Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Silva & Aegis Needs Something

Vargras

Despite probably being one of the cooler melee weapons we have (it's the only weapon with a shield right now), Silva & Aegis tends to be a disappointing pick. Aside from the fun factor, there's just not much going for it -- low damage and extreme stamina drain when blocking don't help. There's a number of ways we could potentially change this, other than simply increasing the damage on it.

1. Stamina Drain

For a while after it was first implemented, the Silva & Aegis was actually bugged and wouldn't drain any stamina at all while blocking. In spite of this, however, it was a unique feature, and it made sense -- a weapon with poor damage (and a shield) is given superior blocking capabilities compared to all other weapons. It wasn't unreasonable for it to have infinite block either, given that you're just holding a shield and not actively swatting every single bullet out of the air.

I'm not asking to have infinite block back once more, but the stamina drain while blocking should be drastically reduced. The first time I took it into a mission and was able to block all day, I was reminded of the N7 Paladin from Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, and how I could put down my shield to protect allies behind me while they limped to cover or revived someone. If the Silva & Aegis is going to continue to have poor offensive capabilities, let's instead increase its defensive capabilities.

2. Passive Armor Increase

Going off this, we could try something else -- equipping the Silva & Aegis also grants a passive armor increase. No other melee weapon (or any weapon, for that matter) does this, and it be possible incentive to use it for some players who highly value armor, such as Frost, Valkyr, or Oberon.

3. Retribution

You know that really bad Warframe mod no one ever uses? The one that has a chance to deal electrical damage every time you take shield damage from a melee attack?

Tweak it. Set it up so it's now a chance to deal electrical damage every time you're hit while blocking, and yes, that means both melee and ranged hits. Allow it to be put on the Silva & Aegis. Bam, Retribution has a new lease on life.

Just holding a shield wouldn't give you more protection (well if someone was stupid enough to target the shield it would but never mind that). You need to actively block to gain the benefit of having it. I vote no passive armor increase. Maybe when you are blocking it could buff your armor (a bit) but not just standing. 

1. Stamina Drain

For a while after it was first implemented, the Silva & Aegis was actually bugged and wouldn't drain any stamina at all while blocking. In spite of this, however, it was a unique feature, and it made sense -- a weapon with poor damage (and a shield) is given superior blocking capabilities compared to all other weapons. It wasn't unreasonable for it to have infinite block either, given that you're just holding a shield and not actively swatting every single bullet out of the air.

I'm not asking to have infinite block back once more, but the stamina drain while blocking should be drastically reduced. The first time I took it into a mission and was able to block all day, I was reminded of the N7 Paladin from Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, and how I could put down my shield to protect allies behind me while they limped to cover or revived someone. If the Silva & Aegis is going to continue to have poor offensive capabilities, let's instead increase its defensive capabilities.

This one I like.

Not muhc fan of the others.

i like all of these ideas. and i do think that an increase to armor is warranted. (say 20? -- increased by steel fiber)

additionally, and slightly off topic, but the silva (sword) seems slightly too short, needs to be about 10% longer, it seems stumpy currently.

I support this idea, if only because I believe that we need WAY more 'inequivalent' weapons in the game; that is, weapons that have some kind of benefit to them, outside of the simple damageXspeed equation that this game has degenerated into. I was interested to see how the shield would perform, when I heard that one was making it into the game. Turns out, it doesn't perform at all.

Also, what's the deal with the Silva/Aegis being only elemental damage? I'm sure the devs realize how detrimental it is [elements can be added to physical damage weapons, but physical damage can't be added to elemental weapons]. This is part of why the weapon is as low on damage as it is.