Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Old Events As Tutorials

Flamingfighter

So the new Hot Topics was put out last week and one of the questions got me thinking. Right now, one of the questions up there is asking what parts of Warframe need a tutorial implemented to explain the feature. The top 2 picks are Invasions/Alerts/Nightmare and Void Missions/Keys. The first one, more specifically: Invasions, got me thinking back to Gradivus dilemma which, as I recall, introduced the Invasion concept in the first place. 

But then again, most of these events are introducing new game types or tilesets to the game aren't they? Gradivus introduced Invasions, Cicero Crisis introduced the Earth tileset, Cryotic introduced Excavation, Arid Fear introduced the Desert tileset. Events have always seemed to be the way we've learned about new content, so why not hold to that.

My idea is that Events should be re-implemented back into the game. Mind, I know that on multiple occasions Steve and the other devs have mentioned strong interest in reintroducing Events or special missions (The first I heard was in the wake of the Rescue Darvo from Frohd mission that introduced Oxium Hyenas) back into the game, why not kill two birds with one stone?

And another plus, Events and these special Missions, Operations, what-have-you have also been the primary source of lore and characterization in the game, and players who miss these or join afterwards are actually missing out on a good chunk of lore.

So I was thinking, maybe create a special "Event" nodes on the solar maps where abridged versions of these events are accessible as a tutorial and as a source of lore. When it's unlocked, you can get your Lotus-or-whoever message and then have any sort of congratulatory message upon completion of the node.

For example, when you reach the first planet where Invasions first become a factor, have a new Gradivus node unlock. The Lotus can send Tenno a message briefing them of the situation and fresh players coming into this will be able to get a better understanding of how the invasions system works and can pick a side. Events should be abridged, though, so no 100 missions for this node, probably just the typical 5. Gate Crash can be used to introduce Derelict/Void type missions. Players might suddenly get that Vay Hek transmission regarding his plans with the void keys and Lotus can send instructions on how to acquire and build a "Gate Crash" key. An abridged Arid Fear can be used to introduce the Phobos tileset either before or when you reach the planet. Maybe a special "Breeding Grounds" mission node can show up before you hit Eris because one of Alad's test ships drifted off (as it seemed to work in the original event")

These are just thoughts I had when I saw the New Hot Topics, but since you can't really start discussion on an individual idea there, I made a separate topic. I may link this on the Hot Topics thread if reception is good enough though.

I think they said that events will be returning as quests, you're not far off.

But I don't think they said anything about the "quests" being used to introduce players to the various game mechanics. And that is what I'm suggesting. In the same vein as Vor's Prize being used to introduce features like the foundry.

But I don't think they said anything about the "quests" being used to introduce players to the various game mechanics. And that is what I'm suggesting. In the same vein as Vor's Prize being used to introduce features like the foundry.

I think the old events could function as both story missions and tutorials; off the top of my head the only missions that implemented mechanics worth explaining were the Survival and Extraction events, and possibly Gravidus Dilemma since it introduced Invasions (but they're not too hard to figure out seeing as they're just glorified Exterminate missions).

Any other event so far really didn't do anything too groundbreaking as far as I can remember, so they'd be more for letting new players enjoy the lore they missed rather than teach them about the game.

So +1 to events as quests and/or tutorials

Edited by Paradoxbomb