Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Mods Make The Game More Boring.

Innocent_Flower

Game is set up so that there's a "right way" (as much damage as possible) and a wrong way (stuff related to not doing as much damage as possible) At least if you want to play at a high level.

The game shouldn't be like that. Mods should be about preferences and tradeoffs. 

Modding the "right way" leaves you standing around. Even the lato can match the dps of boltor prime when everything is dead. JS

My preference is doing the most dmg >.>. The trade off of choosing utility is often lower dps (by 20-40%), which I choose not to . The trade off is built in because there's only 8 mod slots. The mods themselves don't necessarily have to have trade offs like corrupted mods. It'd be silly to do that; nobody likes double negatives, just look at how often a mods like Hallow Point gets used.  Hallow Point would be somewhat useful for some weapons if you had like 11-12 mod space to use it.

The unique utility mods that you want can be seen as the weapons themselves.  As in, the weapon is the 9th mod which has significant impact on ones performance. Of course, more utility mods would certainly be welcome, but what's missing specifically you think? So many threads demand change but fail to deliver useful practical change. They offer drastically wild concepts that'd throw balance out the window even more than it already is. For instance, instead of punch through type mod for groups, one could maybe design flak cannon- causes 3m radius aoe blast dmg at the expensive of a massive single target loss (-60%).  What would be an appropriate dmg reduction? Would such a mod  be allowed to dwarf thunderbolt affects? Would such a mod ruin the fun for anyone else because the aoe would just steal all the kills until t4?  If you want that aoe, just use an aoe weapon .

I know many of my post focus on the finer details of maximizing performance, but right now the truth is it really doesn't mater yet, and most likely probably never will (for the majority of game play).  All the obtainable rewards don't require perfection by any means.  Such game design decisions make the game extra pug friendly and more importantly, speaking specifically to this thread, allows for utility mods and using a preferred weapon instead of maximizing dps/performance without penalizing the player/group too much.  

Edited by Quizel

Difference in gun power never bothered me.  If it takes 1 second or 2 or less to burn them with a flamethrower, it's still fun burning them.  About the only exception I could make is non-heavy enemies not dying in 1 charged arrow, rocket, sawblade, etc.  Then it gets annoying.

However melee weapons are another story.  It's tough to find the sweet spot (generally speaking) - where you don't 1-shot enemies, but you can still kill them within a combo.  I guess it's not a big deal.  Just have to run 1-2 damage mods or less all the way to pluto.  For bosses and higher level content, channeling / not channeling is a good way of keeping them both fun and effective.

As for weapon build diversity, I feel like if they just keep adding in mods and buff the terrible ones we'll get there sooner or later.

Edited by SleepingSentry

arnt all games like this ? i dont know of one game that is not like this

VANQUISH comes to mind. Its not a game that requires damage upgrades to take out higher level enemies. Enemies don't "level" the same way they do here, they just come in greater varieties and use more interesting tactics. Or, synergize with existing enemies.

If you do get upgrades they are all utility like larger mag, faster lockon, farther zoom, greater firing rate.

modding in warframe is all about damage and i hate that, since it does not give any customization, its all about power, if you find uses for non damage mods then good for u (like silence mods).

Mods should be about customization and not all about damage.

If mods verent about damage then enemys would not need to scale all the time. (then it would come to the enemy desighn)

I agree, I feel like pure damage scaling should just be inherent of the weapon itself rather than mod based, it would leave more room to be creative in weapon modding.

But I would disagree. Pure damage scaling with the weapon; you wouldn't be able to take it back to lower levels without dominating. Better to have the enemy not scale with health (so you can kill them any time) and have their levels be relating to accuracy/firerate/number of times they do things like throw grenades. That way you can kill them at any rank, but you're going to have an easier time of it with mods. 

I don't know where your trying to get here. 

When you try to explain the more damage thing and how the game just becomes boring your point isn't clear. 

Every video game has a way to make your character more powerful. If video games didn't have a way to become better and stronger then you would be doing the same thing over and over again with no change and no real reward. Its a video game and its a lot of fun. 

Also there are mods inside the game that have amazing enhancements to your weapon but also have terrible defects to your warframes health, speed, power, and skills. Its the game logic. 

Warframe is a video game that has a lot of things in common with other games but one thing that others don't have is a strong support squad that listen to people and help them out. the game is amazing and i know that a lot of people will agree with that.