Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts From A New Player

Whitakker

So, I've been playing the PC for about 2 months now.  Still running with my beginner Excalibur, and just trying to level up weapons and collect resources for other, better weapons.  My friend who got me into this game described playing this game as follows: "Go find something you think is cool (building frames/guns/etc.), and do it until you get bored, then go do something else."  Sounds pretty simple, I thought. 

How much more "deep" into the game can I get? I know there's a bunch of stuff that I don't see until I join a dojo(which I fixed earlier today), but for all you vets out there, what is in your own opinion the best way to enjoy this game?

I try to improve myself, i.e if yesterday I wall attacked a camera down and then melee'd the Zanuka, today I will do a double kill with a wall attack and melee the Stalker etc..

When I am dead bored I just do something else, other game or something. Don't exhaust yourself over this..also play for the fun of it, don't ever.EVER. try to burn through farming, unlike other games RNG will show the best of the best grinders that they've got nothing on Warframe.

I try to improve myself, i.e if yesterday I wall attacked a camera down and then melee'd the Zanuka, today I will do a double kill with a wall attack and melee the Stalker etc..

When I am dead bored I just do something else, other game or something. Don't exhaust yourself over this..also play for the fun of it, don't ever.EVER. try to burn through farming, unlike other games RNG will show the best of the best grinders that they've got nothing on Warframe.

This, while I seem to be mainly fortunate on RNG, I've been playing since Open Beta and I remember being psyched for the Reaper Prime when it came out last year. I never got a blade drop. A couple a weeks ago, I finally picked up a blade from a friend that had an extra.

Utilizing the combat mechanics is something that I am admittedly terrible at.  I never really think to use the environment to my advantage much, and its something I need to change about my playstyle, since this game rewards you for creativity in your fights.

This, while I seem to be mainly fortunate on RNG, I've been playing since Open Beta and I remember being psyched for the Reaper Prime when it came out last year. I never got a blade drop. A couple a weeks ago, I finally picked up a blade from a friend that had an extra.

Remember the good ol' days of Rubedo and Alloy Plate farming? Those were worse >.>

Utilizing the combat mechanics is something that I am admittedly terrible at.  I never really think to use the environment to my advantage much, and its something I need to change about my playstyle, since this game rewards you for creativity in your fights.

The game has a lot of room to cover when it comes to rewarding for creative playstyles but this is from an FPS player:

When you enter a room you look for these things in these order:

1. Threats (enemies, environment etc.)

2. Cover (you don't want to get shot for the next one)

3. Exits (running away isn't cowardly, it often is not foolish)

4. Anything else (things you can do to your advantage)

Those may or may not apply to this game however I recommend you get used to that kind of mentality because it easily and quickly transverses to many other applications, the analytical side also helps in real life ;)

*I am not sure how familiar you are with FPS games*

*I am not sure how familiar you are with FPS games*

Answer: not as familiar as most gamers, as FPS genre is probably my least played game genre.  I don't play CoD, Battlefield, etc. on principle, but I loved the heck out of Borderlands and Bioshock.  What separates the two in my mind is a sense of immersion in the characters and the world around you.  I can't see me getting into the characters of CoD or Battlefield, especially when those games aren't played for their world/story/characters.

Do whatever you find fun and adapt to the lesser fun elements, if necessary. This applies to any game, or any thing in life in general. Doing something you enjoy should not be considered as "work." If playing a game seems like "work," then that game just ain't your cup of tea.

My friend, you've only just reached the tip of the iceberg. You mentioned you've only played one Frame so far, so I'd work on acquiring others as it vastly changes up how you play the game (Depending on Frame choice of course). The same applies to weapons also. I'd honestly just dive in, and gobble up all the content you can. Keep working on unlocking the star map, as there are plenty of perks to that aside from the obvious.

I used to think that enjoying the game meant working as hard as you could to get those items the community dangled in front of your face. The ones they had labeled 'God Gear'. I did that. And the reward has been very satisfying for me.

...I feel that isn't quite enough.

Recently I have been running level 20ish missions with unranked gear, in part to continue to get mastery, but also in part that I had neglected to use these weapons. They aren't the elite top gear. Sometimes they are little better than a Lato.

Exploring game mechanics I had shunned from my playstyle has been a real eye opener. I had never coptered in this game. Sure, I used slide attacks, but never as mobility. I thought of it as cheap and a little sinful in its execution. It is... fun. I don't know what about it makes it fun, maybe it's the feeling of fluidity and gentle finese and skill. That gentle skill that I had been using for the past two weeks to kill my enemies in new and interesting ways.

I had been completing wall attacks, something hardly practical by the limitations of the controller, but pulling them off is so satisfying.
It's not that I am re-discovering the game. I think it is finally just relaxing in the game and allowing the fun come to me rather than me chasing after it.

That is my only advice that I can give to these veteran Tenno who had burnt themselves out, probably running many of the same setups, going after the highest level enemies.

Just relax. It's good to be competitive once in a while, but pushing your own skill constantly is boring and you fall into habits. Expand your habits.

TL;DR Stop ordering from the sandwich shop so much and go try a pizza for once.

Run anything that you find fun, and stick to it. Running Void missions is really fun imo, since everything is so flashy and you can even get some nice gear if you run the missions enough. Also, you should always be in a good, fun clan/alliance so that you don't end up alone and feel bored.

At a certain stage, you should try to become a trader. Not only will you be able to rack in a nice amount of plat over time, you may gain a surplus of plat and will have the chance to buy some nice cosmetics, which would make the game seem even more fun.

EDIT:

-snip-

^Perfect!

Edited by Yazeth

I just like to mow down hordes of grineer running up against me in every style i can think of. Its messy at times but its fun.

Also there's a S#&$load of weapons to use and they all feel unique if you ask me. Its nice trying all of them and get them to full potential.

You could also set your own goals. Trying to reach a certain wave in def or excavate a certain amount of cryotic by yourself. Its up to you. But if you dont feel like playing dont force yourself.

So, I've been playing the PC for about 2 months now.  Still running with my beginner Excalibur, and just trying to level up weapons and collect resources for other, better weapons.  My friend who got me into this game described playing this game as follows: "Go find something you think is cool (building frames/guns/etc.), and do it until you get bored, then go do something else."  Sounds pretty simple, I thought. 

How much more "deep" into the game can I get? I know there's a bunch of stuff that I don't see until I join a dojo(which I fixed earlier today), but for all you vets out there, what is in your own opinion the best way to enjoy this game?

Simply, do something that you like  - a special mission type maybe or try to make records for your own self, lets say how fast you can do a mission or with which weapon you can do a mission.

Or even do it without mods, just to find a new challenge in the things you did.

I just like to mow down hordes of grineer running up against me in every style i can think of. Its messy at times but its fun.

Also there's a S#&$load of weapons to use and they all feel unique if you ask me. Its nice trying all of them and get them to full potential.

You could also set your own goals. Trying to reach a certain wave in def or excavate a certain amount of cryotic by yourself. Its up to you. But if you dont feel like playing dont force yourself.

Indeed most weapons play different and should be modded differently. Getting bored of the cookie-cutter setup, try a new one yourself. Sometimes putting 1 or 2 formas on something opens up complete new approaches to modding and tactics.  There are a ton of mods frames and weapons in game with tons of different modding possibilities and you are free to try them all out no matter how silly they look.

A sure fire way of killing your own fun is to look up builds and copying them instead of being creative yourself.

Obviously, there's a bit of personal preference involved, but for me...

I'm in the process of trying to collect everything, including primes.  While it has the benefit of increasing mastery, it's also nice to try out new stuff.  I can't tell you how many times I thought something was my favourite frame or weapon, but then tried out new gear and fell in love with it.  My strategy is to build something, level it to 30, and if I like it, keep it.  If not, sell it to free a weapon or frame slot.  If it ends up being something I really really enjoyed, I'll toss in a potato and forma as needed.  Only thing I recommend is to try and not get caught up with the grind.  There was a time when I was still a new player, and I got a bit obsessed about trying to get everything as soon as possible.  I ended up getting a bit burned out, and had to take a Warframe break for a little while.  So now I just take my time getting things and playing with them; it's been much more enjoyable for me that way.

I've been trying to get my codex updated and completed, and have found it fun to see how stealthy I can be and get scans of enemies.  There's Helios of course, but taking scans manually is a lot more fun, challenging, and rewarding.

There's always the fun of trying to see how many waves you can achieve in defense, or how long you can survive in survival.  Not necessarily trying to get a specific reward, but just trying to see how far you can push yourself - either in a group or solo.  Or see if you can run things using only melee, or only a primary, or with/without certain mods, etc.  Make up your own limitations and challenges, and give them a go.  How quickly you can get through an exterminate, and so on.  I switch out my usual weapons/frames and revisit early planets, and try different combinations for curiosity or laughs.

I love the dojo.  IMO, it's a refreshing change from constantly running around being a vehicle of destruction.  It's nice to create something - to build and decorate as you want.  I LOVE the gardens.

In the void, I've been practising getting perfect runs of the secret challenge treasure rooms.  There's one I still can't quite unlock fully [consistently], but it's fun to try and if/when I do get everything unlocked in time, it's totally looting time!

Play around with different frames and weapons, unlock the map as you go, and see what appeals.  Most important - have fun!

Find some similarly new players to play with, beat every boss to make every frame, play derelicts and void (T1 void is very easy and you get keys just by doing 15 min of some easy survival on Mercury).  Playing with much stronger players will be boring cause they will kill everything before you can even shoot once. 

Survivals and Excavation are the 2 most fun modes (I would say the only fun modes) when you try to push it as far as you can, where teamwork starts to matter. 

You have a lot you can do for a long, long time.   

Each frame is like, in an MMO, starting a new character of another class.   Ignoring the prime versions and effective duplicates, there are still at least 10 very different frames which offer a very different perspective on the game.   

Weapons are also a different experience.    Its an entirely different game when you swap weapons sometimes --- whether its dealing with a spin up delay or a short range constant beam or trying to handle a swarm with a bow.  

you also have nightmare missions and other challenges to face.  

Perfecting the kill...try killing evey enemy you encounter in extermination mission without them noticing you and you are doing it as fast as possible...

or

Find something epic like the flying grineer lancer and the ??? prodman

Edited by paragasu

I go into missions and leech rewards/xp from others.

I always play using two fingers (enough to strafe/sprint/jump)

I don't really need to turn very much, the maps are particularly plain and easy to navigate if familiar.

To make it easier, I go to def and just click the attack key blindly at whatever direction the enemy comes from.

My playstyle : EFFICIENCY.

Running the best gear at all times.

Getting the most result for the least amount of work.

Playing as little as possible while keeping up all the good gear with forma and at max rank at all times.

Don't even need to play 30m a day to do this. 30m/day, 3-5 days a week? Ish. If I'm bored I'll go longer.