Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mythology Gags And Fridge Brilliance

SuperTechmarine

I've noticed a few, such as Oberon: which is meant to be a king of fearies in medieval mythology. Also was a character in William Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream. I feel like I must add how I think Oberon does look quite "mythical"

Loki is well, pretty damn freaking obvious. The trickster God in Norse mythology, brother to Thor. 

Theirs the Banshee, another obvious one, which has multiple different versions. One being a spirit that cries out loudly when someone dies, another being a beautiful ghostly figure with flowing white hair that sings people into a trance, those are more commonly known as Sirens though.

Theirs Valkyr, one of my favorite frames, which I believe is referring to the Valkyrie in yes again, Norse mythology. They're known as divine creatures in Norse mythology that bring the chosen who die with honor onto Asgard, the home of the Norse gods.

Zephyr is a Greek God, whose full name is Zephyrus, he's the Greek God of the west winds.

Nyx is another one of my favorites, one of the reasons? Greek mythology. Greek mythology is my favorite of all mythologies, and in them, Nyx is the name of the Goddess of night. And seriously... SHE'S AWESOME! While in Greek mythology there isn't huge amounts depicting her, when it does, it shows her as being incredibly powerful and extremely beautiful, even being feared by Zeus himself!

Edited by Creamie

Valkyr's Bastet helmet (or as I call it, the mega-holy, divine helmet of complete and utter adorableness) is a reference to the Egyptian cat-goddess Bastet. Valkyr's Kara helmet is a reference to a Valkyrie named... well... Kara, another interesting thing to note is that Kara means "punishment" in Polish, this along with the design of the helmet... makes me slightly uncomfortable.

Did you copy & paste the text? It'll save the layout from the website you copy it from.

I copy and pasted the name of the Shakespeare play as I couldn't remember it off the top of my head, but why would that change the entire post's layout?

Just about every Grineer name is a nod to Mythology.  For instance the Formorians are named after the Irish equivalent of Greek Titans and their ruler was defeated with a "sling stone" being used to put out his eye- thus Operation Sling Stone.  Their ruler happened to be named Balor, and now we have Balor Formorians coming at us.

Ah, I see. Anyway to fix it?

On other forums I just copy the whole text and change the color, font and font size but this forum has very limited options where you can't do that. You'll have to type the code for it yourself.

Typing [/color="white".]Text here[/color.] would make everything white again. Without the periods.

You could make all kinds of colors if you wanted to.

I don't really know any other workaround for it.

Edited by Amorax

Valkyr's Bastet helmet (or as I call it, the mega-holy, divine helmet of complete and utter adorableness) is a reference to the Egyptian cat-goddess Bastet. Valkyr's Kara helmet is a reference to a Valkyrie named... well... Kara, another interesting thing to note is that Kara means "punishment" in Polish, this along with the design of the helmet... makes me slightly uncomfortable.

Isnt "Kara" Turkish for black also?

On other forums I just copy the whole text and change the color, font and font size but this forum has very limited options where you can't do that. You'll have to type the code for it yourself.

Typing [/color="white".]Text here[/color.] would make everything white again. Without the periods.

You could make all kinds of colors if you wanted to.

I don't really know any other workaround for it.

Pull it out, paste it into a notepad (Literally just notepad, not word), and then paste it back into the forum. ^^

Edited by Velocikitty

Pendragon is a title given to Arthur and some other kings

Avalon is the island in the Arthur legend

Tengu helmet is obviously based on  the tengu and resembles their long distinctive nose,

Triton is poseidon's son and herald.

Ketos is a greek word for sea monsters  (or large fish)

Edited by DementedSheep525

Loki's default helmet looks like it would be the shape of Thor's hammer as depicted in Nordic jewelry, no?

Most people already know that Excalibur's Proto skin and the Glaive are from Dark Sector, but so are the designs for Frost and Trinity.

The Lotus is a very prominent symbol in buddhism, for example the white lotus represents mental purity while the purple lotus is more mystical and rare (information garnered from http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/b_lotus.htm)