Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Ability Mods: Coming Changes

[DE]Rebecca

1)  Most frames only have 1 good ability and 3 situational and/or useless abilities.  

Wrong. Usually only 1 ability is useless. Do not forget, DE can buff some weak abilities after all.

I always use 2 or 3 abilities. And these changes can solve some problems with lack of mod slots.

Do not be one-button-spammer. :P

And even if you want to use only 1 ability (and corrupted mods) you still can make your build around it (8 slots + aura will be enough).

But you will also keep other 3 abilities that could be still helpful.

Edited by AntLion

Please apply those changes to sentinel and pet ability mods as well.

There might be a slight problem with applying them as innate to sentinels, since some players may prefer to disable one of the precepts temporarily. Granted, it would usually be the attack precept, but back when Helios was bugged it was pretty neccessary to disable the scanning precept to keep it from wasting all the codex scans on trivial stuff.

In regards to the attack precept though, that could probably be solved if DE could make it so sentinels could be equipped without any weapon on at all.

On the ability slots being removed and converted, please tell you will be using a nice little script and we don't have to polarity swap all of our builds..

removedSlots = 0

convertedSlots = 0

zenurikSlots = 0

reimbursedForma = 0

for (slot : slots) {

if (slot.getPolarity() == Polarities.ZENURIK) {

zenurikSlots++

if (removedSlots < 2) {

removeSlot(slot)

removedSlots++

} else {

slot.removePolarity

convertedSlots++

if (convertedSlots > 2) {

Player.reimburseForma()

reimbursedForma++

}}}}

if (removedSlots < 2) {

if (slot.getPolarity() == null) {

removeSlot(slot)

removedSlots++

if (removedSlots == 2) {

break

}}}}

if (removedSlots < 2) {

removeSlot(slot)

Player.reimburseForma()

reimbursedForma++

removedSlots++

if (removedSlots == 2) {

break

}}}

Player.sendMail(message, frame, removedSlots, convertedSlots, reimbursedForma)

So yeah, some people might have forma-ed in more ability slots, mistakes happen and because you can.. please try to reimburse them too. This method should remove all Zenurik polarities, keep 8 slots, keep polarities people forma-ed from abilities and ignore all swapping done.. obviously i'm no game dev and this is java, but you all get what i mean.

edit: Actually it will require swapping for people with less than two skill/no polarity slots since the first (up to) two slots will be removed in that case (and Forma reimbursed), which could lead to losing the wrong polarities, but at least it would lower the impact for the bulk of the player base and put it in the hands of very experienced Warframe players.

Edited by BradKing

I don't get why people are going hysterical over this.

Cause the way I see it, it makes frame customization better.
This is how I understand it.

-NO MORE ABILITY MODS
Meaning, the 8 remaining mod slots are solely for ability/frame buff mods. So why you guys complaining about not having enough slots?

This also means that all abilities will now be equipped in every frame, without us sacrificing a slot for it.

-- Instead of having your traditional 2slots-ability mod+8slots-frame/ability buff mod, you now get 8slots-frame/ability buff mod and 4 innate abilities equipped.

Don't you realize this system made it better? Like example, I know very well that switch teleport is awesome. But I have to sacrifice it so I can put on a better mod. Now that all 4 abilities are no longer have to be equipped as mods, then there is no need to sacrifice this ability mod since it isn't a mod anymore but an innate skill.

About the worries regarding the formas spent on frame ability mod slots, I don't think that the devs are stupid to mess this up. This is their job, they know what to do, stop your panic.

This is a really good change imo. 

P.S.

The ability slots will now be changed to blank. Giving those frames you haven't polarize yet a few more mod points.

Edited by HollowFrame

There are frames that have only one really useful skill yes (for example Nekros), but I've found that many Warframes do work well if all 4 skills are used (recent frames like Hydroid and Mirage do this quite well).

As someone who believes in using all of a Warframe's skills due to being a mostly solo player, using only a single skill for the majority of Warframes is just gimping yourself imho, and makes the game less fun in general. Hence why this change in removing abilities from the mod system is extremely welcome for me, since it allows me to finally be able to make as many mod combinations as I wish without having to sacrifice any of my powers.

Uh, not quite sure if being a solo player is the reason for wanting all 4 skills. I regularly solo with the Excal and Radial Blind only, and I never saw any reason to need the other 3 skills much.

Slash Dash

As a mobility tool, I'd use it only if it came free, because coptering is free.

As a damage tool, slide attacking (ground copter) into enemies with channelling on and combo meter active can get you much higher damage at lower energy cost.

Super Jump

As a mobility tool, I find Tail Wind to be a superior vertical ascender, and  in most corridors all you do is smack into a ceiling. It's supposed to get invisibility later, but lets wait and see shall we?

Damage- none whatsoever unless you're packing Heavy Impact. Which is going to eat up a mod slot, just to justify equipping an ability slot? And the damn thing doesn't always trigger right anyway.

Radial Javelin

Most times you'll end up with wasted javelins hitting obstacles, even if you do a super jump immediately prior. Also, it's a relatively lacklustre 4th skill. Supposedly, a future update will give it auto-tracking so we won't get blocked shots, let's wait and see shall we.

Right now, there's not much gimping involved in running an RB only excal build. The pros (primarily mobility-based) are pretty much negated by the waste of valuable mod slots that could be used for much better things, including mobility mods like Quick Rest and Marathon to provide additional stamina that can also be used in swordfighting (manual blocking with reflection gets very tricky at late stages since heavy gunners can drill right through Marathoned stamina reserves into your HP if you stand still and let it happen), but it sure is fun. If you meet more than 1 heavygunner though, you'd better pop an RB.

The same applies for most frame's initial attack ability - they have some damage and some status proc, but is it worth sacrificing a mod slot for them when your guns could probably kill the enemies just as dead, and perhaps with equal amount of proc chance? Put in this light, it's not a question of "Are these abilities useful?" in which case the answer would be yes, but more a question of, "Do these abilities justify equipping them over other available mods?" And the answer to that would depend on your own judgement and what other alternative mods you have available.

I can't believe all the people who are posting in these main categories:

1. "Wait, so now we're going to have 6 mod slots + aura?"  No, there will be 8 + aura.  Read the freaking post.

2. "But what if I forma'd an ability slot?  What about all the time I wasted?"  MOVE YOUR POLARITIES out of the ability positions.  It's not that hard to figure out.

3. "But I don't slot more than 1 power. THIS CHANGE SUCKS!  I HATE DE!!!"  Get over it.  The Warframes were designed to have all four abilities, so really you're gaining 2 mod slots.  People back this up with Desecrate Nekros, Molecular-Prime Nova, and Radial-Blind Excalibur, among other things.  Desecrate Nekros should at least have Terrify on as a panic button.  Nova should have Antimatter Drop for when you just need to nuke a group of enemies before they murder you.  Radial-Blind Excalibur should at least have Slash Dash to get out of corners.  This change isn't nerfing the "high end" (spam-one-ability noobs).  It's giving extra slots to anybody who plays Warframe as Warframe instead of some generic shooter.

Personally, I love getting the extra slots and removing ability mods.  I won't have to decide between Crush and Bullet Attractor on my melee Mag.  I can use Freeze with my standard Frost build now.  I can have Super Jump and Radial Javelin on Excalibur without messing up my build.  No more "I wish I had Roar/Stomp right now" when I'm using one of my Rhino builds.  You people need to stop complaining and rejoice in the fact that the long-awaited time has come; abilities will no longer be in the drop tables.

The consequence of changing to 1 aura + 8 slots is we really don't need to forma the warframe as much as current setups. Normally, the total mod capacity of a frame with orokin reactor (60) + aura bonus(14) is 60 + 14 = 74 points. With 8 mod slots, average point per each slot is (74 / 8) = 9.25. And don't forget that each frame comes with as least 2 polarity slots! In nearly all kinds of build, adding 2 or 3 extra polarity slots is more than enough.

I don't get why people are going hysterical over this.

Cause the way I see it, it makes frame customization better.

This is how I understand it.

-NO MORE ABILITY MODS

Meaning, the 8 remaining mod slots are solely for ability/frame buff mods. So why you guys complaining about not having enough slots?

This also means that all abilities will now be equipped in every frame, without us sacrificing a slot for it.

-- Instead of having your traditional 2slots-ability mod+8slots-frame/ability buff mod, you now get 8slots-frame/ability buff mod and 4 innate abilities equipped.

Don't you realize this system made it better? Like example, I know very well that switch teleport is awesome. But I have to sacrifice it so I can put on a better mod. Now that all 4 abilities are no longer have to be equipped as mods, then there is no need to sacrifice this ability mod since it isn't a mod anymore but an innate skill.

About the worries regarding the formas spent on frame ability mod slots, I don't think that the devs are stupid to mess this up. This is their job, they know what to do, stop your panic.

This is a really good change imo. 

P.S.

The ability slots will now be changed to blank. Giving those frames you haven't polarize yet a few more mod points.

Uh, close, but not quite 100% accurate description of whats happening.

Right now, you have 10 mod slots on your warframe which you can choose whatever you want to put in them. You could even take out every single ability mod and devote all 10 mod slots to make your Excal the melee powerhouse his name suggests (though i would recommend at least leaving Radial Blind in for emergencies), with good health, shields, damage mitigation and restoration and a fair-sized energy reservoir for Channelling the fear of Lotus into your foes and health right back into your veins.

DE's change will leave you with 8 usable mod slots. That's 2 choices less that you can make. Sure, you would get 4 abilities for free, but if you only ever used one of them, then your build is short an ability. Or, in Excal's case, you were going for a no-ability melee build, you're down by 2 mods.

DE's taken away a degree of freedom in this matter by basically saying: "these are your frame abilities, you'll be going out with them no matter what your personal preferences are."

If you're the type to always equip all 4 abilities on every frame, then yes, its a net gain for you. Quite a large number of players leave off at least 1 skill though. And a significant number run frames with only 1 and I personally play no-ability excal from time to time to have fun.

While I like ability mods being removes from the drop table, I will not be able to activate an Ultimate on some of my Warframes withot either removing Blind Rage or swapping out a survivability mod to fit Streamline or Fleeting Expertise.

As an example in this build: http://t.co/Kob6VTt0Yc

Due to Valkyr only getting 150 energy pool at level 30 I cannot utilize a Max Power Strength Hysteria unless I slot an efficiency mod.

Is there a chance that Blind Rage could gain 5% power efficiency so that with Max Power strength an Ultimate would cost 150power instead of 155?

This would allow players to still have Max Power Strength and be able to cast an Ultimate at level 30 without an efficiency mod slotted, on Warframes where the energy pool hits 150 at level 30. (Easier to adjust Blind Rage than to enlarge all the 150 energy pool Warframes. IMO)

1. "Wait, so now we're going to have 6 mod slots + aura?" No, there will be 8 + aura. Read the freaking post.

2. "But what if I forma'd an ability slot? What about all the time I wasted?" MOVE YOUR POLARITIES out of the ability positions. It's not that hard to figure out.

3. "But I don't slot more than 1 power. THIS CHANGE SUCKS! I HATE DE!!!" Get over it. The Warframes were designed to have all four abilities, so really you're gaining 2 mod slots. People back this up with Desecrate Nekros, Molecular-Prime Nova, and Radial-Blind Excalibur, among other things. Desecrate Nekros should at least have Terrify on as a panic button. Nova should have Antimatter Drop for when you just need to nuke a group of enemies before they murder you. Radial-Blind Excalibur should at least have Slash Dash to get out of corners. This change isn't nerfing the "high end" (spam-one-ability noobs). It's giving extra slots to anybody who plays Warframe as Warframe instead of some generic shooter.

Personally, I love getting the extra slots and removing ability mods. I won't have to decide between Crush and Bullet Attractor on my melee Mag. I can use Freeze with my standard Frost build now. I can have Super Jump and Radial Javelin on Excalibur without messing up my build. No more "I wish I had Roar/Stomp right now" when I'm using one of my Rhino builds. You people need to stop complaining and rejoice in the fact that the long-awaited time has come; abilities will no longer be in the drop tables.

I agree we should be thrilled to not have to worry about no longer having to ditch Warframe abilities, but as I showed in the screenshot above - I cannot move the polarities around to clear what were the original 4 ability slots as I have forma'd them out. (Mainly so I could have the versatility to run this Infested build: http://t.co/YZc6hoNEpl)

- I am pretty sure I am not the only player in this predicament.

Also as I pointed out in the top of my post, due to how I built around 1 power, losing the 2slots means I have an efficiency issue that will prohibit me from using an Ultimate on some of my Warframes. A small tweak to Blind Rage's efficiency would fix that but only if DE addresses that issue.

"What if I Forma’d/Polarized the 2 slots being removed?

Any Forma spent on Polarizing these 2 slots will be reimbursed."

-May we be reimbursed the 20 platinum per Forma instead. (Yes I paid for most of my formas) I most likely would not have spent the plat on Forma and instead would have purchased some Slots or Catalysts/Reactors....

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi

3. "But I don't slot more than 1 power. THIS CHANGE SUCKS!  I HATE DE!!!"  Get over it.  The Warframes were designed to have all four abilities, so really you're gaining 2 mod slots.  People back this up with Desecrate Nekros, Molecular-Prime Nova, and Radial-Blind Excalibur, among other things.  Desecrate Nekros should at least have Terrify on as a panic button.  Nova should have Antimatter Drop for when you just need to nuke a group of enemies before they murder you.  Radial-Blind Excalibur should at least have Slash Dash to get out of corners.  This change isn't nerfing the "high end" (spam-one-ability noobs).  It's giving extra slots to anybody who plays Warframe as Warframe instead of some generic shooter.

Lol, look at the "pro" here. Radial Blind Excalibur should at least have Slash Dash to get out of corners? That's so noob.

As for playing Warframe as Warframe instead of some generic shooter, why not try out No-ability Excal modded for max melee (with channelling, reflection and stamina optimised)? Sword Melee Alone and screw those abilities (I personally prefer Orthos Prime, so...). Yes, it's hard, but remember, you can block while sliding towards the enemy, and that's what the enhanced stamina is for, to keep you alive till you can ram the pointy end into the other guy. Then life strike him and his buddies for health, while the blast procs keep them face down on the floor.

I mean, if only using 1 ability (in emergency situations) is cheap, imagine how noob it is when you need to run around with 4 of them. Just seems backwards to me to be saying "hah! you need a crutch, you're useless!" then go around bragging about how you need/like using FOUR of the bloody things yourself. Or that it's not really warframe if you run missions without all your abilities. So all those Lotus weapon-only tests were what? Brief jaunts into Battlefield 4? Did Lotus hax their servers through a wormhole in the timespace continuum or something and decide that it'd be OK to have Tenno rest themselves in Generic Shooter-land for a bit while pretending this was Warframe?"

Tenno are master warriors that can kill with anything, not just our abilities. Hell, even when we get nabbed by some cyberdog reject and stripped of ALL our abilities and weapons, we'll still be able to ram our fists so far down Corpus throats their poop will have our handprints embedded in it.

I use 2 abilities builds because I want to have a bit of flexibility. But I really wish to understand WHICH slots will be removed to know if it's possible to swap polarities and be able to don't need to forma'd and level up things AGAIN. 

So please, give us an answer. 

I use 2 abilities builds because I want to have a bit of flexibility. But I really wish to understand WHICH slots will be removed to know if it's possible to swap polarities and be able to don't need to forma'd and level up things AGAIN. 

So please, give us an answer. 

I'm guessing they will update this thread later, like what they did with the sniper weapon changes thread. Might have to wait till the weekend is over though. Let them have some rest first, lol.

All Warframes will now have a total of 9 slots: 1 for Auras and 8 for Mods. None of the Mod Slots will have the “Ability Polarity" because of the removal of Ability mods. The 4 previous Ability Polarity slots have been changed to 2 unassigned slots.

What about my existing Ability Mods?

All existing Ability Mods won’t be rendered useless - they will be converted into Fusion Cores. Stay tuned for more information on the specifics of this conversion.

What if I Forma’d/Polarized the 2 slots being removed?

Any Forma spent on Polarizing these 2 slots will be reimbursed.

1.0) What if I had only one ability on about half of the frames I'm using? (Nekros, Nova, Vauban ...) I had 9 slots for mods and 1 for ability... Actualy you only need one ability on most frames most of the time, for example: 

- Loki invisibility build: max invisibility (only 1 ability), the rest are ability cost/energy max/cast speed/continuity, and like redirection mod for shields (some protection against random damage)

- Loki disarm build: max range disarm (invisibility can still be useful but it's not required), minimum cost, casting speed, and like a vitality module (protection against some random damage)

- Nekros: it doesn't need any abilities except desecrate at all, but it requries a lot of slots for survival/constant casting of the desecrate, actualy the true purpose of nekros is pressing button 3 and jumping(so you will slightly move while casting an ability)

1.1) Some ppl removed all abilities from some frames, for example:

- clan mate of mine removed all ability polarisations from Saryn, and used all 10 slots for mods

- I have a Valkir loadout without any abilities, used it a lot on one of the last events (with the gates and stuff), and that slots realy helped

1.2) Which slots are going to be removed from the warframes? 1+2 or 9+10 or 1+6 or 5+10 or different?

2.0) All ability mods will be converted into fusion cores?

What fusion cores I'll get for:

- rank 0 common ability

- rank 3 common ability

- rank 0 uncommon ability

- rank 3 uncommon ability

- rank 0 rare ability

- rank 3 rare ability

How about rank 1-2 ability mods?

3.0) Polarizing a slot doesn't just use a forma.

To polarize something you need to get it to lvl30, then put forma on it, then get it to lvl30 again, and you do that multiple times (frames usualy require 2-5 formas(remove 2 abilities, change aura polarity if required, polarize 1-2 other ability/empty slots), weapons 3-6 formas (based on default polarities, in total you usualy need 5-6 polarised slots on weapons))... It takes a lot of time, and "reimbursing" only forma doesn't cover that. :| Sometimes it's easyer to get a forma than get a frame to lvl 30.

3.1) Polarizing frame slots is going to be more complicated if abilities are unlocked based on the warframe lvl. For example:

- I could get a rank 0 vauban, put in maxed vortex, maxed streamline and rank0 contiuity, do 15-20 waves on sechura with this to get vauban to lvl 10-15, then add some other mods (constitution, flow, fleeting expertise...) and do 30+ waves runs to get it to lvl30, and then reset it with forma again. Now - to get a vauban to lvl30 i will have to find another vauban which is lvl30 already?

- I could get a rank 0 mirage, put in maxed prism, add a streamline mod, maybe something esle for energy max or something and go on sechura do 5-10 waves to get some lvls then add like mirror image mod/more power effeciency/continuity/ability damage and so on...

And it's similar with most other frames - you usualy begin with 1 ability and few mods to buff it...

So now polarizing slots on the frames is going to be even more difficult than it used to be. 

P.S. It's nice to see that ability mods are going to be finally removed, also nice to see that they're going to be "built-in" and won't use slots anymore. I'm just unhappy about how it's done.

P.P.S. There are so many good mods, that doesn't worth installing because there are many mods that you REALY need... Like warframes with useful abilities usualy require to add 3-8 mods that buff abilities, and there is just no space left after buffing abilities... If there was few additional mod slots where you only can install stuff like elemntal resistances, stamina regen, max stamina, bleedout reduction and such things, those mods could become useful... :|

Edited by RadYogh

You can switch the polarities to slots that aren't the frame abilities dedicated one...

It should solve your issue...

You didn't get what I said and what they are doing with this update. So stay silent because your lack of intelligence makes me sick.

I suspect this thread is gonna get cleaned quite soon.

I really like this change, is it going to be in U15? Rebecca hinted at it...

... A new system is coming with our next major update,...

Edited by Dualice

1. "Wait, so now we're going to have 6 mod slots + aura?"  No, there will be 8 + aura.  Read the freaking post.

2. "But what if I forma'd an ability slot?  What about all the time I wasted?"  MOVE YOUR POLARITIES out of the ability positions.  It's not that hard to figure out.

Personally, I love getting the extra slots and removing ability mods.  I won't have to decide between Crush and Bullet Attractor on my melee Mag.  I can use Freeze with my standard Frost build now.  I can have Super Jump and Radial Javelin on Excalibur without messing up my build.  No more "I wish I had Roar/Stomp right now" when I'm using one of my Rhino builds.  You people need to stop complaining and rejoice in the fact that the long-awaited time has come; abilities will no longer be in the drop tables.

Exactly my thoughts

8 mod slots is enough modding capacity

Before you start crying test it out 1st

Btw just because you HAVE the 4 abilities doesnt mean you HAVE to use them...

Just dont press 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 its not that hard is it?

Edited by Seyenas

Personally I like the idea.. finally corrupted mods will actually have the downsides they are meant to have and not be the be all ones to use (atleast if you try and use powers you otherwise wouldnt). Along with no longer basically penalising players that choose to use more powers than mutators.

The game may actually become that slightly less easy too (a common complaint beng the game is too easy), because you now need to actually think about corrupted mod usage, even if only momentarily.

To those single power complainers, I'll put to you the same crap those that don't like the new UI got told "you will get used to it".

Major questions I have is:

How will using forma on a warframe and thus resetting it back to rank 0 effect powers that are already ranked and gained?  Will it reset ower ranks as well? Will you keep the power as if you hadnt been reset to rank 0?  Will you be able to use the 2nd/3rd/4th power even if the warframe hasn't releveled to the rank needed to unlock it?

Will powers be able to be reduced in rank?

Any thoughts on letting players increase power aspects individually (those that would increases with ranks now), thus having seperate aspects such as targets, damage, area, duration, effects and the like increased as the player wants (mini tech paths if you will), for more skill diversity?

Like others have asked which power slots will be removed? Some I've made unpolarised others I've changed the polarity on.

Though personally I think a better idea would be to reset all frames to default.

Then remove ability polarities and simply give players an Orokin Forma (for lack of a better term) that doesnt reset your frame (DE hasn't mentioned this type will be given) for each time a frame has been polarised (you could limit it to a max of 10 orokin forma per frame with the rest simply being normal forma, but its likely not needed as forma isnt tradeable anyway and players have put the reranking time in already).  Thus avoiding all complaints (or issues/exploits) that could arise from people loosing out or mod cost changes having altered where they would of initially spent forma.

Edited by Loswaith