Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Ability Mods: Coming Changes

[DE]Rebecca

See I still don't see why people are upset about this so much. I have a four forma Ash (yeah he's badass) but in truth I see no problem with them doing this. 

Why? 

Lets see they said they are going to "add two more slots but take away the ones that were used for powers"

therefore they have 8 mod slots. If you do a ONE power build that would leave you with 7 right for whatever you're going to use without all the extra powers. Yes this way they will be making it instead of having 8 total you will have 6 but you won't have to have the power slots. So you go from 7 to 6. Understandable you'll be upset you can't use as many slots. 

HOWEVER

you get ALL powers of the warframe. AND more slots to do mods(if you consider you had 4 if you used all powers not 6)

Truthfully? Everyone who is complaining about it needs to get over it and learn to level up. 

Edit: 

Also If you have been here as long as me you would have seen when rhino FIRST came out. The mod system and a lot of the abilities have changed. FOR THE BEST.

In truth the DEs are actually trying to help guys. Give them a break. Do you know how hard it is to make a game? REALLY hard. And for the improvements they keep coming out with........ you go guys.

Edited by DarthBane1

Though logically I have nothing against this, there is one thing I have wanted for a long time (told about it on numerous occasions/posts and even in my own collection of ideas) and this new change would/will render impossible:

Universal Ability Mods that can be put into any frame or more than 4 abilities per frames that you can browse and select the 4 you want to use.

From the beginning, it would be cool to be able to make your ability set unique or at least somewhat customizable (and I'm not talking about upgrading damage/duration/range but overall touching the very behaviour of the ability) - for example Frost abilities:

- Level1 ability, Freeze: 25 energy, freezes enemies in target area, causing them to become brittle and susceptible to physical damage for 3-5 seconds. Frozen enemies explode on death, causing cold and blast damage to enemies within range of 2-5.

- Level1 ability, Blizzard: 25 energy, activates cold status effects in target area (min. double aoe than of Freeze) for 7-15 seconds.

- Level1 ability, Spike: 25 energy, Frost hurls a spike of ice that explodes into shrapnels of frozen water when hitting obstacles or enemies, causing piercing, slash damage and possibly knocking enemies over in close vicinity.

- Level2 ability, Ice Wave: 50 energy, Frost forms spikes of ice on the ground in a line, knocking enemies over in birth, causing piercing and slash damage to enemies touching them for the duration - they exist for 5-10 seconds or until they are destroyed (they have health which lowers on hit or contact - meleeing them cause damage to the attacker too!).

- Level2 ability, Mirror of Winter: 50 energy, a layer of ice covers a large area surrounding Frost, causing enemies to fall over (25% chance per second, diminishing returns apply of course).

- Level2 ability, Wall of glass: Frost summons a thick wall of ice, 1-3 meters wide, to block enemy fire and movement. No duration, activated skill, eats 20 energy on activation, 3/sec, wall has 100-300 health, a single attack can only cause damage equal to 10% of the wall's max health (thus it works on higher levels too - though many attacks can whittle it down, fast). It's acceptable that the 10% max dmg is not counted on every attack but every second instead. They can be destroyed by players. In case the wall is destroyed (not by Frost cancelling the ability), it explodes for cold and blast damage, preferably ragdolling enemies within range of 3-7. The wall knocks enemies back or in 25% ragdolls them on spawn if they are too close.

- Level3 ability, Winterhail: 75 energy, a treacherous snowstorm forms at the location of Frost, applying cold status effect on enemies within or touching the globe and lowering enemy ranged attack damage (rockets and grenades still explode for full dmg!)  by 30% when coming in contact with the globe. This means they are lowered if they start from within the globe or the moment they enter it - if they leave and somehow reenter the same globe, they lose 30% dmg again. More globes mean more % off, BUT, the percentage is always taken from actual damage (so effectively it's 70%, 49%, 34,3% etc.).

- Level3 ability, Snowglobe: 75 energy, a huge globe of frozen water forms in front of Frost, then starts rolling forward, knocking enemies it touches back and causing impact and cold damage to them. Enemies have a 25% on contact to be swallowed up by the ball, constantly taking damage while the ball rolls. The ball doesn't stop at walls but "richochets" off of them, slowly rolling, until the duration of 15-30s is up or it loses all it's health of 500-2500. A similar mechanic to what appears at Wall of Glass protects the globe too.

- Level3 ability, Chill of Winter: Sustained aura, within range of 12-25 to Frost, every enemy has 25-75% to fall victim to cold status effect and 5-20% to get fozen solid for 3-5 seconds, ending up being brittle, thus sustaining higher amounts of damage from physical sources (plus explosives maybe).

- Level4 ability, Avalanche: 100energy, large amounts of frozen moisture gathers around Frost, protecting him from damage and exploding outward in a huge blast of snow that has 25% chance to knock enemies over, knocking all other enemies back and causes impact damage to all of them. Enemies knocked over get frozen solid to the already known effects. The area around Frost becomes saturated with floating particles of ice, causing cold damage to enemies that wander within into the area and applying cold status effect on them. Duration of lingering aoe is 20-40 seconds. Range is 10-20.

-  Level4 ability, Castle of Glass: 100 energy, large chunks of ice spring forth from the ground and walls around Frost, preferably around enemies, causing high impact damage on birth and ragdolling enemies they touch (on birth, they are harmless after that, till death). The iceblocks remain until their health (each one of them sperately behave like Wall of Glass, thus they all have their own hp) or the duration reaches 0. They are not spawned or despawned at the same time.

- Level4 ability, Touch of Winter: 100energy, Frost freezes all enemies solid within range of 10-20 for a duration of 5-15s causing them to become brittle thus sustain higher damage from physical attacks. They explode on death as usual. Enemies frozen this way take cold damage every second until they die or the duration ends.

And I still have ideas. It would be cool to be able to choose 4 skills we like, one for every level - not just the base 4. Also having the ability mods among the other 'frame mods, we had the option to skip one for something neat - that's a level of customization and such a thing is always good even if it means players don't use one-or-two unpopular ability.

Lets face it people

this game is in open beta

which means that the game is still CHANGING...ALOT

Do not expect things to stay the same

If you poured 2000 hours of gameplay into maxing all your mods (which is strange, I think... why would you need 2x max skill?)

Then thats your own thing

you get 4 abilities for the cost of 2 mod slots

If you dont want to use the abilities thats your thing again

You can still do alot of stuff with 8 slots and warframes were introduced so you can use your powers 

If you want to play a power-less game you can allways play something else noone is forcing you to play

This change is not unfair or something it is just what warframes were meant for from the beginning

If you dont like the changes ppl shouldnt have complained about the mod drop tables of the skills to begin with

Its a little to late now so why do you complain if you cant change it anyway

Just look at the update and see how it goes 1st and if you still dont like it you can still leave for good

I agree with the trinity players , maybe create an option to set the level of the skill you want to have

Edited by Seyenas

NOTE: If you had already maxed or ranked Ability Mods, you will not be affected by this. This applies for newly acquired Warframes post Update 15.

NOTE 2: The number of casts required is subject to change and only an example in this context.

We need to have all the ability mods on our warframes before U15 hits, to not to lvl up the abilitys?

How about people who have had polerized more than 2 ability slots? e.g. 3 in my case?

cO

only 2 mod slots will be refunded and deleted

your 3rd modified slot will stay the same

You can actually read that in the description if you care about reading before posting a waste-of-time comment

Though logically I have nothing against this, there is one thing I have wanted for a long time (told about it on numerous occasions/posts and even in my own collection of ideas) and this new change would/will render impossible:

Universal Ability Mods that can be put into any frame or more than 4 abilities per frames that you can browse and select the 4 you want to use.

From the beginning, it would be cool to be able to make your ability set unique or at least somewhat customizable (and I'm not talking about upgrading damage/duration/range but overall touching the very behaviour of the ability) - for example Frost abilities:

- Level1 ability, Freeze: 25 energy, freezes enemies in target area, causing them to become brittle and susceptible to physical damage for 3-5 seconds. Frozen enemies explode on death, causing cold and blast damage to enemies within range of 2-5.

- Level1 ability, Blizzard: 25 energy, activates cold status effects in target area (min. double aoe than of Freeze) for 7-15 seconds.

- Level1 ability, Spike: 25 energy, Frost hurls a spike of ice that explodes into shrapnels of frozen water when hitting obstacles or enemies, causing piercing, slash damage and possibly knocking enemies over in close vicinity.

- Level2 ability, Ice Wave: 50 energy, Frost forms spikes of ice on the ground in a line, knocking enemies over in birth, causing piercing and slash damage to enemies touching them for the duration - they exist for 5-10 seconds or until they are destroyed (they have health which lowers on hit or contact - meleeing them cause damage to the attacker too!).

- Level2 ability, Mirror of Winter: 50 energy, a layer of ice covers a large area surrounding Frost, causing enemies to fall over (25% chance per second, diminishing returns apply of course).

- Level2 ability, Wall of glass: Frost summons a thick wall of ice, 1-3 meters wide, to block enemy fire and movement. No duration, activated skill, eats 20 energy on activation, 3/sec, wall has 100-300 health, a single attack can only cause damage equal to 10% of the wall's max health (thus it works on higher levels too - though many attacks can whittle it down, fast). It's acceptable that the 10% max dmg is not counted on every attack but every second instead. They can be destroyed by players. In case the wall is destroyed (not by Frost cancelling the ability), it explodes for cold and blast damage, preferably ragdolling enemies within range of 3-7. The wall knocks enemies back or in 25% ragdolls them on spawn if they are too close.

- Level3 ability, Winterhail: 75 energy, a treacherous snowstorm forms at the location of Frost, applying cold status effect on enemies within or touching the globe and lowering enemy ranged attack damage (rockets and grenades still explode for full dmg!)  by 30% when coming in contact with the globe. This means they are lowered if they start from within the globe or the moment they enter it - if they leave and somehow reenter the same globe, they lose 30% dmg again. More globes mean more % off, BUT, the percentage is always taken from actual damage (so effectively it's 70%, 49%, 34,3% etc.).

- Level3 ability, Snowglobe: 75 energy, a huge globe of frozen water forms in front of Frost, then starts rolling forward, knocking enemies it touches back and causing impact and cold damage to them. Enemies have a 25% on contact to be swallowed up by the ball, constantly taking damage while the ball rolls. The ball doesn't stop at walls but "richochets" off of them, slowly rolling, until the duration of 15-30s is up or it loses all it's health of 500-2500. A similar mechanic to what appears at Wall of Glass protects the globe too.

- Level3 ability, Chill of Winter: Sustained aura, within range of 12-25 to Frost, every enemy has 25-75% to fall victim to cold status effect and 5-20% to get fozen solid for 3-5 seconds, ending up being brittle, thus sustaining higher amounts of damage from physical sources (plus explosives maybe).

- Level4 ability, Avalanche: 100energy, large amounts of frozen moisture gathers around Frost, protecting him from damage and exploding outward in a huge blast of snow that has 25% chance to knock enemies over, knocking all other enemies back and causes impact damage to all of them. Enemies knocked over get frozen solid to the already known effects. The area around Frost becomes saturated with floating particles of ice, causing cold damage to enemies that wander within into the area and applying cold status effect on them. Duration of lingering aoe is 20-40 seconds. Range is 10-20.

Level4 ability, Castle of Glass: 100 energy, large chunks of ice spring forth from the ground and walls around Frost, preferably around enemies, causing high impact damage on birth and ragdolling enemies they touch (on birth, they are harmless after that, till death). The iceblocks remain until their health (each one of them sperately behave like Wall of Glass, thus they all have their own hp) or the duration reaches 0. They are not spawned or despawned at the same time.

- Level4 ability, Touch of Winter: 100energy, Frost freezes all enemies solid within range of 10-20 for a duration of 5-15s causing them to become brittle thus sustain higher damage from physical attacks. They explode on death as usual. Enemies frozen this way take cold damage every second until they die or the duration ends.

And I still have ideas. It would be cool to be able to choose 4 skills we like, one for every level - not just the base 4. Also having the ability mods among the other 'frame mods, we had the option to skip one for something neat - that's a level of customization and such a thing is always good even if it means players don't use one-or-two unpopular ability.

There will be ability mod mutations for the skills of different warframes but no universally usable skill-mods by all warframes

how would you even trigger them?

You cant bind them to 1 2 3 4 so it would need to be on another button and if you would put all ability mods into your warframe you would need alot of keys

And how is the system supposed to auto-asign the new ability mods to begin wth? I mean you can allways change keybindings later but first the skills have to be mentioned in the keybinding-option screen

You can actually read that in the description if you care about reading before posting a waste-of-time comment

I think the problem is if he had polarized 3 ability slots then he used only one ability and had a build with the other 9 slots, with the change he will have the 4 abilities but in the other hand he will have only 8 slots for his build.

I think the problem is if he had polarized 3 ability slots then he used only one ability and had a build with the other 9 slots, with the change he will have the 4 abilities but in the other hand he will have only 8 slots for his build.

well that is a common issue that many people have with the change

I already Pmed DERebecca about this and other issues, but as already said by many other people the only solution would be to let there still be 10/9 mod slots which would be too OP imo

Actually having 4 seperate abilities means there is more chance of having universal powers or even different ones (though unlikely to have more than 4 simultaneously).  If you think of the way they plan to do powers as specific power mod slots (like the aura one) of their own, rather than the current set up where you can actually put powers.

So you basically are getting minor (1), meduim(2), strong(3) and ultimate(4) power slots.  However with the current system the hotkey type isnt coded so a slot (as you can put them in any of the 10 slots) but coded to a specific power for a frame (eg the second power with a default bind of the 2 key, Ironskin in the case of Rhino, Radial Blind for Excalibur, Accelerant for Ember, Speed for volt, Bounce for Vauban, Terrify for Nekros and so forth).

The new system will actually inherantly enable DE to add new powers much more easilly (potentially of specific ranks for balance purposes).  So for example say a new universal power comes along called Cosmic Assult thats considered a medium (2) rank power. 

In the current system there is no hotkey for Cosmic Assult in any frames setup, thus making it very hard to even use with also needing to add further code to stop you equiping powers that should be mutually exclusive, (Iron Skin and the Cosmic Assult power in the case of Rhino). 

In the new system Rhino simply swaps out his Iron Skin (because it is also a medium power) and anytime you press your second power hotkey (default key being 2) you now use Cosmic Assault. 

If you were using excalibur however you would be swaping out Radial Blind for Cosmic Assult, Volt would swap out Speed, Ember would swap out Accellerant, Vauban would swap out Bounce and so forth.  However you now only need to press the hotkey for your second power reguardless of the actual power that the farme is using.

They could just as easily flag a neutral power to be applicable for all frames.  I'm not a coding genius and either they leave the restriction empty or have it qualify for every specific frame (both options could work depending on the code).  The only tricky part is designing the animation for every warframe but as long as they share a specific theme, such as an Ordis-assisted orbital strike/delivery system it should be easy enough to make the animation the same and have the actual effect be different.

Claiming that this proposed change makes it easier to add neutral powers neglects the fact that a new UI has to be designed to manage said powers and it has to be unique for each build (A, B, and C).  Mods are so much more simple in this regard since the current UI already supports them and it adds far more customization options since a neutral ability could replace any existing power.

EDIT:  Besides, the fact that ability slots 1-4 do not actually correspond to ability commands 1-4 has always bothered me.  I should be able to place Iron skin in ability slot 1 and use ability command 1 if I want; it's called customization after all.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph

And you are just writing instead of thinking, right?

4 Ability slots. 3 Forma'd. THREE OF THEM HAS BEEN MODIFIED. TWO ARE GOING TO BE ALTERED (no polarization) OR WILL STAY AS IT IS - WHAT THE F... WILL HAPPEN TO THE 3RD ONE, WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Geez. People who are thinking that they are much smarter than you are p*ssing me off.

And don't reply with "well, one unpolarized slot will be taken over by that one" - that's not acceptable at all. It will ruin the whole build!

Edited by Pacheon

well that is a common issue that many people have with the change

I already Pmed DERebecca about this and other issues, but as already said by many other people the only solution would be to let there still be 10/9 mod slots which would be too OP imo

One of the fun things I like about this game is being OP!  Having 9 or 10 mod slots instead of 8 doesn't make it all that more OP imho.  Just introduce a Tower 5 key to compensate. :)

Having 9 or 10 slots will actually increase the customizability and playability of the game even more.  Think of the variations you can do to your build with those extra slots.  Also, given DE's propensity to nerf things in the game over time, you'll be glad of those extra 1 or 2 slots!

My only hope is that DE will seriously re-consider this given the overwhelming feedback on the forum since the announcement.  I'm constantly surprised by the many passionate players in this game and hope that DE realizes and values this too.

I approve of the changes being discussed, but I run with 3-4 abilities on every warframe and use them.

That said, I have always felt the slot system was an artificial limit that greatly inhibits the usefulness of the mod system, which I think is an otherwise great concept.  I'd prefer a limitless slot system where the limit is the mod energy you have available.  There is a still a hard limit on power creep, but it opens the door to more generalized builds that are less about min-maxing for 2 hour survival missions and are just good builds that allow you to put on something like master thief without gimping yourself.

But anyhow, there's a case for putting a limit on variety as well.  The changes described here bring me personally more variety, so I'm happy with it.

And you are just writing instead of thinking, right?

4 Ability slots. 3 Forma'd. THREE OF THEM HAS BEEN MODIFIED. TWO ARE GOING TO BE ALTERED (no polarization) OR WILL STAY AS IT IS - WHAT THE F... WILL HAPPEN TO THE 3RD ONE, WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Geez. People who are thinking that they are much smarter than you are p*ssing me off.

And don't reply with "well, one unpolarized slot will be taken over by that one" - that's not acceptable at all. It will ruin the whole build!

As already said two of the ability slots will be TAKEN=DELETED so you will get two formas as refund

However your 3rd formad ability slot will stay the SAME and your 4th ability slot will lose the = polarity

Of course it depends on which slots you formad but 1 slot will at least be taken and you get a forma for that

As I already said you can read that on DERebeccas comment

And please being &!$$ed of and insulting helps noone but just causes stress and frustration for everyone. Lets handle this in a mature way

If I did understand something wrong please elaborate the situation in a clearer way because at the moment I cannot understand what you mean for 100% because your comment is very strangely written

Edited by Seyenas

One of the fun things I like about this game is being OP!  Having 9 or 10 mod slots instead of 8 doesn't make it all that more OP imho.  Just introduce a Tower 5 key to compensate. :)

Having 9 or 10 slots will actually increase the customizability and playability of the game even more.  Think of the variations you can do to your build with those extra slots.  Also, given DE's propensity to nerf things in the game over time, you'll be glad of those extra 1 or 2 slots!

My only hope is that DE will seriously re-consider this given the overwhelming feedback on the forum since the announcement.  I'm constantly surprised by the many passionate players in this game and hope that DE realizes and values this too.

Well you said it yourself

They nerfed the slots

means there will be less nerfs in the future

Be happy, dont worry :)

why do they need to introduce new T5 keys if they can just take 2 slots?

You can build pretty good Warframes with 8 slots that are very viable for end-game already

AND you can still feel op but with 4 skills instead of having to limit your OP-ness to only 1 or even no skill

(I only ment that 10 slots + 4 skills is too op)

This is open-beta

things change

If you dont like it come back when its officially out of open beta

Have fun good sir

Edited by Seyenas

Well you said it yourself

They nerfed the slots

means there will be less nerfs in the future

Be happy, dont worry :)

why do they need to introduce new T5 keys if they can just take 2 slots?

You can build pretty good Warframes with 8 slots that are very viable for end-game already

AND you can still feel op but with 4 skills instead of having to limit your OP-ness to only 1 or even no skill

(I only ment that 10 slots + 4 skills is too op)

This is open-beta

things change

If you dont like it come back when its officially out of open beta

Have fun good sir

Yup, this is beta indeed and I suppose I should've known what I was getting into.

As with U14 player ship and Mod UI screen changes, while I didn't totally like them (I like simple UI's :), I got used to them after sinking more hours playing.  Sure, I'll probably resign myself to the 8-slots change and accept it after a while.  I usually use 2 or 3 abilities on a majority of my warframes so this actually works for me.  I do run my Nova and Excal with a single ability though for T4's, so will just shuffle some mods around.

The thing is, when something is given, it always hurts to have them removed, beta or not.  Like you said, maybe it is time to move on.  Warframe has been the longest single game I've played to date since I started playing it on the PS4 around April'14.  I stopped my ps3/ps4 trophy hunting since I was so hooked onto Warframe.  I know, not relevant to this discussion, but just wanted to show how enthused I am about Warframe!  Well, let's see how it goes then...

I approve of the changes being discussed, but I run with 3-4 abilities on every warframe and use them.

That said, I have always felt the slot system was an artificial limit that greatly inhibits the usefulness of the mod system, which I think is an otherwise great concept.  I'd prefer a limitless slot system where the limit is the mod energy you have available.  There is a still a hard limit on power creep, but it opens the door to more generalized builds that are less about min-maxing for 2 hour survival missions and are just good builds that allow you to put on something like master thief without gimping yourself.

But anyhow, there's a case for putting a limit on variety as well.  The changes described here bring me personally more variety, so I'm happy with it.

The funny thing is that even with an unlimited amount of slot you would still be one shot by heavy gunner eventualy, without being able to kill them with your power.

Edited by DantX

Yup, this is beta indeed and I suppose I should've known what I was getting into.

As with U14 player ship and Mod UI screen changes, while I didn't totally like them (I like simple UI's :), I got used to them after sinking more hours playing.  Sure, I'll probably resign myself to the 8-slots change and accept it after a while.  I usually use 2 or 3 abilities on a majority of my warframes so this actually works for me.  I do run my Nova and Excal with a single ability though for T4's, so will just shuffle some mods around.

The thing is, when something is given, it always hurts to have them removed, beta or not.  Like you said, maybe it is time to move on.  Warframe has been the longest single game I've played to date since I started playing it on the PS4 around April'14.  I stopped my ps3/ps4 trophy hunting since I was so hooked onto Warframe.  I know, not relevant to this discussion, but just wanted to show how enthused I am about Warframe!  Well, let's see how it goes then...

Im allways of the opinion that you should check something out first before you complain about it/hate on it

Maybe U15 isnt as baaad as so many people think it is.

just look at all the new and shiny stuff that will come out with it and experience the changes firsthand or if you want to complain now, you can allways try to make a WF with 8 mod slots taken and imagine 4 abilities with it if you want as close to U15 look at builds and so on

Normally if i dont like a game anymore, I go and play something else and/or come back at a later time. Maybe my opinion about certain things has changed by then, or new content was released or changes that were made were made back or other things that repay me for what i complained about appeared.

I mean this change isnt all bad like many people complain about

1st it will only affect Warframes with 0 or 1 skill like no-power builds and f.e. nekros (I like his ulti and terrorize and use it)

and i do not think that 2 slots less will make a huge impact. You can still fit your most important mods in just some goodies might be missed

but you come by

You just have to play a little bit better which in my opinion makes it a little bit more fun overall to play even

Edited by Seyenas

I'm not even mad. For me, it's free 1-2 slots for mods and extra 10-18 energy points, because abilities will no longer drain them. Dem possibilities...

@edit: I've just noticed that I've just rapped by accident like a boss.

Edited by Roxorium

The funny thing is that even with an unlimited amount of slot you would still be one shot by heavy gunner eventualy, without being able to kill them with you power.

Generally true. Although I fear, during the majority of these conversations, there is too much focus on whether mods grant value in raw damage/raw defense as opposed to looking at the whole picture. 

Like how slotting enemy sense (considered a weaker mod by many) makes you less likely to be flanked or surprised by an enemy.

So that mod has potential value in avoiding damage despite having no direct effect on shields, health or armor.

I believe it is DE's intention to make us have to pick and choose between that stuff.

And basically, when DE allowed us to forma away our abilities things kind of got out of hand for what they envisioned for their classes. 

Its a Rhino wasted. If you wanted a melee build and you wont use iron skin and roar, then you should go play valkyr and keep warcry. Btw, why having flow if you have no skills at all? You don't need it for Life strike to work fine.

Honestly, aren't a lot of the 0 or 1 ability builds people are fighting for either...

trying to make a frame do something it isn't supposed to do OR trying to keep the extra utility on some super specialized to the point of OP build?