Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Quest Idea: An Anguished Soul's Challenge (Inspired By Stalker's Nikana)

4MostlyHarmless2

DISCLAIMER: The "Anguish" Nikana comes from blazingcobalt's thread, which I have linked above. 

INTRODUCTION

So I was going through the Fan Art section when I saw blazingcobalt's Stalker Nikana concept, and I immediately fell in love with it. However, as we all know, Stalker goes around with a scythe, and while it'd probably be easier to just replace his melee weapon in-game, I thought of how symbolic the scythe is to Stalker's image of deadly vengeance. At the same time, I remembered that a sword like the katana would be symbolic of a warrior, and how the usual fighting style with a katana is a one-on-one affair. 

That's when I thought, "What if there was a quest that allowed you to face Stalker one-on-one in a duel, so that you could get that awesome-looking "Anguish" Nikana?" 

AW. HELL. YISS. 

CHARACTERS IN THIS QUEST: 
> You
> Stalker

Basically that's all that's needed, because this time, it's personal. *dun dun duuuun*

RATIONALE FOR THE QUEST

Well, the main reason for the quest is to get that that new weapon (or weapon skin, but weapon is preferable because I like hoarding). This, can also be a way to insert more lore into the game, as well as serve as a challenge for players who would like to seek it out. And it's an interesting way to shake up gameplay.

QUEST REQUIREMENTS/ OBJECTIVES
>Beat/ Survive Stalker X amount of times in a row without getting beaten by him. 
>(ideally) Fight and beat Stalker using either a Nikana-type weapon or a Skana. 

The idea here is that you manage to continuously give Stalker such a beating (or be present at his beatings), and emerged unharmed every time, that he feels a need to challenge you in a duel for his honor. Despite his tendency to strike when you least expect it (or attack when you're low-leveled), it would be interesting to see in his character some tiny shred of honor that remains from the time he served with the Orokin. 

The Melee-only with a Nikana-type weapon or Skana is to keep in with the spirit of things, though I guess if some people really just don't want to bother building a Nikana or Skana then some leeway can be given. I included the Skana because it's supposedly the foundation of Tenno culture and how symbolic it is to the game.

QUEST PROGRESSION

Step 1

So first, you have to encounter Stalker X amount of times (preferably 5), and every time that you fight him, you have to defeat him and survive. This means that you cannot die to him in solo mode, and cannot fall into bleedout state when you're with a team. (The last one may be a bit strict for some, but the idea behind it is that if your teammates had not been there you'd have bled out and died anyway). Upon the last successful encounter, you will receive a message from Stalker, challenging you to fight him in the old ways for the sake of honor.

Step 2

Once you receive the message, you'll be asked to equip either a Nikana or a Skana, and meet him at a certain location. (Ideally at Terminus due to it's significance in his Codex Entry). At this point, you are on your own, and are not allowed to play in a squad. This is a personal thing, so other Tenno should not be allowed to interfere.

Step 3

When you get to Terminus, you will end up in a map that is similar to the dueling rooms in the dojos, except more Stalker-ish themed. (Or the Conclave thing, but I've never been there so I don't really know it)The fight between you and Stalker will be a best of 3. Stalker at this point is armed with his special "Anguish" Nikana, that if possible will be stanced with either Decisive Judgement, Tranquil Cleave, or Blind Justice. 

To make it more challenging, I think there should be an RNG for Stalker to switch between Stances every round, so that you'll have to guess how he'll be fighting every round that you win. Stalker will have his abilities, and may even have a few surprises (RNG for 4 random Warframe Abilities that he will have, Dispel included, Bladestorm a really really rare chance. Wouldn't Stalker be scarier if he suddenly whacks you with a Shuriken, then Slash Dashes you to oblivion?)

QUEST REWARDS
>blazingcobalt's "Anguish" Nikana, either as a skin or an entirely new weapon (preferably the latter)
>Sigil (possibly) 
>Smoke Effect (because why not) 
>Sweet rare lootz (potatoes pls)

CONSEQUENCES OF FAILURE

Well, you can't expect to win all the time, so in the event of failure, there will have to be an appropriate penalty. Forgive me for my cruelty, but I think that an item or mark that applies the effect of Void Exposure in Operation Gate Crash will fit in perfectly. Once you get beaten by Stalker, your Warframe will be severely weakened, and you'll have to go craft something to negate the effect, just like the bolts.

POSSIBLE DIALOGUE

Stalker's Challenge Inbox Message:

You are strong. 

Come. 

We will fight in the old ways, blade against blade. Your honor, versus mine.

I will wait at the place where the Empire bled to death and my vengeance began. 

While the Quest is On-Going 

Ordis Comments (I like him okay)

"Operator, is something wrong? You've been much more quiet than usual... (distort) considering you don't seem to talk at all (distort)." 

"Sometimes, I wonder who else survived the Old War... *lights flicker on the ship* I'm sorry, did I say something disturbing?" 

...actually these are totally viable lines for outside of the quest so oh well

During the Stalker Duel

"For the Emperors!" 

"My duty has not ended. I will protect their honor, and slay you." 

"First you, then your clan, then your kind." 

"NO! IT WAS I WHO SHE LOVED, NOT YOU!" (because what's Warframe without some random lines)

"Your form is wrong!" 

"Tell me, what is honor without justice?"

"Their voices call to me, imploring me to avenge them. And so I shall."

"You were my brother, (insert player name here)! I loved you!" (Star Wars reference pls)

There are so many more I can think of but oh well.

Anyway those are my thoughts. Feel free to comment, upvote, discuss, suggest, etc. 

EDIT: changed link, thanks blazingcobalt!

Edited by 4MostlyHarmless2

I like the idea of the Stalker having a bit more to him other than just popping in, 'lol hey wanna fight'

The idea of him weakening the frame as well is nice too. It makes him fit in more with Zanuka/G3.

+1 from me!

On a side note, you might wanna link this thread instead since that one you first linked is my fan art thread, which constantly changes.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/322728-anguish-stalkers-nikana-updated-concept-art/

Edited by blazingcobalt

DISCLAIMER: The "Anguish" Nikana comes from blazingcobalt's thread, which I have linked above. 

INTRODUCTION

So I was going through the Fan Art section when I saw blazingcobalt's Stalker Nikana concept, and I immediately fell in love with it. However, as we all know, Stalker goes around with a scythe, and while it'd probably be easier to just replace his melee weapon in-game, I thought of how symbolic the scythe is to Stalker's image of deadly vengeance. At the same time, I remembered that a sword like the katana would be symbolic of a warrior, and how the usual fighting style with a katana is a one-on-one affair. 

That's when I thought, "What if there was a quest that allowed you to face Stalker one-on-one in a duel, so that you could get that awesome-looking "Anguish" Nikana?" 

AW. HELL. YISS. 

CHARACTERS IN THIS QUEST: 
> You
> Stalker

Basically that's all that's needed, because this time, it's personal. *dun dun duuuun*

RATIONALE FOR THE QUEST

Well, the main reason for the quest is to get that that new weapon (or weapon skin, but weapon is preferable because I like hoarding). This, can also be a way to insert more lore into the game, as well as serve as a challenge for players who would like to seek it out. And it's an interesting way to shake up gameplay.

QUEST REQUIREMENTS/ OBJECTIVES
>Beat/ Survive Stalker X amount of times in a row without getting beaten by him. 
>(ideally) Fight and beat Stalker using either a Nikana-type weapon or a Skana. 

The idea here is that you manage to continuously give Stalker such a beating (or be present at his beatings), and emerged unharmed every time, that he feels a need to challenge you in a duel for his honor. Despite his tendency to strike when you least expect it (or attack when you're low-leveled), it would be interesting to see in his character some tiny shred of honor that remains from the time he served with the Orokin. 

The Melee-only with a Nikana-type weapon or Skana is to keep in with the spirit of things, though I guess if some people really just don't want to bother building a Nikana or Skana then some leeway can be given. I included the Skana because it's supposedly the foundation of Tenno culture and how symbolic it is to the game.

QUEST PROGRESSION

Step 1

So first, you have to encounter Stalker X amount of times (preferably 5), and every time that you fight him, you have to defeat him and survive. This means that you cannot die to him in solo mode, and cannot fall into bleedout state when you're with a team. (The last one may be a bit strict for some, but the idea behind it is that if your teammates had not been there you'd have bled out and died anyway). Upon the last successful encounter, you will receive a message from Stalker, challenging you to fight him in the old ways for the sake of honor.

Step 2

Once you receive the message, you'll be asked to equip either a Nikana or a Skana, and meet him at a certain location. (Ideally at Terminus due to it's significance in his Codex Entry). At this point, you are on your own, and are not allowed to play in a squad. This is a personal thing, so other Tenno should not be allowed to interfere.

Step 3

When you get to Terminus, you will end up in a map that is similar to the dueling rooms in the dojos, except more Stalker-ish themed. (Or the Conclave thing, but I've never been there so I don't really know it)The fight between you and Stalker will be a best of 3. Stalker at this point is armed with his special "Anguish" Nikana, that if possible will be stanced with either Decisive Judgement, Tranquil Cleave, or Blind Justice. 

To make it more challenging, I think there should be an RNG for Stalker to switch between Stances every round, so that you'll have to guess how he'll be fighting every round that you win. Stalker will have his abilities, and may even have a few surprises (RNG for 4 random Warframe Abilities that he will have, Dispel included, Bladestorm a really really rare chance. Wouldn't Stalker be scarier if he suddenly whacks you with a Shuriken, then Slash Dashes you to oblivion?)

QUEST REWARDS
>blazingcobalt's "Anguish" Nikana, either as a skin or an entirely new weapon (preferably the latter)
>Sigil (possibly) 
>Smoke Effect (because why not) 
>Sweet rare lootz (potatoes pls)

CONSEQUENCES OF FAILURE

Well, you can't expect to win all the time, so in the event of failure, there will have to be an appropriate penalty. Forgive me for my cruelty, but I think that an item or mark that applies the effect of Void Exposure in Operation Gate Crash will fit in perfectly. Once you get beaten by Stalker, your Warframe will be severely weakened, and you'll have to go craft something to negate the effect, just like the bolts.

POSSIBLE DIALOGUE

Stalker's Challenge Inbox Message:

You are strong. 

Come. 

We will fight in the old ways, blade against blade. Your honor, versus mine.

I will wait at the place where the Empire bled to death and my vengeance began. 

While the Quest is On-Going 

Ordis Comments (I like him okay)

"Operator, is something wrong? You've been much more quiet than usual... (distort) considering you don't seem to talk at all (distort)." 

"Sometimes, I wonder who else survived the Old War... *lights flicker on the ship* I'm sorry, did I say something disturbing?" 

...actually these are totally viable lines for outside of the quest so oh well

During the Stalker Duel

"For the Emperors!" 

"My duty has not ended. I will protect their honor, and slay you." 

"First you, then your clan, then your kind." 

"NO! IT WAS I WHO SHE LOVED, NOT YOU!" (because what's Warframe without some random lines)

"Your form is wrong!" 

"Tell me, what is honor without justice?"

"Their voices call to me, imploring me to avenge them. And so I shall."

"You were my brother, (insert player name here)! I loved you!" (Star Wars reference pls)

There are so many more I can think of but oh well.

Anyway those are my thoughts. Feel free to comment, upvote, discuss, suggest, etc. 

EDIT: changed link, thanks blazingcobalt!

I really like this idea it'd be a nice challenge for lots of players