Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I'd Really, Really Want, To Use Shotguns Again

Phoenix86

I started using Hek recently, that thing is crazy strong and easy to use, a perfect standard shotgun. Punchthrough makes it even better.

Also picked up Drakgoon again, insanely strong with a fire/slash build. Add punchthrough so you dont have to charge and it mows down enemies quickly.

Tigris was cool, but i cant get used to shooting only twice and reloading. Even with punchthrough, mobs are hard to handle, there simply isnt enough lead flying to keep them away. I have to play a lot slower, moving methodically from room to room so i dont get swarmed.

Phage... Meh. Never got used to it, not interested.

Anyway, point is, why do shotguns need a buff? Theyre crazy strong! The only drawback i see with the ones Ive used is that i play a little slower and pay more attention to my magazine, dont want to get caught while needing to reload.

Also picked up Drakgoon again, insanely strong with a fire/slash build. Add punchthrough so you dont have to charge and it mows down enemies quickly.

But Drakgoon is meant to be charged ;-; A ton more damage, 3 meter punch through and deadly accurate for long range headshots with all pellets. Just add Shotgun spazz and it's magical.

Buff Hell's Chamber, buff Tactical Reload, buff Point Blank.

Hell's chamber should max out at 180% (30% per rank).

Point Blank should max out at 120% (20% per rank).

Tactical Reload should be at 60%.

Reduce the falloff exponent (meaning greater damage at longer ranges) and add a critical chance and damage bonus to enemies within 5 meters.

But Drakgoon is meant to be charged ;-; A ton more damage, 3 meter punch through and deadly accurate for long range headshots with all pellets. Just add Shotgun spazz and it's magical.

Drakgoon is meant to be charged as the situation requires it, like any mechanic. I use charged shots to wipe out a bunch of lined up enemies, or to focus on one enemy. Punchthrough on uncharged shots lets me wipe out mobs up close without need to charge it. It still does insane damage and OHKOs everything.

After reading a few topics, I can understand why the damage fall off on shotguns doesn't make a whole lot of sense anymore, however, I don't understand why players want to turn shotguns into rifles by removing the falloff. If you want a rifle go use a rifle, shotguns are for killing things up close, not sniping things 100 meters away.

That said, Hek is very accurate with a tight spread, you can definitely snipe with Drakgoon's charged shot, and Phage essentially turns into a super accurate beam rifle when focused, and they still so tons of damage. So what the F***, guys? Why do they need a buff again? lol

Edited by DarkTails

Because rifles do what shotguns do already but better. I don't understand the weird double standard where shotguns are restricted to working in limited ranges but rifles are good at everything, but whatever.

Almost more importantly, shotguns are just unstatistying to use. For the amount of close-range firepower they supposedly put out, they don't have very good visual feedback. I'd like to see enemies killed by shotguns within 10m or so fly back a bit. No ragdolled damage, just something to show me that my shotgun really is packing a lot of heat.

Almost more importantly, shotguns are just unstatistying to use. For the amount of close-range firepower they supposedly put out, they don't have very good visual feedback. I'd like to see enemies killed by shotguns within 10m or so fly back a bit. No ragdolled damage, just something to show me that my shotgun really is packing a lot of heat.

This. In, for example, Payday 2, scoring a shotgun kill can land a guy on the roof. Laws of physics be damned, it's really satisfying to launch a target.

Because rifles do what shotguns do already but better. I don't understand the weird double standard where shotguns are restricted to working in limited ranges but rifles are good at everything, but whatever.

I agree, but I still don't see how that's a valid reason to buff shotguns.

Get rid of falloff? Eh, fine. It would let players use shotguns as rifles, that's what they really want anyway.

But add even more damage? Cripes, are we hunting Space Godzilla or something? xD I don't know, whatever, have DE double shotgun damage, there will still be complaints.

There definitely needs to be some kind of trauma feedback implemented to the game, I don't like how little effect the guns seem to have, especially shotguns.

Edited by DarkTails

Simply putting mods like Point Blank and the corrupted one (forgot the name) on par with Serration and Heavy Caliber would be 1st good step.

Imho a rifle shouldnt be able to out DPS a shotgun within the first 20m

20% per level for the two base damage mods could work.

One thing that I'd like to see instead is that the first pellet of the blast will deal 50% of the base damage, ignoring falloff, with the remaining damage being split between pellets and having falloff as normal.

It would give shotguns a decent niche in terms of dealing damage to crowds, and to killing fast/light targets.

It would do nothing to improve the higher up damage of the weapons, but it would increase your minimum damage output, which is the area where shotguns really lack at the moment.

20% per level for the two base damage mods could work.

One thing that I'd like to see instead is that the first pellet of the blast will deal 50% of the base damage, ignoring falloff, with the remaining damage being split between pellets and having falloff as normal.

It would give shotguns a decent niche in terms of dealing damage to crowds, and to killing fast/light targets.

It would do nothing to improve the higher up damage of the weapons, but it would increase your minimum damage output, which is the area where shotguns really lack at the moment.

But then, what if that pellet goes completely wide? The damage being spread across multiple pellets is supposed to be a strength of the weapon class.