Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Few Noob Questions

iron-hands

Question

So yeah, been playing a few days now, wish I'd been playing longer, having a blast so far!

Had a few easy questions, sorta.

Right now I'm playing a mag, working towards a valkyr, just started crafting a dual ether to replace my cronus (since I have the stance for it).  Anyone recommend something better, or is it a decent fit?

Primary and secondary, I haven't given any attention to.  I'm using the starter braton and kunai.  I prefer high RoF guns unless I'm going for a sniper build, as my accuracy is pretty crap.  Can anyone make a suggestion for a better primary?  I have a grakata BP, how does it fare in comparison in terms of playability, beyond the stat differences?  Is it worthwhile, or should I just set my sights (heh) on a Karak?

My play style is a little aggressive, I tend to run up, fire off pull, and hack anythying that's left.  If it's a single target and close or medium, I'll hack, probably after sliding into it.  If it's long, I'll rifle, unless it's a pack then I'll try to close and fire off pull.

Thanks!  I don't think my accuracy is going to improve, been playing shooters since Doom was new, which is one of the reasons I'm digging this, accuracy isn't as big a deal when you're spraying everything or slicing up close.  The combat (and overall gameplay) really reminds me of the ME3 co-op stuff - I had a beast of a Vanguard in that - basically a character that charged in/through enemies causing damage, and if that didn't do it, finish them off with an SMG good and close.  I really find the Mag plays a lot like the Adept or Vanguard type classes, they served me well in that series.

Finally managed to score my Kubrow egg today - couldn't finish Earth until I did lol.  Gonna take forever to farm the rest of the parts, but that's 3 planets unlocked now.  Still mixed on the new rifle though, because my inventory slots are getting kinda full, but once I hit 30 with the mk1 I can just toss it to free up space, right?

Protips :) 

avoid the kubrow for now.  It costs you over 200k credits and 3k/day to get the thing going.  A sentinel costs 100k roughly (or less!) with no daily cost.  The sentinel gets credit for itself AND its gun for mastery rank.   Level up a dethcube instead for now, or one of the others (shade kinda stinks, the others are all pretty good). 

use any plat you have to get weapon slots and frame slots.   But in the long run you will want even more slots if you keep playing. 

Don't shrug off accuracy.   If you end a mission with a 30% accuracy, that means your dps is effectively less than HALF of what it COULD be with some practice.   You won't reach 100% accuracy in a real mission -- targets move out of your shots sometimes, and you occasionally shoot a barrel or container, and misses happen unless you are creeping along with a sniper rifle.   But you should be able to get between 60 and 75% hit ratio.  If you are above 60%, you are doing great, but if its below 50%, try to work on it.   You will thank me later -- some really nice guns have very limited ammo pools and late game enemy soak up hits so every round counts.  

Go ahead and join a clan.   A squad is 4 players --- a modest sized clan does not *need* you to fill in the 4th slot for high end missions that you would be unwise to attempt, but they can help you unlock planets (some missions just don't get any play outside of new ppl doing them one time) and grant access to some crafted frames & weapons & so on.   You can contribute later once you have better stuff, and then you can help other new people out as you were helped (pay it forward).    I got you a little bit on age -- wolf3d on a 386 -- but of the old ones heretic was my favorite. 

Edited by jonnin

Have no choice but to avoid the kubrow, not nearly enough cash for the incubator, let alone the maintenance costs, and definitely a long way off from the resources to build the incubator.  Same with the sentinel, no control modules or nano spores yet, I've only just started working on mars now, so it'll be a week at least until I can get out to a place that'll drop them

I'd forgotten about wolf3d!  Sector 7, Ken's Labyrinth, RotT.  Sad how many games I've forgotten over the years!  Memory's a bit foggy, Doom was the first that jumped out at me, I think that was the first big game I played with a proper sound card.  I remember installing it from floppies and beating it in a day.  I was disappointed.

But yeah, my accuracy even going back that far, it's not great, and I don't think much will change it, subtle fine and gross motor control issues I suspect but it's something I try to work on, or compensate for with weapons that aren't meant for precision (not counting sniper rifles of course, I'm fine with those).

For sure leave the kubrow for later. I would consider pushing towards a sentinel; they can be a huge help in DPS output or survivability. Shade saved my life so much back in the day before I learned to dodge knockdowns. And if you can get your hands on a Guardian mod, it'll easily double-triple your effective health when shield stacking (which most frames should do). Plus the 'free' or rather 'passive' mastery points.

But yeah, my accuracy even going back that far, it's not great, and I don't think much will change it, subtle fine and gross motor control issues I suspect but it's something I try to work on, or compensate for with weapons that aren't meant for precision (not counting sniper rifles of course, I'm fine with those).

You're gonna have fun with the Ignis. Pick up an Ember at around the same time for more OPness. I've regretted none of the 6 Forma that went into making my Ignis totally overpowered.

Don't shrug off accuracy.   If you end a mission with a 30% accuracy, that means your dps is effectively less than HALF of what it COULD be with some practice.   You won't reach 100% accuracy in a real mission -- targets move out of your shots sometimes, and you occasionally shoot a barrel or container, and misses happen unless you are creeping along with a sniper rifle.   But you should be able to get between 60 and 75% hit ratio.  If you are above 60%, you are doing great, but if its below 50%, try to work on it.   You will thank me later -- some really nice guns have very limited ammo pools and late game enemy soak up hits so every round counts.

Another thing that will cause greatly reduced ammo efficiency is continuing to fire into a corpse of an enemy as it falls. This is an especially sneaky mechanic because it will register as hits on the final screen, so you could not even notice you're doing it. Unless you're using a weapon with punchthrough or knockback, learn roughly how many shots it takes to kill each enemy (trial and error throughout each mission) and try firing in bursts of around that size. You should save a considerable amount of ammo, especially on weapons with travel time where you need to let go of the trigger even before the enemy is dead :P.

So yeah, been playing a few days now, wish I'd been playing longer, having a blast so far!

Had a few easy questions, sorta.

Right now I'm playing a mag, working towards a valkyr, just started crafting a dual ether to replace my cronus (since I have the stance for it).  Anyone recommend something better, or is it a decent fit?

Primary and secondary, I haven't given any attention to.  I'm using the starter braton and kunai.  I prefer high RoF guns unless I'm going for a sniper build, as my accuracy is pretty crap.  Can anyone make a suggestion for a better primary?  I have a grakata BP, how does it fare in comparison in terms of playability, beyond the stat differences?  Is it worthwhile, or should I just set my sights (heh) on a Karak?

My play style is a little aggressive, I tend to run up, fire off pull, and hack anythying that's left.  If it's a single target and close or medium, I'll hack, probably after sliding into it.  If it's long, I'll rifle, unless it's a pack then I'll try to close and fire off pull.

I would imagine your MR isn't high then. I would start off with a Karak first since it doesn't chew through ammo as fast as the Grakata (despise its insane crit + status chance), the Karak is more of a jack of trade weapons that should get you through the solar system pretty well.

If you can afford a forma or find one and you happen to be in a clan I go far a Dera, which primarily is effective against the Grineer, again careful on that trigger finger if you do make one, burns ammo just as fast as the Grakata. After that I go for the Soma since its damage output is insane due to the crit chance. 

Ended up going with the Grakata since I had the BP.  Wow, does it ever chew through ammo fast.  I'd never run out with the Braton.  Should have gone with the Karak, but I ended up getting an argon and a whack of control modules.  Even though I'm still pretty new, I built the incubator to prevent the argon from rotting, as well as the components for the Valkyr, and a catalyst.  Not enough leftover for the Karak lol.  Today I farm up a few more creds to complete the Valkyr, and save up for a sentinel while leveling it.

Biggest question now, is which sentinel?  I'm thinking deathcube.  Second question is credit farming - best sources, I get kinda nervous doing alerts. 

Dual Ethers work well enough. If you like dual weapons, once you have access to a dojo go for the Dual Ichors.

Grakata is good, if you have the right mods. The most effective build for it revolves around status chance. I would just go for the Karak.

Genius! Suggest a mastery rank 6 weapon to a new player... LOL!

Ended up going with the Grakata since I had the BP.  Wow, does it ever chew through ammo fast.  I'd never run out with the Braton.  Should have gone with the Karak, but I ended up getting an argon and a whack of control modules.  Even though I'm still pretty new, I built the incubator to prevent the argon from rotting, as well as the components for the Valkyr, and a catalyst.  Not enough leftover for the Karak lol.  Today I farm up a few more creds to complete the Valkyr, and save up for a sentinel while leveling it.

Biggest question now, is which sentinel?  I'm thinking deathcube.  Second question is credit farming - best sources, I get kinda nervous doing alerts. 

If you want a good anti-grineer assault rifle, go with the Tetra.  It's relatively inexpensive to build, and has really impressive puncture damage.  The fire rate is okay (can be boosted with fast trigger mod), but the clip is 60 and you carry 600 into battle (540 max, plus 60 in the gun).

As for which sentinel, I went with the wyrm because of the aesthetics.  Since you get in enemies' faces a lot, you might want to consider shade, since its ghost ability will cloak you when enemies are near, and so you can avoid taking fire until you're right on them.  Carrier is another good one for utility purposes because it will suck up resources in the stage, which is super useful for farming runs.  I'm building a Dethcube right now, and will let you know what I think of it when I have a chance to level it up some.  I have to admit, I like the appeal of the MIGHTY DETH LAZORS that it has, but we'll see how practical that is for me when I actually use it.

A minor complaint that I have is that Wyrm has a laser rifle that uses the same mods as my sniper/assault rifles, so if I'm trying to mod my rifle, I have to take the mod off my sentinel rifle and put it on my tenno rifle.  It gets obnoxious, and I hope they patch it out, but as it is, it can be annoying. That said, the Carrier Sentinel uses a shotgun, so if you want to get around that minor inconvenience, that's one way about it.

Vectis FTW (great sniper rifle, use with charged chamber).

A low tax rate dark sector can be a good source of credits, also watch out for dark sector conflicts. most of the time they don't offer any battle pay but sometimes an alliance will offer rather substantial pay (I've been paid as much as 400k for one battle, but that's kind of rare). Pay attention to their reserve because if they run out of cash before your battle concludes you won't get paid (note this is PVP and some frames like Ash are frustratingly broken to fight against as a new player so you might get rolled, but that's ok since you still get paid 1/2 for losing).

If you can get to Pluto Sechura (dark sector defense) always has people running it, this is a good zone for both leveling and farming credits (pending current tax rate).

Vectis FTW (great sniper rifle, use with charged chamber).

I love my Vectis.  I used a catalyst, and with +serration +impact, +slash, +puncture, +hush (Silencer), that thing does a mean ~500 per hit, and it's only going to get better as I level up Serration.  Its achilles heel is that it's a single round magazine (reload after every shot) so if your accuracy is for tripe, it may frustrate you.  Additionally: The Vectis requires insane quantities of rare resources (4 neurodes and 4 orokin cells, if I'm remembering properly).

The Vulkar, conversely, is a great anti-corpus weapon, with a high base-impact damage made better with serration and the mod that boosts impact.  A six-round magazine with a decent fire rate makes it a no-brainer for Venus and MAYBE Jupiter (but I had a hard time with it on Jupiter, honestly).

Again: I love my Vectis, but if you want to snipe and think your aim sucks, cut your teeth on Vulkar, first.  Once you're confident in one-shotting some baddies, and you take a liking to sniping, go for the Vectis.  If you decide sniping isn't for you, I would not recommend it.  Also I think you need to be rank 4 to get the Vectis.  Vulkar I think is Rank 2.

Ether was one of my favorite starting weapons. Good speed, and that slash damage is great. The best part is the slide attack, which does a LOT of damage, and is basically a 1-hit kill to light enemies.

As fpr you rifle, it's been said. I agree with the Grakata. Plus, that weapon loves status chance, so get some mods on that thing and you'll be firing procs with every shot.

Since hes new i assume he cant really get efficient status mods aka event mods. Just get a maxed point strike and vital sense in the grakata paired with a high level serration and you can melt your opponents in an instant. Just dont take it to high level content yet. Needs at least one forma and nice mods but its a great powerful weapon for its mastery rank level and gets you across the solar system.

Edited by sp33chle55

Dual Ethers work well enough. If you like dual weapons, once you have access to a dojo go for the Dual Ichors.

Grakata is good, if you have the right mods. The most effective build for it revolves around status chance. I would just go for the Karak.

yeah i also like the dual heat swords and just the plain zorens though i wish DE would fix the one sword on the dhs it looks weird like when they changed it from being a dagger they just stretched it out and left it

Since hes new i assume he cant really get efficient status mods aka event mods. Just get a maxed point strike and vital sense in the grakata paired with a high level serration and you can melt your opponents in an instant. Just dont take it to high level content yet. Needs at least one forma and nice mods but its a great powerful weapon for its mastery rank level and gets you across the solar system.

Yup, have nothing decent for rifle yet, or really any decent mods, just the typical commons like pressure point and vitality maxed out.  have serration so that'll be next

General question, Void missions.  I have 2-3 void keys, are those single use, or permanent?  I was invited to one over the weekend, had a blast.  Did another Sunday night and I'm not sure what happened, but immediately after round 6 started, mission failed.  Not even 2 seconds had gone by.  One person voted to leave, and then left anyway when they were out voted, does that trigger a loss?

Those keys are single use only. But you lose the key only if the mission is a success. So losing doesn't hurt.

Usually if you vote on leaving you leave and the one voting for staying stays. Dont really know how it behaves if the host sharing the key leaves. Didnt happen to me yet.

But wow... You got vitality maxed out? Mine is still r7 and its getting dusty. Haha :-))

Edited by sp33chle55

Those keys are single use only. But you lose the key only if the mission is a success. So losing doesn't hurt.

Usually if you vote on leaving you leave and the one voting for staying stays. Dont really know how it behaves if the host sharing the key leaves. Didnt happen to me yet.

But wow... You got vitality maxed out? Mine is still r7 and its getting dusty. Haha :-))

Hmm, yeah not sure how I feel about single use keys, but it makes sense.  I really like the level design aesthetic, so shiny.

Maxed, I thought I did, I'll need to check that, but I know I've put a lot into it regardless, it's one of the few useful mods I have so far, since my survivability is the priority a the moment

But it shouldnt be a loss. Or am i wrong?

Those keys are really simple to get, iron-hands. If you can make it 15min into a survival you get a guaranteed one, even simpler on the early excavation missions. T3 and t4 keys are a tad harder to get, because enemy lvls are higher.

Edited by sp33chle55

The game code isn't smart enough to know it's about to hose itself. A void or derelict mission is not allowed to continue unless the key user is present to prevent abuse where a player could start a void for others then leave without his key being consumed.

When you vote to leave and everyone else doesn't you disconnect after the vote is over; If you were the person that opened the void then no one else is allowed to stay so you leaving forces everyone else to disconnect. As far as the game is concerned these are separate events that happen in sequence which is why everyone that voted to stay gets burned.

Know who used the key to start the game, this persons continued participation is required. If that person is leaving be sure you go with them even if you disagree with their choice.

Don't worry about losses. They're not a big deal in the greater scheme of things. It's going to happen, so don't sweat it.

The point about the keyholder is a good one. If you can keep track of them, then it's all to the better in case they do bail early. If you get some resources you needed and can't remember who started the run, then bail if someone else does. Just a matter of prioritizing what you want from the void mission.

Although this is supposedly changing (soon...), if YOU see something you want from a void defense, don't be afraid to leave. Just do it. It might irritate the others, but you're new and have to consider your own progression. They'll get over it.

But it shouldnt be a loss. Or am i wrong?

Those keys are really simple to get, iron-hands. If you can make it 15min into a survival you get a guaranteed one, even simpler on the early excavation missions. T3 and t4 keys are a tad harder to get, because enemy lvls are higher.

Ah cool.  Still a pack-rat I guess.  I'm the kind of player that ends Resident Evil with 500 heal herbs and a billion rounds of specialized ammo :P