Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

There Is No Good, Or Evil In Warframe

Arlayn

As for "Betrayers" I think that's how Corpus sometimes calls Tenno.

Only people in Solar System I'm sure are good guys are members of Steel Meridian.

The big question is "why"? Especially with the Mara Detron suggesting the Corpus were some kind of smugger/outlaw sect during the Orokin Era... I suppose the chaos brought about by the Orokin's destruction MIGHT have been bad for business, but you'd think that with the fact the big bad government is no longer around to cause them problems and the people of the system now needing the help of an underdog more than other would have put them into the position to... well, we see what happened to them because of it.

You think they'd be a bit more grateful, but no!

We can not draw direct lines between moralities as morality is a construct of society and it's biases. What is moral for you is barbaric and amoral to someone else. 

Infested are the easiest to judge. Morality does not apply to them. They are a single organism, basically. They do what every living thing does, propagates itself. It fights to survive and spread. And this is neither wrong nor right. Is a lion morally wrong or evil for killing and eating a gazelle?

Though we don't know the ultimate goals of the Queens, the average grineer fights for them with a fervor. Though the intelligence of a lone grineer is hard to determine (some are smarter then others) I think it is safe to assume that the average infantryman is not very bright. Also there's their society. Over the centuries that this empire has existed the main focus, the drive of the people in it is to life for the queens. Probably in a belief that the better off the queens are, the better their lives will become in return. And if they don't survive, the following generations might have it better. That their sacrifices will pave the way to a brighter grineer future. 

Somehow I get the feeling that is the mentality and teaching of a grineer. A belief of self-sacrifice towards a goal set by a godlike ruler (to the grineer) that, unlike the deities of our time, one can actually talk to and possibly even see. Creating a very strong connection and sense of loyalty. They fight for what they think it right. Their actions are moral to them. Of course there are those that disagree. That is true for all factions. 

Corpus have developed from mercantile organizations. At some point the negotiations between these corporations went from stocks and board rooms to more middle-ages nobility of families/cartels exchanging members for support and loyalty. In our ancient times these marriages and pacts were made for "God and King" if you will. Now it's "Profit". If you lived in a world where everything has a price. Probably for a corpus civilian who has lived and worked their whole lives under the banner it is an evolution on a line of thinking where you need money to live. To get money you need profit. Living means surviving. Profit equals survival. Take that and ramp it up to eleven for a few centuries. 

As for their fighting force. I think it is made up of a mix of volunteers and "conscripts". Volunteers are promised a steady pay and they probably get that pay too. I'd venture a guess that regardless, how many crewmen we kill, that is only a fraction of them out there. As for conscripts, people who have fallen into debt may be contractually obligated to enter into servitude as crewmen. Also there is no reason to rule out people being round up like cattle and just "processed" into loyal soldiers.

Indoctrination is just a part of their training, regardless if volunteer or "conscript". Just like today in every single military organization out there, you are indoctrinated to view the world through the same lens as the commanding element. It's just corpus take it to a practically inhuman level. With their soldiers trained and brainwashed to disregard their own safety and well being for that of their employer or see. A sort of imposed loyalty. Possibly a result of a similar process that the Ascaris is supposed to use. The thing Vor tried to take control of you with and Darvo said was the same tech they used to keep their drones loyal. Seems to me it's a process (or a similar one) that can be done on a person. 

Then of course there is the possibility that this is the easiest way to climb the hierarchy of the corpus society. For some it is a prison, to others an opportunity. Where it's the extreme of "get to the top of die trying". No half-baked measures. Where the punishment for failing to follow orders given to you is worse then dying. So you will throw yourself at the Tenno, knowing that if you succeed, IF, the pay will be so good as to let you ditch the weapon and become the employer. Or it's a way out of servitude, a way to erase your debts or die without saddling your next-of-kin with said debts. 

As for the Tenno. They are warriors. Soldiers. They are weapons by design. The culture that surrounds them is simply a product of Orokin influences. Possibly an artificial construct developed to give these walking WMD's a code or a purpose to follow outside of combat. So they made a culture around them. Gave them duties, positions, ceremonies; a code to follow and live by to keep them docile and willing to follow orders.

If Tenno, by design could be packed up and set on a shelf when killing is done, the Orokin would of probably done that. But since Tenno are alive, they need to train, they need to practice and "live" to learn and thus become more effective. There needs to be a frame around that, a purpose- If you treat a person just as a tool but let them be around other people who are not treated as tools. They will ask questions. And you don't want someone as deadly as a Tenno to start questioning you, your motives and it's place within the grand scheme of things. 

Something tells me, in the end the Tenno did ask a few very difficult questions the Orokin didn't know the right answers for.

As for Tenno morality. There is the right thing. And there is the good thing. Sometimes, doing the right thing is not the same as doing the good thing. And same is true with doing a good thing, it might not be right. But I guess that applies for everyone. 

• 6 years later...