Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Did Anyone See This?

RCOAS

Waaaaaay back, yeah, i've seen it, it's quite coolioz but just goes to show corporate decisions > the ideas of industry professionals with cool ideas, this has stopped many games from being how they were originally conceived, and at the time, the people with cash were like "wut? another sci-fi killfest? Fak this make me a ww2 shooter"

Edited by Somedude1000

That's just incredible.

"The most consistent feedback? Change the setting, as sci-fi was a non-starter. World War II was a popular suggestion, despite the popularity of other sci-fi shooters, like Bungie's Halo."

Sci-fi is pretty much the primary reason I even looked at a F2P game (i.e. Warframe) in the first place. I don't even like Civil war/World War historical settings.

That article hit me in the feels with all that nonsense about turning Dark Sector modern, with an eye patch/stubble/codpiece... Seriously, the suits thought that's what people want? :|

I had no idea DE struggled so much to get the idea they wanted out there and going. Kudos to sticking with it through the years.

That's just incredible.

"The most consistent feedback? Change the setting, as sci-fi was a non-starter. World War II was a popular suggestion, despite the popularity of other sci-fi shooters, like Bungie's Halo."

Sci-fi is pretty much the primary reason I even looked at a F2P game (i.e. Warframe) in the first place. I don't even like Civil war/World War historical settings.

That article hit me in the feels with all that nonsense about turning Dark Sector modern, with an eye patch/stubble/codpiece... Seriously, the suits thought that's what people want? :|

I had no idea DE struggled so much to get the idea they wanted out there and going. Kudos to sticking with it through the years.

And looking at Warframe now, I wanna go back on time and say "just hang in there, guys. You'll get your chance."

Jesus..2 years since it went into closed beta? AND it's still doing this well? Despite some of the drawbacks DE pretty much the nail on the head with this title. I know Steve/James said it was a side project and at the TennoStream Steve originally thought people would stop after putting in 10 hours (take that with a grain of salt since my memory isn't the best.)

What's interesting is that this is their first pitch at the F2P model and to my understanding the team was worried about wandering into that kind of wilderness, but the fact it's more or less still on the list of Steams' top played games should say something.

Someone should pull up those one year anniversary stats..those never cease to amaze me.

You have to consider the year. 

Games themes were subjected to an evolution. 90s was the age of sci-fi games. At the end of 90s and the beginning of the new millennium, themes changed from sci-fi to historical. WWII was a really common one. It's only in the last years that sci-fi returned. 

I don't like the fact that DE has been forced to change what they would like to do into Dark Sector, but to be a bit philosophical, 'the world wasn't ready'. 

Someone should pull up those one year anniversary stats...

Reading between the lines on that chart, if I recall not even one in every three players crafted a SINGLE warframe.

Who here still has only Excalibur, Mag, or Loki/Volt, or built JUST a Rhino?

Reading between the lines, the retention rate was abysmal compared to the numbers that at least registered an account.  Still, Warframe is doing well.  It retained enough, and is showing consistent signs on Steam of growing and will probably continue to do so as DE creates a bigger and bigger yard for us to play in.  I would not be surprised to see Archwing evolve to involve planetside theatres in some way in the future.

But yes, as said by another poster, Warframe released as Dark Sector might have been too early.  It would have been pioneering F2P, thus at risk of not learning from those F2Ps that came before it, and it would have had to compete with a wary audience still very, very attracted to pay-to-play models and "real world" guns.  It took about 10 years, but people are finally getting tired of seeing M4A1s, M16s, AK47s and endlessly spawning waves of Russian and Middle-Eastern soldiers for enemies.  Only so many ways a goon with an assault rifle can interact with the player.  An AI-less one at that.

Still, I bet the publisher that forced them to make a "modern" game with sci-fi elements is kicking their own &#! right now, seeing where Warframe is now.

That's pretty interesting.  There are some interesting things in that concept video.  One of the most interesting being that grineer and corpus appeared to be part of the same faction at one point  (look at the design of the grineer ship (the outside I mean), and the suits that Haden walks past on his way to extraction).

I would also like to see the corpus get something similar to that nasty robo in that video.  Something with a quad heavy supra style guns on it.

Having DE end up self-publishing Warframe was probably the best thing that could have happened.  If there was a publisher behind this game things would be much different (as I'm sure all of you know).  The biggest difference would be that the publisher would be the driving force behind development rather than DE.  The whole community focused development process would have been lost since DE would have to run everything proposed by the players through the publisher rather than just picking and choosing whatever they want and going with it. 

It's hard to say if this game would be better or worse if there was a publisher driving it.  The only thing I can say for sure is that it would be different.

I wonder what this game would be like if the publisher who published Dark Sector had actually published Warframe instead.  Maybe someone from DE will come by and comment.

It is already in the game. I'll give you a hint: Fossa, Venus.

Eh, the jackal's kinda like that?  His MGs arn't really good enough to really do much.  The Missles and the stomp are what's threatening about that boss.  I would like to see a more 'ballistic' focused type of jackle.  Something able to pin players behind cover using a wall of bullets.  Maybe they just need to make the Jackal's guns sound like they have more "mph" behind them.

Edited by Xaelon

It is already in the game. I'll give you a hint: Fossa, Venus.

Compared to the Jackal, the bot in the video was a more compact scaled down version that would be great as a type of heavy walker for the corpus even though its slow. Jackal is a prototype, that thing could be the mass production model and we all know prototypes are the ones to get all the bells and whistles.

One thing I did really like in the video was how organic the Grineer troops felt. For one we could actually understand what they were saying to each other (which helps a ton in connecting to them as characters) and for two the way they moved and acted was much more realistic of well... a living thing. Compared to now where they just basically speak gibberish at us and zerg.

Compared to the Jackal, the bot in the video was a more compact scaled down version that would be great as a type of heavy walker for the corpus even though its slow. Jackal is a prototype, that thing could be the mass production model and we all know prototypes are the ones to get all the bells and whistles.

One thing I did really like in the video was how organic the Grineer troops felt. For one we could actually understand what they were saying to each other (which helps a ton in connecting to them as characters) and for two the way they moved and acted was much more realistic of well... a living thing. Compared to now where they just basically speak gibberish at us and zerg.

Remember that it's not a gameplay vid.  It's just a rendered cutscene-like trailer.  Of course the Grineer there moved and acted more realistic.  Granted, I hope DE gets to making this in Warframe soon.

For one we could actually understand what they were saying to each other (which helps a ton in connecting to them as characters) and for two the way they moved and acted was much more realistic of well... a living thing. Compared to now where they just basically speak gibberish at us and zerg.

Well watch this.

They used to speak like humans.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/218948-a-blast-from-the-past/

Wow I'm very surprised just how much of the original art style from that made it into warframe. I mean considering that was made eight years before warframe the fact that the Burston rifle and lots of the set dressing are pretty much exactly like they are in the current game is astonishing.