Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Ability Mods: Coming Changes

[DE]Rebecca

MANY players have pointed out

1) thanks for the refund on used forma

and

2) I really don't want to have to spend all that time regrinding all my warframe's back to 30 when I put the refunded forma back unto my warframe.

#2 seems to be the biggest concern of the majority. it's been a 5 days since this post was made. would really like to hear if there is a solution to this.

I do not know if this has been brought up yet. I have read through a lot of this post and haven't seen anything.

The people who are concerned about re leveling their frame when they add forma back on to the slots.

First it really doesn't take that much time to lvl a frame to 30 however is it a possibility that DE has considered giving out or making another alert available to provide a 3 or 7 day affinity booster? Either way ill be happy because i get to go through making changes to my builds (which i think will make them sooo much more fun).

Just a thought.

Thanks

And again to Rebecca, Steve and all the rest of DE a big thanks from me and Steve keep rockin' the pink shorts.

10 slots and DE doesn't have to refund anything.  No one questions their past or future booster purchases.  No one feels unjustly compelled to rebooster.  No legendary forma necessary.  The script is the simplest it can be.  Covert zenurka polarity to no polarity.  No one risks losing anything.  No one ends up with extra capacity points because the new system requires less forma.

It's the headache free approach and people can keep forma-ing because they have the slots.  You can't forma slots that don't exist.

Moving core functions (health, damage, abilities) off the mod system does not make this a standard RPG. It's something people on these forums have been asking for for a long time, and something that will dramatically improve the quality of the game.

I think that could essentially render the mod system useless...

10 slots and DE doesn't have to refund anything.  No one questions their past or future booster purchases.  No one feels unjustly compelled to rebooster.  No legendary forma necessary.  The script is the simplest it can be.  Covert zenurka polarity to no polarity.  No one risks losing anything.  No one ends up with extra capacity points because the new system requires less forma.

It's the headache free approach and people can keep forma-ing because they have the slots.  You can't forma slots that don't exist.

This is true. When it comes to making the transition itself painless this is the most effective route.

However....

DE seems to feel that letting players have 10 mod slots will be an unwanted increase over their intended power ceiling.

Some players agree with that, some do not. Opinions vary.

At any rate the only real hope to change DE's mind on this transition (symptom) is to change their mind about the power ceiling (cause).

@ThePresident777

The only problem I see with having 10 mod slots is that DE wants to add other types of mods to the mix (augmentation).  Warframes already have 11 mod slots, so this would be 12 if not more when everything is said and done.  I think DE is trying to streamline this process without giving too much power to the players (no need for nerfs).  I agree it is a very simple idea, we just don't know DE's long-term plans so it may not fit with these unknowns.

EDIT:  Short of giving the players 10 mod slots to use, Legendary Forma seem like the only way to create an entirely painless transition for every player, new or veteran.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph

There are so many unused mods that actually make the game more fun and rewarding to play with. We should be gaining slots for them, not losing slots we already had access to. Most of my builds will see no gain/loss as I build nearly every frame for 2 abilities, but this is such a waste of a perfect opportunity to increase diversity.

^THIS

There are so many unused mods that actually make the game more fun and rewarding to play with. We should be gaining slots for them, not losing slots we already had access to. Most of my builds will see no gain/loss as I build nearly every frame for 2 abilities, but this is such a waste of a perfect opportunity to increase diversity.

No one will use them even if more slots are given, because they are useless anyway. Either buff them or nerf the others or both to actually make your point valid. Until then bringing back the additional two slots shouldn't be too much an issue; well, actually as equally scandalous.

Yes, yes, and please, yes!

If any player thinks that 10 slots is a bad idea and will stop playing the game for good because of it, I'll personally refund what you spent on the game thus far! :)

Indeed, this will make the transition very smooth.  No apples/bowls analogy needed (this already is a red flag if an analogy is needed).  Plus all the other benefits that other players have already pointed out.  Please, DE, do reconsider.  If you do, I'll promise to spend at least another $500 on the game by this year!!!  ;-p

As you can tell, I'm desperate....

yep, instead of removing the 2 slots , it would be more ideal to having those slots be dedicated 'utility' mod slots, ie only able to slot things like handspring, intruder, warm coat, etc

otherwise those mods are going to continue to never be used, as the trade of them vs any other core stat mod (hp/shld/spd/duration/range/power/flow/etc) is not even close

obvious this would require DE to create a new class of mods, and categorize all the 'utility' mods, just like they did with auras, but IMHO, i think this would have been the smarter play

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

This problem of removing mods equitably is much easier. Treat the list of existing polarities as a string read left to right just like in pvp mod activation, with x as the empty polarity. e.g. =vxx==dxx=

Replace all = with x. Refund 4 - (replacements made) forma.

With this method, no polarized slots get touched. Players who used forma can already move slots around however they like.

Remove natural talent. Soundquake doesn't have that long of a casting time, and it goes through walls. You'll want to be in cover when you do it anyway, since it leaves Banshee very vulnerable. Bam, your build is still fine.

Umm, you try that in a high level ODS or T3/4S...being able to stun a large amount of enemies fast has saved me more times than I can count.

not peticularry looking forward to forming 8 of my warframes...

it would be cool if DE would at least give ye'ol veteran players affinity boost alert so at lest it will be less painfull...

or 

if player already forated ability slot and switched its position still cut the slot that took its place less painfull for veteran players

Edited by Anubias

Finally, I've been waiting for the devs to do this since new new mod system came out. Thanks DE :)

Won't be so painful for me since I was never big on formaing my frames or anything along those lines, I've actually been anticipating this for a while so investing time and effort into it seemed like a waste when they could change the system at any point.

Edited by M3GAL0

Small issue i was wondering about: Say one polarized slot is removed, will the script also remove one star from that warframe's "polarization counter" or w/e you want to call it? I'd assume it would but I just thought I'd ask

Hey guys who like one power builds-

What if the new Power augment system allows you to get the same awesomeness from whatever ability you use to focus your whole build around...

but doesn't mess up other powers like corrupted mods often do? If that is the case you would not actually be loosing anything.

Just a possibility of course....

EDIT:

Let's think more about that for a minute.
How many of the mods on any one power build exist for the sole purpose of improving that one power? Particularly, which of those mods are corrupted and so while they improve that one power they are actually detrimental to other powers. 
Now, a single power augment mod, since it required grinding out syndicate rep, could potentially add the same level of greatness to that ability without the need to slot one or two of those corrupted mods.
And since it's not a corrupted mod, it doesn't take anything away.
Meaning you get the same awesome power you like to focus on, without making other powers worse, AND still leaving room for whatever utility mods you had.

Also note: if DE went with 10 slots then people could combine their current fully focused on one power builds with the new power augment mod. That would very likely result in an increase in the power of that build compared to what it is right now.
Some folks may not care about that....but for many, balance is something of a concern.
Edited by Ronyn

This seems to be geared towards newer players who generally have most if not all of their abilities in, and don't forma frames much. Which is a good idea, but this also punishes people who build frames with only one skill used (such as Saryn + Miasma, Nekros + Desecrate, Nyx + Chaos) as it forces them to use one less slot. I'd say consider adding one more slot, or allow us to sacrifice 1-2 abilities (as in get them removed, not totally destroyed) to get some more mod space. If you want those abilities back, you'd have to lose that 1-2 extra slot(s). Of course, these are just suggestions, and I'm not sure how it would play out in the long run. But either way, I am really excited for these changes.

Edited by NyxCrab

This system is not a good idea for new players either because it disincentivizes forma which disincentivizes boosters.  More slots, incentivizes more forma more which incentivizes more boosters.

And, we're not really getting more slots because not all powers are worth slotting as it is so people are trading off the powers they don't care for the power they do and modding for that.  They are not now modding for 4 abilities and after this they will mot modd for 4 abilities, except possibly in lower level missions.  But, if you're going to confine yourself to lower level missions, you're not going to do ODD.  No ODD, no corrupted mods.  Without T2, T3, and T4 they're not going to get any orokin tech.

The whole systems starts to fall apart if people are not incentivized to or impeded from power up.

Edited by ThePresident777

Sorry to bring up a previous point but let's not forget that actively using 4 powers with a controller is a complete mess, especially for powers that require a target.  Most of my friends have resorted to the 'cycle power left/right' and 'activate power' combo and let's just say that cycling through 4 is very difficult compared to cycling through 2, or even 3.  Again, this change is probably intended to be a benefit but there are several factors that prove otherwise.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph

DE is promoting this new system as a gain of 4 abilities(always present, no trade off) plus 2 extra mod slots compared to the current system.  Are we to believe that having 4 abilities plus 2 more mod slots is a loss?  Then how can it be a gain?  If it's a gain and it's balanced then we are saying that more is balanced, not less.  Furthermore, it says that the game was previously unbalanced by having less.  That would be an unusual claim in these forums where less is always the argument for balance.  Some peopel say that the game is already to easy, the Tenno OP.  They should be saying that 2 more slots, let alone 4 is too much.  They should be saying that more than 6 slots removes the trade off of corrupted mods.  Trade off is balance, right?

About the unused mods, or useless mods, with 10 slots people will use them while they are farming the better mods, making them not useless.  It takes a lot of time to get the better mods.  And, this point comes around to the balance issue.  If the mods are useless then having the room for them, i.e. 10 slots, isn't going to throw the game out of balance.

It's a bit contradictory to say forget about the useless mods because they are useless and yet consider it a positive outcome to have all 4 abilities present on every Warframe.  Many abilities are considered useless and this change does not change that at all.

I'm not advocating for 12 mod slots.  I'm advocating for keeping what we have, 10 mod slots and 1 aura slot.  And I don't understand how that clashes with augmentation mods.

Edited by ThePresident777