Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Laser Gates – Can We See This Change In Update 15? (Please)

Saint_Tan

I recall the good old days when the laser gates actually functioned as intended – preventing Tenno intruders from entering or exiting an area.

And I must say, I/we felt Uber Ninja-esque doing a cool floor slide to slip through the enemy defenses as if they weren’t even there. A true Ninja trick indeed!  (Once in awhile the slide wouldn’t work though -  there was reward and punishment for your ability/inability to time your slide.)

But as of several updates ago, the laser gates just became little more than a speed bump.  You hit them, and you still push through to the other side.  Um, what?  The contractor who installed all those lasers for the Corpus should really return the greedy milk, but I digress…

Fluff wise, it make ZERO sense for the gates to ‘push you through’ versus bouncing you back from which way you came.

Play wise, it is almost certainly easier/faster (especially if I have a hoard of baddies on my tail) to just run into the gate and take the small grief of being knocked down (on the other side) versus stopping, trying to find the sensor, accurately aim at it, shoot it, then continue through the passage.

Maybe some players had difficulty sliding through the gates, but what’s next?  Making solid walls allow passage just because players can’t properly navigate the map? 

Returning to the previous laser gates will add a nice touch or realism as well as that mild fear that can brew just as you start your slide:  Will the Ninja Slide Gods allow me one more safe passage through…?

I agree. Make it so that either taking out the camera watching you or going through the gate a slide / roll gets you through safely. Maybe reposition the lasers to make this method of getting through a little more obvious, so it becomes clearer that there's a space to slide through.

I recall the good old days when the laser gates actually functioned as intended – preventing Tenno intruders from entering or exiting an area.

And I must say, I/we felt Uber Ninja-esque doing a cool floor slide to slip through the enemy defenses as if they weren’t even there. A true Ninja trick indeed!  (Once in awhile the slide wouldn’t work though -  there was reward and punishment for your ability/inability to time your slide.)

But as of several updates ago, the laser gates just became little more than a speed bump.  You hit them, and you still push through to the other side.  Um, what?  The contractor who installed all those lasers for the Corpus should really return the greedy milk, but I digress…

Fluff wise, it make ZERO sense for the gates to ‘push you through’ versus bouncing you back from which way you came.

Play wise, it is almost certainly easier/faster (especially if I have a hoard of baddies on my tail) to just run into the gate and take the small grief of being knocked down (on the other side) versus stopping, trying to find the sensor, accurately aim at it, shoot it, then continue through the passage.

Maybe some players had difficulty sliding through the gates, but what’s next?  Making solid walls allow passage just because players can’t properly navigate the map? 

Returning to the previous laser gates will add a nice touch or realism as well as that mild fear that can brew just as you start your slide:  Will the Ninja Slide Gods allow me one more safe passage through…?

I agree. Don't punish ninjas for being such. 

This was also really cool to with Loki. But doesn't function like it used  to...

zbpOgWh.jpg

While always going through is too easy, always falling back was crippling to new players, and made the game almost unfair. (I was a noob around the time they changed them)

This is one situation where RNG would probably benefit, if the laser-gates kicked you out in a random direction. That would still allow passage after one or more attempts, but actively punish those who rely on tanking it.

You can just roll through them anyway so they still aren't really even much of a speed bump. Suprisingly I'm learning this fact is not common knowledge.

Remember when they used to insta kill you? Those where the days.

I agree they shouldn't push you through to the otherside though.

You take shield damage

Still unhindered. It does not cause you to lose all your momentum like any alternative.

It's much more effective than rolling through the Grineer equivalent. I'll say that much.

Besides, the shield damage is so minute there is no point even bringing it up unless you were just making a jab at the fact that I said unhindered.

Edited by Kestral9999

This is the kind of logic that I despise. The whole "what's next? A drastically blown out of proportion version of what was previously stated" thing has gotten very old.

That's not the OP's point of the thread. 

And on that note, yeah, I'd like it if laser doors returned to their former glory.