Just please don't toss stealth into play.

Steath?  What's that?  I didn't know this game had stealth.

Joking aside: No Way.  The "stealth" in this game has a LONG ways to go before it's enjoyable.  There wouldn't be any enemies in this mission type.  Your only opposition would be traps and tricky platforming.  Have you ever played through one of the jumping puzzles in Guild Wars 2?  THAT's the sort of thing I want.

This sort of mission with an enemy presence would probably be something like you would take whatever it is you were sent to find and then this giant nasty something proceeds to chase you the rest of the way back through the level, attempting to smash you and generally ruin your day.  It would be even better if you don't know if this will happen when you take the object.  Could even make it so that there are multiple places where this nemesis can appear.

I like where this is headed actually.  I think I will post about this in the Fan Concept forum.

Steath?  What's that?  I didn't know this game had stealth.

Joking aside: No Way.  The "stealth" in this game has a LONG ways to go before it's enjoyable.  There wouldn't be any enemies in this mission type.  Your only opposition would be traps and tricky platforming.  Have you ever played through one of the jumping puzzles in Guild Wars 2?  THAT's the sort of thing I want.

This sort of mission with an enemy presence would probably be something like you would take whatever it is you were sent to find and then this giant nasty something proceeds to chase you the rest of the way back through the level, attempting to smash you and generally ruin your day.  It would be even better if you don't know if this will happen when you take the object.  Could even make it so that there are multiple places where this nemesis can appear.

I like where this is headed actually.  I think I will post about this in the Fan Concept forum.

Sounds fun, minus the jumping puzzles of GW2, which were tedious at best, and downright terrible with anything but a hardline into the server. (At least when I tried the jumping puzzles).

+1 For seeing that others speedrun Warframe! I do boss rushes mainly (not necessarily full planets, although I am looking into that in the future). Unfortunately there's a misconception between "speedrunners" and "rushers", so at first glance we're probably going to get negative looks... :P

One of the problems is going to be dealing with the constant updates that DE will be pushing (i.e. changes in tile sets, bosses, enemy balancing, etc.), but I'm pretty sure we can find a way around this. Hopefully this can become more popular! As for rulesets, I'm https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/286566-challenge-hardcore-boss-rush/'>linking a post that has already tried to bring up this before, but is still relevant.

Shameless self-advertising (I kinda made an introduction on the forums already and it links to my Twitch so probably better than full-on copying here).

Edited by Celestics

+1 For seeing that others speedrun Warframe! I do boss rushes mainly (not necessarily full planets, although I am looking into that in the future). Unfortunately there's a misconception between "speedrunners" and "rushers", so at first glance we're probably going to get negative looks... :P

One of the problems is going to be dealing with the constant updates that DE will be pushing (i.e. changes in tile sets, bosses, enemy balancing, etc.), but I'm pretty sure we can find a way around this. Hopefully this can become more popular!

Shameless self-advertising (I kinda made an introduction on the forums already and it links to my Twitch so probably better than full-on copying here).

The problem is simply that big patches that change tilesets drastically have new times pushed forward.

I should have linked my own twitch page, but I don't always stream Warframe.

So... the goal is to start at the listed node for planet of my choice, and work my way to the (target)? Time starts when, in sync with the first node's mission countdown timer? Equipment can be freely swapped out during the run? Specters and restores can be used?

Sounds fun, minus the jumping puzzles of GW2, which were tedious at best, and downright terrible with anything but a hardline into the server. (At least when I tried the jumping puzzles).

Warframe games are client hosted, so that wouldn't be a problem (as long as you're the host)

Have you tried the Rank 8 mastery test?  While not particularly well designed, that test is an example of what I would like to see in the 'platforming' sections of these levels.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like the Jumping Puzzles in GW2. I found most them to be a welcome break from combat.  Some of them were pretty hard though. 

Edited by Xaelon

So... the goal is to start at the listed node for planet of my choice, and work my way to the (target)? Time starts when, in sync with the first node's mission countdown timer? Equipment can be freely swapped out during the run? Specters and restores can be used?

I've always sync'd the LiveSplit timers to when you click "Accept" to begin the countdown, and given this is Solo-based, it's a pretty consistent starting point (so I agree with that). For multiplayer... something else may need to be devised.

I've always told myself "don't allow build swaps" just because it makes tailoring builds to each map way too simple (and since succeeding at Warframe is really easy with the right equipment, a better challenge is in order :P). I would consider swapless a separate category.

Same idea applies with items. The hardcore boss rush link posted earlier talks about "deathless", "swapless", and "itemless" as challenge categories, which I think are reasonable enough. The problem is just making sure that we don't create too many separate categories to run (e.g. I honestly think death should be grounds for an automatic run-killer). And for items... imho restores making rushing though levels too easy, which makes speedrunning under such a category based on map RNG and how well you can copter... what do you think?

Yeah, Like I said, there are hundreds of other things to do past just speedrunning a segment. You could run from the start of the game to the end if you so desired.

I'll go back and make sure that its listed better. Basically, when Accept is pressed, and the mission starts counting down, start the timer. Stop it when the screen fades to black at the final mission.

But yeah, you can swap gear, or do what ever you want between missions. Loadouts would most likely be really helpful for speedrunning in general, shame I didn't know too much about them back when I first did that run a month ago.

er, unless something drastic has changed, Kappa is a Mobile Defense, not an Assassination.

do you mean, Sedna - Merrow?

Kappa is the starting area of Sedna. All the planets listed were starting with the () being the final bosses' name.

EDIT - ERrr, where are you pulling Mobile Defense from? I was listing the starting areas of each planet, since there is no real list I could track down from any real source, which would be rather important.

I've always sync'd the LiveSplit timers to when you click "Accept" to begin the countdown, and given this is Solo-based, it's a pretty consistent starting point (so I agree with that). For multiplayer... something else may need to be devised.

I've always told myself "don't allow build swaps" just because it makes tailoring builds to each map way too simple (and since succeeding at Warframe is really easy with the right equipment, a better challenge is in order :P). I would consider swapless a separate category.

Same idea applies with items. The hardcore boss rush link posted earlier talks about "deathless", "swapless", and "itemless" as challenge categories, which I think are reasonable enough. The problem is just making sure that we don't create too many separate categories to run (e.g. I honestly think death should be grounds for an automatic run-killer). And for items... imho restores making rushing though levels too easy, which makes speedrunning under such a category based on map RNG and how well you can copter... what do you think?

To be honest, I'd be running anything without coptering. Such a stupid mechanic. But I could see abusing Volt from the start to finish, then swapping to Rhino for the boss being something popular, but that can be cracked down, later on down the road, when there is more then just me running.

Warframe games are client hosted, so that wouldn't be a problem (as long as you're the host)

Have you tried the Rank 8 mastery test?  While not particularly well designed, that test is an example of what I would like to see in the 'platforming' sections of these levels.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like the Jumping Puzzles in GW2. I found most them to be a welcome break from combat.  Some of them were pretty hard though. 

Rank 8 was the floating platform test?I think rank 8 took me 3 days before I just gave in and cheesed it with the Zephyr. Bought a Loki just to abuse Rank 9, then back to Zephyr for 10. 
Edited by Velocikitty

Yeah, Like I said, there are hundreds of other things to do past just speedrunning a segment. You could run from the start of the game to the end if you so desired.

I'll go back and make sure that its listed better. Basically, when Accept is pressed, and the mission starts counting down, start the timer. Stop it when the screen fades to black at the final mission.

But yeah, you can swap gear, or do what ever you want between missions. Loadouts would most likely be really helpful for speedrunning in general, shame I didn't know too much about them back when I first did that run a month ago.

/snip

To be honest, I'd be running anything without coptering. Such a stupid mechanic. But I could see abusing Volt from the start to finish, then swapping to Rhino for the boss being something popular, but that can be cracked down, later on down the road, when there is more then just me running.

/snip

I normally stop as soon as you see Mission Complete (you lose control of your Warframe there - isn't that how SRL usually times their runs?).

But I like coptering... :P Maybe a no coptering% is in order (basically this means no melee D:).

Kappa is the starting area of Sedna. All the planets listed were starting with the () being the final bosses' name.

EDIT - ERrr, where are you pulling Mobile Defense from? I was listing the starting areas of each planet, since there is no real list I could track down from any real source, which would be rather important.

uh. oh. i thought you were telling people to speedrun the Bosses.

but you also mean a menu efficiency race too.

nevermind.

This is an interesting idea. A while back me and a few friends did an unofficial race.

Basic idea, any frame and weapons allowed though most of us went zorens,amphis and ichors for coptering reasons

The idea is we all stick together and kill salad. Once he is dead,the race to extraction starts. It worked out quite well.

Recommend it to ppl who want to mess around.