[DE]Steve

Partnership Announcement

Why DE, why?

I'm really hoping this is only a boon for this already great game, but I'm skeptical...

perfect world is only getting 3% so they cant really do anything

• Upvote 1

Well thank you for telling us. I'm very worried about PWE because they have ruined a load of games in the past. But it seems like they don't get to vote about what happens in Warframe, so I'm a tiny bit relieved.... However the deal doesn't seem too legit.

Can someone write a summary of it in ENGLISH? I can't understand S#&$.

Well thank you for telling us. I'm very worried about PWE because they have ruined a load of games in the past. But it seems like they don't get to vote about what happens in Warframe, so I'm a tiny bit relieved.... However the deal doesn't seem too legit.

didn't you read the long thread on the first page? eh.. i can quote that for ya people..

Well, I don't speak for everyone, but I'm of a mind to wait and see how it pans out. It certainly isn't doom's day, but we have no idea what the long-term repercussions will be, if any.

If anything, this may potentially be beneficial for everyone. I hope that's the case.

So, my dear fellow Tenno, hold your horses, and let's approach this calmly. Ninja-style.

Edit:

I also see Mr. Steve Sinclair's name on it. 

I trust he knows what he's doing, and what the details of the deal are. Let's not jump to conclusions. It could be possible that it's for the benefit of the game at large. This is, after all, not just a product to them: It's their livelihood, and it's their, as Steve so aptly put it, "Labour of love". 

So chill. Don't read something into it that isn't there. 

Oh, and Steve.... Thanks for being so transparent with us. The fact that you've provided an online document providing the whole detail of the deal is a heartening sign of transparency that I didn't expect to see. I believe in this regard, I speak for many, in that we all hope this is for the best of Warframe, a game we've come to grow (perhaps almost unhealthily) attached to. 

May the portals to the Void never close, my friends;

May the secrets of the Orokin never expire; 

May we never run out of cloned soldiers,

Or poorly paid capitalist mercenaries-for-hire.

Viva la Warframe, Tenno.

Edit's Edit:

For the sake of those who find it slightly harder to read, allow me to attempt to summarise:

-61% of DE's share has been sold. 58% to Sumpo, 3% to Perfect World. 

-These have, apparently, no voting right within the company itself. 

-The reasoning for the acquisition is apparently because of Sumpo specifically being a chicken-industry. Their sales has been suffering because of recent... health issues, so to speak, in the People's Republic of China (henceforth, PRC). Thus, it seems pretty convincing, seeing that it is Sumpo with 58% of the share, and PW with only 3%.

-The acquisition is so that Warframe can be distributed in China. There's an issue of western media and western-made products making its way into China, as it's very tightly controlled by the government. However, there's one party here with one foot already in the door: Perfect World Entertainment. So, Sumpo probably is an investor of what they see as a booming industry, hoping to earn money "On the side", to alleviate their dropping revenue. Seems a rather wise choice, honestly speaking, considering China is a huge market, with relatively few products compared to the Western countries. 

tl;dr 

The summary is this: Sumpo needs to make money, something not related to chicken. It wants to invest in games, and thinks Warframe rocks, so they want to acquire DE's share. This acquisition is so that Sumpo can distribute Warframe in China exclusively. However, they can't do it by themselves, as chicken is all they know. So, they get Perfect World. 

Speculatively, nothing is going to change: Perfect World is what is probably a more complex version of a "Retailer". Basically, it just distributes a product or service, without being able to modify (at least, extensively and noticeably) what it sells. Probably they'll have their own promotions and stuff, though. But I don't know about that.

If there's any mistake, feel free to drop me a PM to correct my understanding. This is here for everyone's benefit.

Also, it seems like Digital Extremes has another F2P game in the works. WOOT WOOT! 

• Upvote 4

This guy hit the nail right on the head.

So DE is owned 58% by a branch of other companies - that sounds bad if that's all you've read.

Here's the key phrases some people are missing:

- Indirectly (They own a majority INDIRECTLY via the partnership)

- Perfect Online 3% (this was the greatest worry for people familiar with Perfect World Entertainment and its subsidiaries. they have only a lesser ownership and nothing more)

- Investors and partnerships have NO VOTING RIGHTS over the influence of DE's purchases, investments etc. (they cannot change any decisions made by DE).

So, the most invested company isn't the big bad people we're worrying about. The respective partnership has no voting rights over DE's decisions and this is almost certainly to do with the fact that this is an Indirect acquisition of their shares due to the act of investing in another company.

But by all means, continue your circle-jerk of ignorant 'R.I.P Warframe' comments, it's almost amusing to see no one can read the sheet for more than 2 minutes.

I'm content with this. If you want reason for concern, come back to me when the deal has changed, otherwise, carry on as usual and enjoy the game that (under this legislation) I can guarantee you, won't change.  

• Upvote 1

Hopefully we're getting the whole story here and not just the good parts.

Back when the whole feces tornado popped up a few moths ago I suspected that the aqcuisition was just so Warframe stuff could be sold in China. This appears to still be the case.

But that doesn't mean that I'm 100% comfortable with this acquisition. Seeing PW in anything makes me nervous. 

Lets just hope that PWE won't start pulling strings.

Because that can't go well for Warframe

Star Trek Online before PWE was not bad, but when PWE joined in, we got lock boxes, lots of power creep and more and getting more and more pushed towards spening three-digit sums in the game. That was also the reason why I dropped Star Trek Online last summer. 

From being a decent free2p game it degenerated into a moneygrabbing p2w abomination. 

If things change for the worse, expect us to abandon Liset. 

Edited by Lanieu

But that doesn't mean that I'm 100% comfortable with this acquisition. Seeing PW in anything makes me nervous. 

Steve still personally owns more shares than PW. And PW's shares don't even have voting rights attached. 

• Upvote 2

Hopefully we're getting the whole story here and not just the good parts.

Back when the whole feces tornado popped up a few moths ago I suspected that the aqcuisition was just so Warframe stuff could be sold in China. This appears to still be the case.

at least PW is doing a fine job publishing dota2 in china

(i understand the situation is different between valve and DE, but well i think 3% share is not that scary.)

(i understand the situation is different between valve and DE, but well i think 3% share is not that scary.)

Im worried about sumpo handing over S#&$ to pwe and pwe screws warframe over.

I'm more worried about the other 58%. I know that they aren't supposed to have any voting rights but I still don't feel very good about this. 

Like I said, just seeing PW's label on anything is enough to make me nervous. 

Im worried about sumpo handing over S#&$ to pwe and pwe screws warframe over.

Yes, the potential for indirect influence is what has me worried. 

Steve still personally owns more shares than PW. And PW's shares don't even have voting rights attached. 

We are aware of that.

But who knows when they might go and get themselves voting rights as well?

• Upvote 1

It always seemed to me like this was a deal to enable Warframe to be sold/played in China, and it seems that is exactly what is going on. DE get a big chunk of money, Sumpo get a new revenue stream that isnt chicken, and PWE get a new game to market in their home turf...id say everyone is a winner on this one :)

according to some guy, de could reissue currently held share to themselves as supervoters or something

I really hope DE screws PWE/Sump over instead of getting screwed.

Edited by RCOAS
  • Upvote 1

Well, it's now fair and simple: I won't put another cent in the game from now on, whatever happens. And talk everybody I know into doing the same.

A shame, you nearly got me with the prime armore set, but it's over now.

This whole steam-bound account bullS#&$ was a pain anyway....

Oh and by the way, the whole "it will work out for us, not like all the others" isn't really the best strategy...

Edited by Marnus

The real question you should all be asking is, who the heck is "Multi Dynamic Games"?

Why? because they are the ones who own everything and hold a controlling interest.

Google searches result in nothing, this appears to be a holding company that has been created explicitly for this deal and could be anyone.

The amount of @(*()$ idiots who didn't read at all is incredible. Sorry for the rudeness, just &!$$ed at how people are going crazy without checking out the deets.

Humanity is doomed, not warframe, humanity itself because of a lack of intelligence... :/

As others have said, PWE has no control. So no overreactions. You guys say you won't put in any more money? You probably didn't in the first place anyway.

Other than my sour statement however, let's hope the investment goes well.

I will keep Esham's - Closed Casket handy in case we need to play it at Warframe's funeral, but thankfully it should not happen unless something was in the contract that nobody knew about, which I highly doubt.

Edited by Semshol
  • Upvote 8

Well, it's now fair and simple: I won't put another cent in the game from now on, whatever happens.

Just stick around for a bit and see where this goes, ok?

Don't jump from the ship until you know for sure that it's sinking. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but Steve has never lied to us about stuff like this. I'm surprised he even came out and was transparent about what had happened. If he had anything to hide, or wasn't sure about his position, then I don't think he would have posted anything about it at all. For me, his transparency in this matter and his confidence about it are all the proof I need. The fact he posted sources to back him up only make me trust more.

Im pretty sure they have to disclose this stuff. I dont believe it was done by choice. The top paragraph on page 2 suggests that. I could be wrong though

Under the "LISTING RULES IMPLICATIONS" section, 2nd paragraph : 

Upon Closing, Digital Extremes will become an indirect non-wholly owned subsidiary of the Company 
and the common shares of Digital Extremes will be owned as to 58.0%, 3.0%, 26.1%, 2.8%. 3.9% 
and 6.2% by Multi Dynamic Games, Perfect Online, Ontario Ltd. 1, Ontario Ltd. 2, Ontario Ltd. 3 
and Digital Extremes Employee Share Trust, respectively; and the Class B Special shares of Digital 
Extremes, which carry no voting rights in Digital Extremes, will be owned as to 58.0%, 3.0% and 
39.0% by Multi Dynamic Games, Perfect Online and Ontario Ltd. 1, respectively.

Yes, but guess what? There are common shares AND Class B shares. DE has very little ownership of the common, voting shares now.

• Upvote 2

Well, it's now fair and simple: I won't put another cent in the game from now on, whatever happens. And talked everybody I know in the same way.

Oh and by the way, the whole "it will work out for us, not like all the others" isn't really the best strategy...

The deal @(*()$ is legit. Did you even read the source? What the F*** is wrong with steam-bound accounts? I bought a @(*()$ Syndana from it, and I'm satisfied with clicking one @(*()$ button and getting trading cards when i buy S#&$ and I can sell/buy legitimate @(*()$ stuff. Everyone is already really @(*()$ nervous. No need to make DE feel worse by telling them " F*** dis i quit " 

• Upvote 1

People need to stop worrying their arse offabout this. Anytime PW is mentioned, people flip their S#&$(for good reason tho). None of these companies have any direct influence in the game, meaning if we see any pay to win lockboxes, it wasnt because of PW, it was De's decision. I dont even see this happening tbh. We already have some miniscule form of it from weapon/frame slts, but its not really once since plat is a tradable currency. I spent 20 bucks one time, and nothing since then, and have a TON of things in my inventory

• Upvote 2

Yes, but guess what? There are common shares AND Class B shares. DE has very little ownership of the common, voting shares now.

People seem to be overly fixated on the Class B shares, however the document clearly states that Perfect world owns BOTH Common stock (3%) and separately Class B stock (also 3%).

The common stock has voting rights, so Perfect World DOES have voting rights, although 3% doesn't give you much leverage to really do anything.

• Upvote 4